[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Boost Bypass adjustment
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Boost Bypass adjustment

Boost Bypass adjustment

Postby CASTRO » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:17 am

Does anyone know if the bypass lever/nut can be adjusted or have a possibility of freeplay? I ask because I remember Astro's problem with the bypass only closing 85% and not giving full boost.

My situation is that just recently my TRD boost gauge does not go into max vacuum and instead floats between 20-10 reading and i seem to get boost more often etc. Lever on the s/c doesnt seem to be stuck so just wondering what it could be. Lines aren't pinched and perfectly fine and I still max boost @ stock 4psi.

Gonna check for possible adjustment sometime when im free but just wanting to ask around incase anyone has any experience.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

Not sure exactly what it looks like but I remember it having a rod that moves. For ultimate adaptability if you cannot otherwise I would cut it thread it and put on a long adjuster nut.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CASTRO » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 pm

yeah it has a rod on it and the other end has a nut which may/may not be adjustable.

Ill try it later to see if It can be adjusted a bit more till reading is @ full vacuum again.

I'm scared to mess with it lol
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Dawgz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Can u take pics of the actuator area with the car on and idling, and also with the car off.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby CASTRO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am

Forgot to update since i've been busy lately. Turns out it was a busted rubber hose ROFL. Guess the Camry really is a DD to me now, just gas and go. I covered most of the rubber hoses with some wire/concealer stuff for support and never bothered to check on it every now and then.

I actually was worried I mighta killed something since recently on a trip to Reno NV, I was racing my brothers 4dr Si for fun going uphill LOL. It was a madd dash from 50-110 just to show him even my beater could take his new car. (S2000 is just too fast) Well, after those extended numerous runs in full boost, It read all funny and I was sure I blew a ring or messed up the s/c or something cause the readingd were all wrong.

All is fine now that I've replaced the hose. (DAMN those stock black toyota rubber hoses). I recommend getting fatter aftermarket silicone ones which does better with age/heat.

Now it leads me to question.... wonder what itll be like if i unhook the bypass hose and have it act like its in boosting all the time.... stay tuned mwahhaa
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Dawgz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:00 pm

CASTRO wrote:Forgot to update since i've been busy lately. Turns out it was a busted rubber hose ROFL. Guess the Camry really is a DD to me now, just gas and go. I covered most of the rubber hoses with some wire/concealer stuff for support and never bothered to check on it every now and then.

I actually was worried I mighta killed something since recently on a trip to Reno NV, I was racing my brothers 4dr Si for fun going uphill LOL. It was a madd dash from 50-110 just to show him even my beater could take his new car. (S2000 is just too fast) Well, after those extended numerous runs in full boost, It read all funny and I was sure I blew a ring or messed up the s/c or something cause the readingd were all wrong.

All is fine now that I've replaced the hose. (DAMN those stock black toyota rubber hoses). I recommend getting fatter aftermarket silicone ones which does better with age/heat.

Now it leads me to question.... wonder what itll be like if i unhook the bypass hose and have it act like its in boosting all the time.... stay tuned mwahhaa

with it boosting all the time, maybe low rpm pinging....
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Postby CASTRO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 pm

yeah true, might experiment and use smaller hoses to have less suction and keep bypass open longer/more. I dunno, just bored with the car and wanna try something new :D

...which leads me to this... put a valve in between to stop vacuum for some sort of "scramble boost" mode lol
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Eye8Pussies » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 pm

you want your beater camry to feel like a new car again?

do a 5-speed swap and then up the boost and it'll eat your s2000 up and make you want to boost that too ;)
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CASTRO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Update: I'm super impatient with plans so it helped out that my work has a home depot right across the street :D After work, I went over and purchased a plumbing valve looking thing. It allowed me to lower the vacuum of the actuator valve therefore boost more often. Tried it a mile or two 1/2 way and felt great. Got greedy and completely closed it off for the rest of the way home. COT DAMN! It feels soooo good lol. I'm listening to see if there is any knocking/pinging in the lower RPMs but it should be okay to boost often since I have the now discontinued URD MAP box. so for anything .5psi more then it sends a signal to the ECU to go open loop to richen the mixture.

All I know now is that RPMs stay low, boost gauge is hyper active all over the place and speedo rises faster than ever with the increased TQ.

Ill report back as I drive around with the actuator always in the closed position :D

I already want to boost the S2000... too expensive for the way I wanna go though... turbo :P My buddy was the test mule for the new Comptech/Novi 1200 s/c and currently makes 390whp. I love it but told myself that its the min I should shoot for. ;)
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CASTRO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:47 pm

oh yeah, to answer the question about it boosting all the time, well it doesnt. Since the s/c's boost is always directly related to engine RPM, it just boosts to ~ .5-1psi in the low RPM and climbs up as the RPM rises so it should be safe :)

The gauge still shows the engine making good vacuum @ idle and most of the time with a VERY light foot ;)
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CASTRO » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

went through a full tank of gas with this mod. Loving it and even the GF can tell the difference. Changes are:

-Better gas millage when kept under 1psi of boost.
-Lower RPM due to getting up to speed faster with more help from the s/c
-80% more s/c whine even from idle!
-Cooler engine coolant temps when driving normal
-Faster coolant temp increase when driving 3/4th but no overheating. (Measured digitally using scangauge2)
-Slightly more fuel consumption when in boost or driving hard, you can smell the Catalytic converter more often since mines still OEM and has tons of miles on it.
-Peak boost/power doesnt chage, but 50% under throttle, theres TONS of TQ!
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CASTRO » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:31 pm

So far a week in with the bypass fully closed at all times and loving it. Car never sees more than 50% throttle for DDing and usually only needs 1/4 throttle since the motors so responsive.

The S/C is not officially a positive displacement only mod. Whoo hoo! Note that I am using the stock 3.2inch pully and not the old 3.4. Strange, now at WOT throttle, it regularly points to 4.5psi instead of before's stock setuponly able to stay touch 4psi before redline.

Even with the A/C on the car feels great. It's now harder to drive on the freeway as @ 1/8 throttle, the motor wants to pull. RPMs stay planted and instead the boost gauge acts like its had too much caffine. :D
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CASTRO » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:59 am

It's almost the end of the year and all is still good. I think im gonna leave it like this from now on since i tried routing the lines back to stock and didnt like the decrease in responsiveness and lack of low end power :P
conclusion: successful @ stock 4psi pully!
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 808Camry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I've been running the bypass hose switch for a few years now and love it. Glad to hear it's been serving you well. I need to swap out all my hoses since I'm using the rubber ones and I'm sure I've got cracks and leaks everywhere now.

Where did you get your hoses from?
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Castro, that is excellent news! Congrats on your little experiment.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Forced Induction