[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Need help on knock sensor re-wire
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Need help on knock sensor re-wire

Need help on knock sensor re-wire

Postby RON » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 pm

I have a 330 code..bank 2. So I assume I would do the OPPOSITE of this tutorial:

"If the code that ur sensor was throwing was comming from the bank #1, which is the rear sensor, then what u have to do is cut pin #27's wire, give enough slack to each side of the wire because u will need to expose the wire underneath the plastic of the wire. then take off some plastic cover from pin 28 but do not cut that wire, just expose the wire and connect pin 27 to it, firmly, the part that is comming from the ECU, not the wire that leads to the engine bay."

So, I would splice wire 28 INTO the intact 27..right?

Just want to confirm this.

Thanks

RON
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

wiring

Postby Gregtrd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Put a t-tap connector on each knock sensor wires,then use a jumper wire to link the two wires together, this is a temporary fix. I did this at the knock sensor harness under the throttle body.
The wires u need a jumper wire on are the clear color wires.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Dawgz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 am

I wrote a DIY in the DIY section for this a while back.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Fixed by GREG

Postby RON » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:27 pm

Sweet fix..took all of 5 min! Greg's fix with relocating one GM sensor (disconnecting the stock harness with a new one) is the only one out there that requires NO hastle and SC removal. True..I don't have an *operative sensor*, but neither are any other applications of GM sensors...according to a post here (on signal comparisons with stock). I *only* run 5.5 lbs, so the *knock sensor issue* is just a pain in the ass for me. I highly recommend Greg's fix, especially for those in the lower boost ranges (5.5lb or less).

Thanks Greg :D

Ron
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:19 pm

werent you going to sell your camry ron..................... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby 99V6solaraSE » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:31 pm

i thought if you used a gm sensor, it was best just to leave them in the stock location?

and whered u get another knock sensor harness? how much was it?
Blown @ 5.5PSI w/ xerd, 3inch jpp, tunable cpe Automatic... SOLD
2010 Mazdaspeed 3 ZOOM-ZOOM B)
99V6solaraSE
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:13 pm

99V6solaraSE wrote:i thought if you used a gm sensor, it was best just to leave them in the stock location?

and whered u get another knock sensor harness? how much was it?

I just found out that GREG used the OEM sensor, not GM. The advantage of relocation is that it takes 5 min without having to pull the SC and you can use only one. Sure..it may be better in the stock location for a GM sensor if you want to go through the hastle...but as understand it, the GM sensors really don't function properly anyway. GREG charges $100 for 1 sensor, the adapter (to relocate) and the modified harness.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:15 pm

jetbtkng wrote:werent you going to sell your camry ron..................... :drinking:

YEP..changed my mind. Not gonna sell this baby for under 8K...just not worth it for me.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bbq bob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm

greg relocated my knock senser with his mod. i blew it again. i put a gm senser on. it turned out to be the harness. greg replaced the harness and i haven't had a senser issue sense then. 5.5 lb pully and 94 octane. :sweet:
330 whp , 331 ft. lbs. torque Camry , Track driven , Race proven , lots of mods.Image
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:16 pm

bbq bob wrote:greg relocated my knock senser with his mod. i blew it again. i put a gm senser on. it turned out to be the harness. greg replaced the harness and i haven't had a senser issue sense then. 5.5 lb pully and 94 octane. :sweet:

Did you have a GM sensor on when it blew? Was there ONE or TWO? GMs are more sensitive..but aren't supposed to blow as easily. I have ONE stock sensor. What type did you replace your sensor(s) with? As far as the harness....I assume you had one for TWO sensors. I have a moded harness for ONE. Wonder if that makes a difference?
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bbq bob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 pm

i had a stock senser when it blew. i think the stock senser is still good. when i went off the track it was a wild ride. i think thats when it shorted the harness. i put the gm in thinking i had blew the senser. i hooked it up and the senser code showed up again. i took it to greg and it turned out to be the harness. i had washed the engine at the pressure wash after the spin out maybe thats where the harness shorted out. i have the gm senser, but i'm also using 94 octain now. seams to be good so far.1 senser only.
330 whp , 331 ft. lbs. torque Camry , Track driven , Race proven , lots of mods.Image
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:57 pm

bbq bob wrote:i had a stock senser when it blew. i think the stock senser is still good. when i went off the track it was a wild ride. i think thats when it shorted the harness. i put the gm in thinking i had blew the senser. i hooked it up and the senser code showed up again. i took it to greg and it turned out to be the harness. i had washed the engine at the pressure wash after the spin out maybe thats where the harness shorted out. i have the gm senser, but i'm also using 94 octain now. seams to be good so far.1 senser only.

Washing that under pressure could definitely cause a problem...so could excessive movement like going off the track. Speaking of *track*..I used to race my Porsche at Willow Springs big track....many times in fact. I actually turned a 1:35 at the *OLD* track..before they widened the exit to turn 1 :o . I would pull 130 down the front straight :D . My club also ran Laguna...Riverside..Sears Point...Firebird...Vegas. They didn't have Button Willow back then. Never tracked my Camry SC..never will. Beats the SH$$T out of the car :cry:
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bbq bob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 pm

i bought mine from frank just for the track. i drive it on the streets once and a while to keep the fliuds and battery working good and pick up a street race or two. my harleys get the most driving time.i then throw in the chevy truck every now and again. :drinking:
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 pm

bbq bob wrote:i bought mine from frank just for the track. i drive it on the streets once and a while to keep the fliuds and battery working good and pick up a street race or two. my harleys get the most driving time.i then throw in the chevy truck every now and again. :drinking:

Sounds good!
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm

ya my times at the big track 1:43, 87 mph avg, 125 down the str8, .................... :drinking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9gaCEo6NZI
Last edited by jetbtkng on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jetbtkng

Next

Return to Forced Induction