[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - turbo v. supercharge: 1mz
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

turbo v. supercharge: 1mz

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 am

UltraslowSolara wrote:any jdm engine is illegal i believe. I also never hear ANY RWD solara (beside the drag racing one, streetglow and another one). Also solara certainly not a performance car because the heavy weight and inferior suspension design.

Nutty101 can you tell us what you have done and maybe some pictures?

Engines made in the same year OR newer THAT ARE DISTRIBUTED in the USA in production vehicles that have a displacement that is the same OR LESS qualify. (at least in California those are the rulss...)

Example:
Honda Type R swaps are legal because the CRX had the Type R engine one year... the only difference lied in the EGR valve or somecrap... most inspection places can't tell =P
---
Also, to reply regarding the "Solara was made to be a hanlder"

Have you driven any other cars? hahaha There are a lot of front wheel drive cars, WHEN STOCK, that handle better than a Solara that is modded w/ the best suspension! Hondas must have the best handling front wheel drive cars out there... too bad they don't have torque =]
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Nutty101 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:52 am

Jackass-Jeff wrote:Also, to reply regarding the "Solara was made to be a hanlder"

Have you driven any other cars? hahaha There are a lot of front wheel drive cars, WHEN STOCK, that handle better than a Solara that is modded w/ the best suspension! Hondas must have the best handling front wheel drive cars out there... too bad they don't have torque =]

Yeah I have. I can say that a delsole,s2000 and a older hatchback slide before I do. The s2000 and hatchback are modded also. Who knows, maybe im high or something. Just my view of it.
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mandarinsolara » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:27 pm

solara is def not the best handling car but not the worst either.
funny how ferrari's and bmw's cover up the scca, but solara's dont
anyways, thats not what im talking about. what retard actually races other people around corners on their way home from work?

its all legal here guys. nobody checks, nobody cares about the motors

smokestacks? wtf!? interesting concept. i highly doubt i will be doing that though.
this is more like AAR style sidepipes. or... like the mopar neon srt-4 sidepipes. not the ac 427 cobra style. lol that'd be funny.
throwin flames is the reason behind that.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby returnofthedack » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:01 am

i know this topic hasnt really been talked about for the past month and weeks, but something had come to mind in the way of turbo and i thought i'd reincarnate it for discussion. I'm a supercharger kinda guy myself, but the sound of a turbo and bov is uncomparable. a few topics back in i believe the aftermarket upgrades, someone had posted how the toyota sienna had twin throttle body set up. this can make way for a twin turbo (potentially). wouldnt that be a better alternative than one big turbo? you'd get the power u want, plus a smaller amount of lag time. and it is much more imaginable. comments?
www.seandackermann.com

The only person that can stop you in life, is yourself
returnofthedack
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mandarinsolara » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:57 pm

im a fan of the "herky-jerky" lag time myself. (im talkin like a T78 or larger)
but yes, i do suppose it would be easier to route twin turbo's to twin throttle bodies, say, if you made dual intercoolers. but if you want a large fmic then the single TB is easier... along with a single turbo.

and for what all of the right components would cost to do a complete job. (including engine reinforcment) you would be pretty well set on a 2jz-gte with tranny. installing it is another story, but you'll have one. lol

but in further assessment, id rather take the easy way out and just buy a supra. originality and magazine covers can wait.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TRD_solaRa » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:20 pm

Mandarinsolara wrote: . . . i do suppose it would be easier to route twin turbo's to twin throttle bodies, say, if you made dual intercoolers. but if you want a large fmic then the single TB is easier... along with a single turbo.

Actually you do NOT need "dual intercoolers" . . . that would be much more inefficient, especially since you'd lose more PSI (due to some pressure drop) by using 2 intercoolers. A single front mount is more than enough for a single or twin turbo set up for the Solara. Some cars doe have the "dual intercoolers" stock such as the 300zx, and a new V35 twin turbo kit also utilizes the them. But because of the way our car is built . . . a single front mount intercooler is better (& less complications)
TRD_solaRa
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby returnofthedack » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:05 pm

yea i understand the rush of a big turbo and just letting it all lose, i guess just the appealing of the car and its image, twin turbos or a smaller turbo would just kinda fit its image of being smooth, and more sleeper. but a big turbo, i'd save that for a supra :lol: damn i cant wait... lol
www.seandackermann.com

The only person that can stop you in life, is yourself
returnofthedack
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

yea i wish i could turbo my solara too...

Postby si1verbu1et » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:39 pm

I like being out of the ordinary, like first fixing up a solara because not a lot of people around here do that, second wanting a turbo in it, and third a turbo sounds so sweet with a bov. People that do fix solaras resort to the effective way of supercharging it. I want to be out of the ordinary and turbo charge it. I dont have deep pockets at all and i dont want to fry my solara...=( i cant afford it. *sigh* one day in life we will get our turbo solaras, just hang in there guys.
si1verbu1et
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Turbosolara » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:54 pm

last time my supra friend drove my solara and he drove really really slow. I ask him why he drove so slow and he told me that he thought my solara was going to flip over and he will never drive a solara again.

and anyway, anything is possible, but just power = money
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Mandarinsolara » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:54 pm

^
lol that schit is funny.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:00 pm

Mandarinsolara wrote:you mean those nascar-style side pipes i'll have? mufflers are for the californians (a.k.a. the weak) just playin :)

Ahem....

the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Mandarinsolara » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:49 pm

^ lol that sig is sweet dude.

almost as sweet as the straight pipe , but....
angle cut tip? .... maybe not so cool
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:51 pm

people dont really seem to care much about that when i am at anything higher than 3000rpm.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby thatdamngood777 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Soooo...heres how it seems. Superchargers cause less problems and is a helluva lot cheaper to install, parts and all, while trying to put turbo in your Solara will probably be around $6000+ for all of the parts and cause a LOT of problems. Also, turbo's are faster at higher rpm's while turbochargers are faster right off the bat. I think I'll stick with the supercharger and take my chances if any problems happen! :fadein: This car wasen't built for street racing so i don't need turbo! Its built to look damn good and have more then decent speed on normal roads.
thatdamngood777
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mandarinsolara » Sun May 01, 2005 9:17 pm

thatdamngood777 wrote:. Also, turbo's are faster at higher rpm's while turbochargers are faster right off the bat.

yuck please edit that
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction