[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - help please? (not the coupler) *edited*
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

help please? (not the coupler) *edited*

help please? (not the coupler) *edited*

Postby jerold » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:07 pm

there is definitely something wrong with my s/c. anybody know the symptons of a broken coupler? i've got about 50k on it. when i called magnusson a few months back, the guy said it was good for about 100k, so there was no reason to buy the replacement kit.

somebody please help.
Last edited by jerold on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 camry
jerold
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: help please, broken coupler?

Postby Vampire » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:37 am

The coupler is a plastic-like disc that connects the pulley shaft in the nose to the impeller gears. It is essentially a safety device that is supposed to break if the impellers seize allowing the pulley shaft to still spin and the engine to be able to run. IF it did break, you will get no boost at all and you would probably hear nasty noises as the pieces would probably be banging around against the impeller gears. What exactly makes you think the coupler may be broken? You didn't mention any symptoms.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gadget » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:22 pm

You can see pictures of what Vampire is speaking about here:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/SuperNose.htm

Gadget
Gadget
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jerold » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:42 pm

Vampire wrote:The coupler is a plastic-like disc that connects the pulley shaft in the nose to the impeller gears. It is essentially a safety device that is supposed to break if the impellers seize allowing the pulley shaft to still spin and the engine to be able to run. IF it did break, you will get no boost at all and you would probably hear nasty noises as the pieces would probably be banging around against the impeller gears. What exactly makes you think the coupler may be broken? You didn't mention any symptoms.

the grinding noise has gotten super loud, and there are other loud scary noises. i thought i lost boost, but once, it did go up to about 1psi (i wasn't trying to get boost). when in idle, it's at about 10 in hg, and the car rocks back and forth. i think it's from the tensioner. like something is resisting the belt, so it makes the tensioner go back and forth which rocks the car. there seems to be a lot of belt dust everywhere, but that could be because i installed the URD pulley. i hadn't checked under the hood since the installation.

if i give it a little gas to about 2k rpm, almost all of the symptoms dissapear. it took awhile, but the cel finally came on. i checked it and it gave me the following: P0402, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0402 (again). does that mean it's a lot more serious than just my s/c?

on the positive side, i have been biking to work, now that the car's broken. finally getting some exercise.

thanks
jerold
2000 camry
jerold
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:26 pm

Sounds like you have a big SC problem. Without being there it would be hard to say but you really need to pull the SC and disasemble it. It could be a number of thing like the coupler, impellers binding, bearings going etc. The fact that you vacuum looks like your motor is working against a load that is not normal, makes me think one of the previously mentioned things is not working right. Maybe it might be simple but I recommmend taking it off and finding out. At lease you could change the oil and plugs if it's time for that. Good Luck.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jerold » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:14 pm

i should have mentioned earlier too: that it probably didn't help that i just moved from savannah to LA towing a heavy-a** u-haul trailer behind me. the car performed awesome, though. i was quite pleased. (it's good that it broke down AFTER i got here and not along the way.)

http://www.geocities.com/noozie3/04crosscountrymorning.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/noozie3/04crosscountryhitch.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/noozie3/04crosscountrylow.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/noozie3/04crosscountryrear.jpg

still trying to settle in. but maybe i can pull the s/c off sometime this week. i sure hope it's something simple (well, relatively simple...too late for simple).

thanks,
jerold
2000 camry
jerold
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Vampire » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:33 pm

Good Luck Jerold. Let us know how it goes. I hope it's something silly or simple.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jerold » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Vampire wrote:At lease you could change the oil and plugs if it's time for that.

i have iridiums with about 20k miles. how long do they last? also, i'm not sure i got new wires with my new plugs. what's a good brand of wires, and where can i get it?

do i even need new wires? did i read somewhere that they last the life of the car?

thanks,
jerold
2000 camry
jerold
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Forced Induction