[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Removing the Cat
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Removing the Cat

Removing the Cat

Postby Sleeper » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:17 pm

Since my race is this weekend, Im very tempted on removing the catalytic converter and leave the piping open at point before the cat. The reason being is the from the cat to the end Im being robbed ALOT of horsepower from the S/C. What risks are involved in doing this beside the check engine light coming on? Is it reconnectable? Can I use the same sensors once I reconnect the cat? Am I damaging the engine? Please help!!

P.s. the upside is that the Solara will ROAR!!!!!
SLEEPER...
Sparco Torino Seats, TRD Blower, Autometer Boost, Air/Fuel, and Tach gauges, DVD Touchscreen receiver, Carbon Fiber Reverse Gauges/Hood, 8K HIDs, Complete TRD Suspension, SPEC Stage 3 clutch & flywheel
Sleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mandarinsolara » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:29 pm

roar she will! but i cant help you on this.

maybe you can get a video or sound clip or something? there is sure to be a guy or two there with digital camcorders. see if they cant send a video clip or something.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:26 am

You can either have a shop put in a test pipe for racing, which is a different insert w\ no cat, or you can gut the cat yourself which is free.. I just gutted mine
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Sleeper » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 am

What do you mean by gutting the cat? What is it and how do you do it? Does it give you power?
SLEEPER...
Sparco Torino Seats, TRD Blower, Autometer Boost, Air/Fuel, and Tach gauges, DVD Touchscreen receiver, Carbon Fiber Reverse Gauges/Hood, 8K HIDs, Complete TRD Suspension, SPEC Stage 3 clutch & flywheel
Sleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SC V6 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:22 am

Gutting the cat is basically taking a screw driver to the cat and breaking it apart into pieces.. it basically makes the cat an open tube.. its basically straight piping the car.. there is no real restriction there... have to be careful though when you do it because the Dust causes cancer.. wear a mask or something
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:50 am

You should look into a JPP y-pipe, if you haven't got one already. The stock y-pipe is super restictive.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby Sleeper » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:51 am

how much is the jpp y pipe? Can you feel the difference? Is it worth it?
SLEEPER...
Sleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby StockSolara » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:15 pm

Sleeper wrote:how much is the jpp y pipe? Can you feel the difference? Is it worth it?

It's the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. . . yes you will feel something but nothing dramatic unless your blown :D . . . but yeah JPP doesn't sell just the y-pipe anymore
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Sleeper » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:59 pm

so what then about removing the piping from the cat to the end? Any suggestions? How many sensors are there? I understand there are about 2 or 3 there. Please help, the races are tomorrow and I wanna kick some a$$ and get another trophy for the Solara!!!
SLEEPER...
Sleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby StockSolara » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:15 pm

Go to a shop and get a custom y-pipe made that deletes a CAT. . . easy as that
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Forced Induction