[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - all about turbos
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

all about turbos

all about turbos

Postby jazzlara » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:45 pm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo2.htm

now answer me this someone.

When the air compressor compresses the outside ambient air, it heats up obviously. but how does it heat up enough just from compressing it a few more psi, that an intercooler is needed? it doesnt make sence to me.
jazzlara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby swimshady906 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:04 pm

Typically you dont need an intercooler unless you are goin over 10 psi ... sttock turbo applications even have tiny tiny side mounts.

The air heats up because pressure is positivly related to the temp of the gas.
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jazzlara » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:15 pm

swimshady906 wrote:
The air heats up because pressure is positivly related to the temp of the gas.

right. i just didnt think that only 5-10 psi would heat ambient air up so fast that it needed an additional cooler...

I like the idea of dual turbos!
jazzlara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Turbosolara » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:55 pm

Remeber, air expands when it is hot, and it contracts when it is cold. cold is always good.

i could also explain it in term of physic. ideal gas law..

PV=NRT.
P is the pressure, v is the volume, N is mole of the gas molecule , T = temperature. so you rearrange the formula and you get

P/NR = VT. so if the molecule size stay the same....the R is a constant number. the pressure is increased in a large amount, and the volume is compressed into same volume (so let's say V is the same). the n (molecule mass) would increase due to comression. you would see pressure has direct relationship with temperature.

here are more reasons that the air heat up because the turbo has two turbines, which one for exhaust and one for intake. Since they are in the same unit, the exhaust side would pass the heat over to the intake side. In turbocharged motor, the engine exhaust temperature are far higher then N/A because of entropy happen. not only that, another reason is that it has more crazy combusion happen in your cylinder chamber, the temperature sure is higher then N/A. Another addtional reason is that turbine are spinning over 10000 rpm to compress the air, the turbo it self would get pretty hot as well.

intercooler is always good for turbocharged motor. i think it is wrong to think that you only need IC when you are boosting high. I think people make a statement like that because it is true that the higher you boost, the more power difference you would see. but that is always your engine and turbo are producing heats.

for example, my exhuast temperature usually is about 700-750 degree when I am not boosting but cruising on at 80mph. When i boost, the temperature can go as high as 800-1000.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby swimshady906 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:26 am

Thats good stuff from Utlraslow .... like engineering physics all over again :roll: But serious ... good information.
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DatSRBoi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:53 pm

Off topic..Got a Question. If I had an intercooler on my car but no boost of any kind (no S/C nor turbo). Like a long expensive cold air intake you goi from the throttle piped down into the intercooler piped back up into the engin bay away from the ground to advoid water. Will it work? Yeah I know its a waste of money but will it make a differnce?
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby TRD_solaRa » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:58 pm

DatSRBoi wrote:Off topic..Got a Question. If I had an intercooler on my car but no boost of any kind (no S/C nor turbo). Like a long expensive cold air intake you goi from the throttle piped down into the intercooler piped back up into the engin bay away from the ground to advoid water. Will it work? Yeah I know its a waste of money but will it make a differnce?

never know till you try
TRD_solaRa
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Turbosolara » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:39 pm

i have no clue about what are you talking about
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby DatSRBoi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Sorry got too hyper and typed it fast. Umm its like and injen intake with cold air extension. But instead of having the filter go on the end it is piped to the intercooler and from the intercooler piped up into the engin bay on the other side. That way its a cold air intake and advoids sucking in water....And it looks cool. My question is will it really work? Yes I know thats waste of money...Just wondering.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Turbosolara » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:42 pm

It is waste of money because it doesnt make that much difference since the air your car is sucking is already kinda cold. Also, a over extended intake might cause your intake could not get the enough air since the air breathing process has longer path which require more force and time to suck it into maniford. you might try to custom made some pipe with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

but i still doubt how would it help.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby jazzlara » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:14 am

Thanks ultraslow. you lost me with the math...lol...(im left handed, I dont know math) but great info.

I never thought of the transfer of heat from turbine to turbine.
jazzlara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Forced Induction