[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 5s-fe turbo based of 3s-gTe
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

5s-fe turbo based of 3s-gTe

5s-fe turbo based of 3s-gTe

Postby Pogs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 am

Ive been doing a lot of research these past few months on turboing my I4. I do not want to swap to a V6, but I would like to swap in parts from a 3s-gTe. I am just wondering how much a set up would run me. I can get the turbo, all my new oil lines and the oil pan, the manifold (everything so far straight off the 3s-gTe except for the oil lines), and pretty much all my tubing for the FMIC and around the turbo for about a grand. I would still need to get a FMIC, some form of piggybacking tool or meathod, and various other items such as gauges, a oil relocation kit, and custom downpipe.
I think doing this would be unique and a cheaper form of horsepower. I have read links about this type of set up on 6gc, tn, and other places but how would fitment be in the engine bay in comparison and is this a good idea if I am reluctant to swap in a v6. In no way am I trying to make a beast, from what I have read i will not be running a high amount of boost (not over 8psi), and on a CT26 turbo. I do not think from this set up I will need to upgrade anything on the engine(except injectors and fuel pump, various other things), because numerous times the 5s-fe has showed its sturdyness. What is the consensus here. Am I falling into a money pit or could I do what I want for around 2 grand. I know most def with the simple set up I am planning on running this in no way should be over 3000 (not including replacing clutch down the road or other maintanence).
Please any info or suggestions you have would be appreciated. Speak your mind, I know not everyone will think this is a good idea.

[/quote]
Last edited by Pogs on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:23 am

I would start with a compression check and maybe a leakdown test to see if the engine is in good shape. But go for it the engine bay has huge amounts of room for a turbo.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:29 am

any turbo project is going to be a money pit. An intercooler can be picked up pretty cheap. I see decent sized stock pieces on ebay all the time (i'd look into a stock srt4 or evo fmic) For the piggyback (and fuel) see what others have had success with on the same engine and go from there
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Pogs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 am

Midias wrote:I would start with a compression check and maybe a leakdown test to see if the engine is in good shape. But go for it the engine bay has huge amounts of room for a turbo.

Do you think there would be enough room for me not to have to relocate the oil filter.
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Pogs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:47 am

Ok from what I have found out there wouldnt be a need to relocate the oil filter, so thats good news. Here is a little table of things i need their price and were i found them for that price.

Item Price Link
3sgte turbo manifold = 80 = http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33786&highlight=turbo+manifold
CT-26 Turbo = 600 = http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30704
Warlboro Fuel Pump = 70 = Ebay general price
4 440cc Injectors =250 = http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33062&highlight=460cc+injectors
Intercooler =139 = http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=IC0037
Oil Lines =20 = http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24935&highlight=map+sensor
3sgte oil pan = 15 = http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33469&highlight=oil+pan
Intercooler piping = 50-150 = Jc witney
Downpipe = 100 = custom
Boost gage = 130 = Damons gages and pillar pod ***
Oil pressure gage = *** = Included in boost gage price
AFR gage = *** = Included in boost gage price
2 barMap sensor = 95 = -general prices found
BOV = TBD 50-250
Water lines = 20 = http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24935&highlight=map+sensor
NGK spark plugs IX cooler plugs = 27 = http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4161825
Spark plug wires = 40 = http://www.fixthisride.com/showproductdetail.jsp?prod_id=112729
TOTAL PRICE Price so far $1686 - $1986

This is my list so far. The only thing I need to add to it off the top of my head is some for of tuning device (apexi or something like it).

My questions so far.
What do you think of this so far, do you know of better prices or see something you absolutely dont recomend?
Im not to sure about my the intercooler I have picked out, what recomendations do you all have or what should I be looking for?
For the BOV, does price equal quality or does price equal brand name and nice sound? Im not worried about the sound of it at the moment and I dont want to throw to much into this now.
For the manifold, should I have it ceramic coated for heat issues?

Thanks all,
Pogs / Doug
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Turbo

Postby PeteGLH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:31 am

Have you ever considered walking down to your local JDM Engine shop and buying a complete 3S-GTE engine / IC and Wiring harness? I am pretty sure that everything would be quite cheaper than adding everything to your 5S.... and maybe even more reliable?
PeteGLH
99 Black 5-Speed Solara SE V6
15.3 @ 93.4 - Bone Stock
PeteGLH
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Pogs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:45 am

It would be worth it to go 3sgte if I had higher power goals. I am not going for insane goals with this project. The 5sfte will end up being cheaper... I have most of the stuff I need for this. I only need to get an intercooler, ic piping, return fuel line items, and an ems. Without the ems and knowing which fmic kit I am going to get (ic, ic piping, bov), my total cost is under $1100.... With ems (aem fic) my cost will be pushing over 1400.

If we are talking power, I could swap a 1mz and add a few basic bolt ons for less then my total cost, but that is not what I want to do. I want this project to be unique, and to be one of the few people to have a 5sfte solara. I am hoping I will be able to say I didnt buy anything, drop it off at a shop, and let them figure it out. I would like to say I did it myself, encountered 100 different problems and over came them all. For one reason or another, this is what I am determined to do, and I am going to do it right.

On another note, I may not be 100% but if I swapped a 3sgte I beleive I would have some smog issues as well.
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JMSinMaryland » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:24 am

I second the 3S-GTE. Why go through all the headaches to be beat by a stock 1MZ-FE?
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Pogs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Why does a guy f**k a girl without a condom if he knows he might get a std.... He just really wants that pu-tang, in that way.

I just really want a 5sfte solara. There are a thousand different things I could spend my money on, but this is what I want. Call me smart, call me idiotic, for one reason or another I will call myself determined. The question will always remain, why do people spend money to make a slow car a little bit less slower. Who knows... Why do we have a ton of interest with the 1mz owners and superchargers, when any solara owner could save money and just buy a faster car in general?
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 pm

pogs if you got the dough, and thats what you want, then do it, again who cares what others think, all that matters is what you want, period, and i agree, i could have bought just about any car i wanted, but i bought a car that has hardly any aftermarket suppot, but thats what makes it fun, the challenge of taking a slug, and, making it a fast turtle, lol............... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby Midias » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:04 pm

Go for it man 5s should be fun. My only suggestion is a lot of 5s's burn a little oil. I would consider rebuilding the head if you are already burning a little.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Pogs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:43 pm

No this process will take a while. I only have a little more than 60k miles on it, so it shouldnt be a problem. No smoke, good compression, everything seems good so far.
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:59 pm

IMO the turbo project is more worthwhile than a 1mz swap.

don't listen to the haters, at least you're doing something different.

i'm just not a big fan of swapping a stock v6 engine into the same model of car, as you could have bought one built like that from the factory (or sold the 4cyl version and bought a used 6cyl version).....my big problem with it is this: why would you go to the trouble of a full engine swap if you're just going to end up with a stock spec car...?

with a 4cyl FI project, at least you get the benefits of a lower curb weight, and a lighter front end, which should equal better handling and cornering. not to mention the open possibility of upwards progress, if you want to upgrade the system or increase the boost.
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 1gSE » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:07 am

hey Pogs, I can't remember what parts you already have, but there's a set of n/t RX7 injectors on ebay for a $100 and they looks pretty good, if you still need some
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:03 pm

hey Pogs, ecale3(ed/black S2K) was workin on a 5sfte a while back and could be a good source of info...as well as megamac83/Umar(think hes still workin on his).

Chinky420 wrote:IMO the turbo project is more worthwhile than a 1mz swap.

don't listen to the haters, at least you're doing something different.

i'm just not a big fan of swapping a stock v6 engine into the same model of car, as you could have bought one built like that from the factory (or sold the 4cyl version and bought a used 6cyl version).....my big problem with it is this: why would you go to the trouble of a full engine swap if you're just going to end up with a stock spec car...?

with a 4cyl FI project, at least you get the benefits of a lower curb weight, and a lighter front end, which should equal better handling and cornering. not to mention the open possibility of upwards progress, if you want to upgrade the system or increase the boost.

well the point is your swapping an engine with no potential(or vary little) with an engine with potential for fairly cheap(cheaper then upgrading to another car if done right). since the 1mz fits, is factory in that car and it has parts avalible for it, then its a naturally good option. given if you are lookin for crazy power then another car is probably a better option. but even the 1mz can have some good numbers and still maintain its DDness. any motor he would swap would be stock spec most likely anyways, but have far more potential then the 5s does.

now i still think just sellin the car and gettin a V6 car is the best option, but thats not always an option for some. so as long as your take your time, do your reaserch and DONT cut corners...then a turbo project would be great.

now what im courious about(since i dont know much about it) is a 2AZ-FE swap. that motor has tons of parts avalible for it and would seem to ne a natural as well.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Forced Induction