[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HOOD SCOOP?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

HOOD SCOOP?

Postby CamryOnBronze » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:16 am

I don't think outside air would offer much cooling honestly. The only thing that I think you would see results from would be a bag of ice on the blower. Mine used to heatsoak like a mofo... I made like 25 whp more on a dyno run with a big bag of ice on the blower for twenty minutes prior to the run, compared to one without ice. I don't think air from a scoop would offer much benefit- you need something seriously cold to make a difference.
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mazen222 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:21 am

Im not against it... it looks nice and it def help cool off the engine or what ever is under your hood.
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 am

CamryOnBronze wrote:I don't think outside air would offer much cooling honestly. The only thing that I think you would see results from would be a bag of ice on the blower. Mine used to heatsoak like a mofo... I made like 25 whp more on a dyno run with a big bag of ice on the blower for twenty minutes prior to the run, compared to one without ice. I don't think air from a scoop would offer much benefit- you need something seriously cold to make a difference.

Anything to get those dyno #'s up :wink:

Now THAT'S *seriously cold*! :lol:

Well, I'm going to hold off for now, the rain could be an issue, but I could put something at the opening (Foam rubber piece, etc) when it looks like rain. I really think it can only help with the SC and certainly couldn't hurt (if you can block water from comming in). You have PROVEN that cooling the SC works and the scoop WILL keep it cooler, albeit not like the ice.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CamryOnBronze » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:50 pm

very true, Im sure any air in there would make some sort of difference. Maybe not the biggest, but always worth a shot. Just keep it subtle and keep it classy! ;)
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:10 pm

that reverse hood scoop was pretty unique. and you wouldn't get rain it in while driving since the rain will be plastering you from the other direction. parked, not so sure. I'm not against the scoop.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby BLACK V6 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 pm

I actually saw a gen 1 with one today. It didn't look bad. I'm not gonna say it looked crazy good or anything but it def. wasn't bad. I shouldve shot a pic but I was messing with my iPod. I wasnt a very wide one though it was a bit small. I think a low, wide one would look sweet.
2002 Desert Silver Metallic RSX Type S

BLACK V6
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Reverse scoop is a definite possibility as well, but if it's just a *rain* consideration, I would simply put in a foam rubber piece either way.
Someone posted that reverse is better due to *air pressure* dynamics. I still think RAM air will flow through there. I saw a video on *Myth Busters* TV show which had a camera mounted to a Cobra, pointing at the hood scoop. They had strings hanging from the top of the sccop which showed them bending into the scoop as the car drove faster and faster. Definite air flow blowing in there.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:16 pm

BLACK V6 wrote:I actually saw a gen 1 with one today. It didn't look bad. I'm not gonna say it looked crazy good or anything but it def. wasn't bad. I shouldve shot a pic but I was messing with my iPod. I wasnt a very wide one though it was a bit small. I think a low, wide one would look sweet.

Here ya go...they market it for Gen 4 Camry

http://interstore.com/product/125-97575/92154/LUND_Hood_Scoops_80004_1997-2000_Toyota_Camry.html?ref=base

RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Scoop would flow air dead center and back...right over the SC (to the right a bit). It would also flow air over the EGR pipe (exhaust pipe which you can see just to the right of the SC) and THROTTLE BODY. Would it help with the rear exhaust as well? Why not? The SC is getting radient heat from that area as well.

Last edited by RON on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:38 pm

I think that instead of the scoop you should attempt to do something more like a windshield area venting. That way, if you do get some cooling the appearance of the car won't be affected.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:44 pm

gnegroni wrote:I think that instead of the scoop you should attempt to do something more like a windshield area venting. That way, if you do get some cooling the appearance of the car won't be affected.

Yeah..I thought of that...cutting vents into the hood at the back. That would really be a challenge *cosmetically*. How do you cut real clean looking vents there? Then you have the water problem. With the scoop, it's easy to plug it with foam rubber piece. Can't do that with vents...although you could place something under the hood...???
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:38 pm

Hood vents are also a possibility. Check this out:

http://myturbomiata.com/journal/thumbnails.php?album=6

RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Pogs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:20 am

For another style of hood vents you can check this out Ron.
It is a full DIY instruction. I dont think it looks bad at all... just "risky"

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=324009&st=0
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby panic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:00 am

Vent = hot air exit.
Reverse scoop = hot air exit.

You still have no air added, let alone cold air.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PhreakdOut » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:39 am

Add a spacer to lift up the rear end of your hood. (This is using longer hood bolts and flat spacers between the hinge bracket and the hood. The end result is the windshield side of the hood has a gap that allows air to exit the engine compartment.

The idea is to increase the flow of air entering and exiting the engine bay. You will see this on drift cars.

My honest opinion, you don't need this at all. Skip hood vents or scoops and they are tacky and take away from the stealthy look you have going. As Damon said, keep it clean and classy.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction