[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installing s/c?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Installing s/c?

Postby JoeB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:47 pm

Masshole wrote:sorry to hijack the thread but i have a question. YOu can't just slap a supercharger on these engines and be done with it can you? I woudl think that would reak havoc on the internals and possibly cost you an engine if you push it. Can these engines handle a supercharger without beefing them up with stronger pistons and lower compressions heads and injectors etc. etc. ... ???

Actually you can just slap the sc on there without changing anything else as long as you leave everything else stock. As you start changinging things, you need to consider other parts of the overall system. For example, as you start changing airflow with intake/exhaust (which it is common knowledge ours is restrictive), you need to consider fuel system modifications as well. When you get into all that, it is good to consider using a good piggy-back computer to control A/F as well. Then this is all exaggerated when you decide to up the boost with a smaller pulley.

The need for building out the bottom end depends on just how much you throw at it. If you are careful, a good tuner and have at least 93 octane gas, my personal opinion is you can do as high as 7psi without rebuilding the bottom end. That assumes you've taken care of all the stuff I mentioned above. I say that from experience because I'm doing it. Anything higher than that and I think a modest decrease in compression, new pistons, rods and port/polish and port matching work is in order. Even with that, I think only somewhere around 9psi is really beneficial until we figure out how to cool the charge from the sc. Rebuilding the bottom end is a good safety net as you push foreward with new performance mods and take the risk of getting a little out of tune. As you get closer to the edge of destruction on the conquest for power, this safety net can be the difference between upgrading and a rebuild from catastrophic destruction. :o -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Masshole » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:48 am

that's exactly my point... by adding a supercharger your adding to the air side of the equation. I'm just surprised that the the solara engine and computer are equipped to deal with this without bigger injectors, modified a/f curve in the computer, or better heads to prevent blowing head gaskets and/or possibly cracking the block. So I guess your saying that you think the stock bottom end/injectors/computer can handle up to 7psi without any beefing up... interesting...
Masshole
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby offthahook » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:44 am

Masshole wrote:sorry to hijack the thread but i have a question. YOu can't just slap a supercharger on these engines and be done with it can you? I woudl think that would reak havoc on the internals and possibly cost you an engine if you push it. Can these engines handle a supercharger without beefing them up with stronger pistons and lower compressions heads and injectors etc. etc. ... ???

Yes you can. TRD engineered it. It's good.
offthahook
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby JoeB » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:36 pm

Masshole wrote:that's exactly my point... by adding a supercharger your adding to the air side of the equation. I'm just surprised that the the solara engine and computer are equipped to deal with this without bigger injectors, modified a/f curve in the computer, or better heads to prevent blowing head gaskets and/or possibly cracking the block. So I guess your saying that you think the stock bottom end/injectors/computer can handle up to 7psi without any beefing up... interesting...

Oops, maybe you misunderstood me somewhat. :oops: I didn't mean to include injectors as bottom end. When I said you could leave everything else stock, I meant only at 4psi. And that was only if you didn't change other components like intake/exhaust, injectors or pump. TRD designed it with the rest of the system stock except they used a TRD filter in the stock air box and the TRD exhaust. Although they aren't sold as part of the sc kit, just those changes aren't enough to require other changes or a computer at 4psi. If you wanted to run 7psi, I think you do need to make other changes, just not bottom end if you do it right. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Previous

Return to Forced Induction