[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - turbo v. supercharge: 1mz
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

turbo v. supercharge: 1mz

turbo v. supercharge: 1mz

Postby Mandarinsolara » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:31 pm

ok keep EVERYTHING constant except for turbo or supercharger
TRD supercharger, large turbo (T70 or higher).
lets say both are at the same boost, 4psi i guess.

which would make more power
i can already guess the turbo will bc it has no parasitic loss. but i dont know for sure. and if it is a large turbo, then exhaust backpressure (between turbine and motor) shouldnt really be much of an issue. i dont think a custom turbo setup costs as much as people might think.

i know you'll say such a large turbo will have lag issues, but as long as you are revved a little at launch it shouldnt be a problem.

i will be turbo once im out of college, promise. whether its in a solara, IS300, supra,... or something of the sort. i will be turbo mark my words.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:58 pm

Good luck on making turbo happen. Not too many people motors ever succeeded much. Only 3 I know of on 1mZ's
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Turbosolara » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:36 am

The supercharger will boost better because the large turbo is far away from optimum boost and it can not produce optimum power

RELIABLE custom kit always cost alot of money. you think it doesnt becase you do not know too much about it, just like me 4 years ago.

If you want turbo just sell your car and buy my car....it will for sure smoke your SLE...smoked few of them already.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 pm

supercharger provides small overall gains throughout the powerband

turbocharger provides large gain ONLY at peak RPMs

SC it to be like everyone else

TC it to be unique... but you'll have a lot of problems... plus you can't run any decent boost #s due to the high compression (10.5)
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby JoeB » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:16 pm

Ok, feel free to shoot holes in this but here is my opinion. If you are only talking about 4psi, no question go with the supercharger. A large turbo does have less lag very true but along with that comes other inefficiencies that people are willing to give up for the big boost of a large turbo. You would not install a large turbo for 4psi.

As Jeff put it very well, the sc is good for small to moderate boost throughout the range. Along with the added benefit of this "instant boost", you also get the parasitic loss. With the turbo set to 4psi, you will see 4psi at higher RPM. If you don't think it'll be that expensive, think again. Most of the plumbing will be custom and if you do it right with all the right components, I'm very sure it will be significantly more than the TRD sc. UltraslowSolara knows all about this. Talk to "Tony The Tiger" who did a custom turbo on his 1MZ-FE Camry...

Now if you decide to go BIG boost, I say go turbo! Either way, once you get over 6psi, you'll need to build the bottom end of the motor to handle it. The TRD Supercharger is very small and can really only handle the 2.4 pulley efficiently. Once you get over (or smaller size) that, it starts pumping heat and is at the max rated speed for the sc. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:42 pm

Couldnt have said it better then you have brotha!
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Mandarinsolara » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:09 pm

hmmm... i understand what you are saying ... too much trouble for only 4 psi.
do you think a large turbo would try to boost up under highway cruising speed ... around 3k rpm? i wouldnt want to be behind someone and then get a sudden surge of power out of no where.
but ya i'd keep it low pressure until the funds came around for getting the block sleeved and full forged internals

what really kind of toots my horn is that since almost nobody ventures out this far, there is going to have to be loads of super expensive custom work done. like where am i going to get turbo cams? crap.

and of course all of this will require me to find a manual transmission and reinforce it while the motor is getting reinforced.

how many valves does the 1mz have? 12, 18, or 24? those should be replaced too with some titanium.

overall: this is a huge project that will be worth it (in about 10 years from now)
but in about 5 or 6 years from now, i'll be at 4psi on a large turbo. promise
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:25 pm

why not just a small turbo?

quicker spool and max of 8psi.

we dont have the high rev ability like other motors.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Mandarinsolara » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:25 pm

i like turbo lag for some reason
if i was into speed i would definately consider smaller.

answer me this, if the motor gets fully built with 8.5:1 compression, would it be safe to raise the rev limit to say around 7500 ? i want flames comin out (in a good way)

dang you get to thinking about all of the costs involved and you wonder would it be more effective and worthy to do a rwd 2jz-gte conversion with a 6 speed
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:38 pm

Honestly Id take that money and finsih college frist bro..Turbo on your car willhave everyone in this forum going butt wild. Not to mention the work to make sure its working at all time. Then think about how money source will one day dissapear like I had to fast doing my car. for 7 grand you can buy a integra and drop in a h22 turbo motor (its possible folks we builted one at my friends shop in austin, TX.) and its gurantee to last. We wouldnt want you to put super load of money on the solara trying to get it turbo and boom, you loose education. Just my 5 cent. its up to you. Im just being a brotha. Vroom Vroom.
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Turbosolara » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:06 am

large turbo + low boost = no power gain. you are FARRRR from optimum boost and you will feel minimum gain. For example, the T3 turbo for my 2.2L was even too big, which has optimum boost for 15psi and i am only shooting 9psi. but my turbo boosting a 3000 rpm and it response very very well in freeway driving.

and turbo + automatic is a very bad idea because the turbo has sudden power boost and that kill your transmission fast. (for cars that didnt come with turbo start with).

2jz conversion are also close to impossible unless you have 20G budget.

once again, if you want a turbo + a solara .... the best way would be just buy off my car... perhaps the most long life turbo camry....

OR JUST BUY ANOTHER CAR!!!!!
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Turbosolara » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:09 am

btw, lower compression doesn't change the the red line rpm. in order to raise the red line, you need done alot alot of work.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:00 am

with all the money you'd WASTE on the Solara, you may as well buy a faster base first... then turbo it... perhaps a SC 300 and tap on a turbo... you'll pull 300-350 WHP on stock internals (safely) and even use 400 whp (if you're crazy) on occassion...

lowering compression = reduces chance of blowing the engine (slightly...)

raising the redline... i have no clue how that's done ... lol First you'd have to make sure the engine can go that fast w/o blowing up.... then you'd have to find a transmission from a high revving front wheel drive car...

supra conversion = you need to take apart your solara, build a custom tube chassis to mount the rear axle on, find a way to have your drive shaft go through the floor pan, reroute the exhaust piping so it doesn't interfere with the driveshaft, move the firewall back to make sure the 2jz fits, strip the whole engine bay and fit it with custom mounts for the 2jz, and then all your accessories (a/c, p/s, etc) then you have to make sure the body is modded so that the damn thing can fit over the frame...

There's actually a lot more to the supra conversion... but it's definately going to cost you less to just buy a 400+ whp supra...
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby DatSRBoi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:38 pm

Just remember we're not dissing you Just warning you of the truoble :D
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Forced Induction