[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Poll on turbo kit production
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Which would you choose?

I would definatly buy a turbo kit, but don't care if it's 50 state legal, I just want HP!
73%
I would definatly buy a turbo kit that was 50 state legal
27%

Total votes : 48

Poll on turbo kit production

Postby Brian GT PRO » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm

We can get started somewhere May/June. Development time will have to do with us choosing a smog legal kit or not. The CARB approval process is a very lengthy one and take a LOT of investment in terms of lab time/work, Government paperwork and red tape, etc etc. We are ready to produce this as a kit that can be bolted on in your garage, however we will not sacrifice quality in lieu of making the kit $XXX dollars. The fact of the matter is that if we sign our name to it, it will need to be reliable, use quality name brand components, offer a warranty we can stand behind and make the installation easy to deal with, these are all goals of ours if we choose to go down this road. The post was put up to simply gauge weather this was going to have steam or not, and to allow the members to have input. Let us know if this is something we need to do, or if we should consider only doing *one off* turbo set ups. Thanks guys!
Brian GT PRO
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sarki » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Hay Brain, I can donate my car to your shop so you can build the Turbo, piping, ...etc if i can keep the prototype setup. :D :D ....cant hurt to ask..
6psi // 291tq // 268whp // Auto
Who wants to buy it?
sarki
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby trdkamuri51o » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Brian GT PRO wrote:We can get started somewhere May/June. Development time will have to do with us choosing a smog legal kit or not. The CARB approval process is a very lengthy one and take a LOT of investment in terms of lab time/work, Government paperwork and red tape, etc etc. We are ready to produce this as a kit that can be bolted on in your garage, however we will not sacrifice quality in lieu of making the kit $XXX dollars. The fact of the matter is that if we sign our name to it, it will need to be reliable, use quality name brand components, offer a warranty we can stand behind and make the installation easy to deal with, these are all goals of ours if we choose to go down this road. The post was put up to simply gauge weather this was going to have steam or not, and to allow the members to have input. Let us know if this is something we need to do, or if we should consider only doing *one off* turbo set ups. Thanks guys!

- if you could make it cross platform for all 1mz engines i think it would be worthwhile for your company..... esp if carb allowed it (far as i know each car needs to be tested for CARB stickers)
- realistically these people are here for cheap bang for buck... 5s-fe owners were all too happy to say yes to a supercharger for their cars, once it came out from RIPP mods, hardly anyone in the camry community bought it.. it was all the mr2 guys
- reliability is questionable depending on boost.. these motors dont handle anything above 5psi on a supercharger unless it has fuel mods
- cost effectiveness.. i dont think it is a realistic option for your company.. though im sure the guys over at nissanclub.com would love one for the altima 3.5!!!! lol esp carb legal.. they are more performance oriented..

honestly my man.. i hope u do come out with it, but i doubt you will garner more than a few hell yesses until these kids see the price tag.. i can only think of 3 people right now willing to drop that kinda money... everyone else talks loud but doesnt do crap.... my honest opinion of the camry/solara community
need wheels? www.memoryfab.com - ask for david

-1JZ Bozo Camry = Cooler than Penguin crap in January on the face of Pluto.
trdkamuri51o
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby GreeKAvaLoN » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:29 pm

hey, you should post this up on mr2 forums also. The swapped v6 guys would be all over this i bet. idk if a turbo could fit in there or not, worth a shot though.
are avalons supposed to be this fast?
GreeKAvaLoN
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Pogs » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:04 pm

trdkamuri51o wrote:
Brian GT PRO wrote:We can get started somewhere May/June. Development time will have to do with us choosing a smog legal kit or not. The CARB approval process is a very lengthy one and take a LOT of investment in terms of lab time/work, Government paperwork and red tape, etc etc. We are ready to produce this as a kit that can be bolted on in your garage, however we will not sacrifice quality in lieu of making the kit $XXX dollars. The fact of the matter is that if we sign our name to it, it will need to be reliable, use quality name brand components, offer a warranty we can stand behind and make the installation easy to deal with, these are all goals of ours if we choose to go down this road. The post was put up to simply gauge weather this was going to have steam or not, and to allow the members to have input. Let us know if this is something we need to do, or if we should consider only doing *one off* turbo set ups. Thanks guys!

- if you could make it cross platform for all 1mz engines i think it would be worthwhile for your company..... esp if carb allowed it (far as i know each car needs to be tested for CARB stickers)
- realistically these people are here for cheap bang for buck... 5s-fe owners were all too happy to say yes to a supercharger for their cars, once it came out from RIPP mods, hardly anyone in the camry community bought it.. it was all the mr2 guys
- reliability is questionable depending on boost.. these motors dont handle anything above 5psi on a supercharger unless it has fuel mods
- cost effectiveness.. i dont think it is a realistic option for your company.. though im sure the guys over at nissanclub.com would love one for the altima 3.5!!!! lol esp carb legal.. they are more performance oriented..

honestly my man.. i hope u do come out with it, but i doubt you will garner more than a few hell yesses until these kids see the price tag.. i can only think of 3 people right now willing to drop that kinda money... everyone else talks loud but doesnt do crap.... my honest opinion of the camry/solara community

Yes but all the ripps superchargers sold... even if they didnt sell right away the buyers did come. If he makes this kit it will sell. There may not be a lot of serious talkers right now but overtime they will be sought after.
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sarki » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Ok I've been reading on and some of the comments are pissing me off. Without getting into it, I'll tell you why I go the cheap route. I pay 3k a month in mortgage alone. Not counting the bills and other expenses that come up. So with that said, Your damn right im going to pass on a 4-5k turbo kit. I'm struggling to save up for a damn CP-E. I dont know why im venting.......but i am! As far as a carb legal kit, Yes i want one. But you guys need to stop calling us cheap asses and ask for a cheap ass kit. how about that?
6psi // 291tq // 268whp // Auto
Who wants to buy it?
sarki
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:38 pm

If I may,

My thoughts on the matter are this - people that spend a lot of money modifying cars usually choose cars that have aftermarket support. If one company were to make the jump and make a turbo kit for the 1mz I would assume that it would lead to other people being more interested in using this platform and modifying it and, therefore, more companies making aftermarket parts.

The way I see it, a Honda Civic isn't exactly a modifier's dream car - however because it has such a vast aftermarket selection a lot of people tend to choose it when buying a car. If the 1mz had aftermarket support I'm sure it would be the same.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby trdkamuri51o » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:02 am

Pogs wrote:Yes but all the ripps superchargers sold... even if they didnt sell right away the buyers did come. If he makes this kit it will sell. There may not be a lot of serious talkers right now but overtime they will be sought after.

they sold to the mr2 guys in about 3 years after production.. fewer than 5 kits went to the camry which it was made for in the first place...

thats why i suggest going the route of multipul platform coverage of the es300/camry/solara/sienna... the problem is: there is no more than 3 people right now willing to drop over 3k on a full setup including all fuel upgrades.. camry/solara people are cheap period... we bought our cars for reliable cheap transportation and to look slightly good.. i hope it comes out but if i were a company, i would rather stick to a platform that will have a large amount of buyers... hence the altima/maxima community

or move up to the 2gr platform cars... most new camry owners would hop all over this (cobb tuning for example)
need wheels? www.memoryfab.com - ask for david

-1JZ Bozo Camry = Cooler than Penguin crap in January on the face of Pluto.
trdkamuri51o

Postby i20solara02i » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 am

^ exactly
version 3.0 complete 302 hp 303 tq stay tuned for 3.01 (meth installed, now needs to get it tune)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOTi2NPNIA
i20solara02i
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Pogs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:11 pm

thats very true.. good point
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby facevedo17 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:39 pm

turbo aren't cheap for any car. Ive been checking for my 99gs300 and there are kits staring from 1,500 to even 4-5 k ...just the turbo alone, not including other mods like injectors, so regardless the car be prepared to put money into it and keep in mind a lot gs aftermarket parts are same as those of Supras...

so don't be surprise to see a carb legal kit around that Price 4-5 k for our solaras ,

In the end those who want the extra power will do it and those that don't will complain that is cost to much ......
[
facevedo17
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:23 pm

1. How important would smog legal be to you? 1-10 scale
- Not at all in NYC

2. What do you feel is most important in a turbo kit?
- Reliability is the most important but price follows. Ideally $4k would be nice but there's a price tag for quality work.

3. What sort of HP numbers would make you say "I'll buy that!!"
- 300HP will make me say "I'll buy that!!" but the truth of the matter is more mods than one would have to be made in order to get that kind of HP.

4. How many of you would sign up if we were to build this??
- I would definitely be on board with this.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CamryOnBronze » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:01 pm

sarki wrote:Ok I've been reading on and some of the comments are pissing me off. Without getting into it, I'll tell you why I go the cheap route. I pay 3k a month in mortgage alone. Not counting the bills and other expenses that come up. So with that said, Your damn right im going to pass on a 4-5k turbo kit. I'm struggling to save up for a damn CP-E. I dont know why im venting.......but i am! As far as a carb legal kit, Yes i want one. But you guys need to stop calling us cheap asses and ask for a cheap ass kit. how about that?

No offense, but if you cant afford to play, stay out of the game. If your mortgage is a ton, dont mod your car. Companies dont care if you have to pay your mortgage- you gotta pay to play man.

I don't mean that in an offensive way at all, but it's true.
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby lilm » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:43 pm

sarki wrote:Ok I've been reading on and some of the comments are pissing me off. Without getting into it, I'll tell you why I go the cheap route. I pay 3k a month in mortgage alone. Not counting the bills and other expenses that come up. So with that said, Your damn right im going to pass on a 4-5k turbo kit. I'm struggling to save up for a damn CP-E. I dont know why im venting.......but i am! As far as a carb legal kit, Yes i want one. But you guys need to stop calling us cheap asses and ask for a cheap ass kit. how about that?

LOL :roll:
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby facevedo17 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:01 pm

^^^^^^ Yup there is no crying on modding , you just do it ...
[
facevedo17
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction