[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - High flow cat, resonator, or straight through pipe
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

High flow cat, resonator, or straight through pipe

High flow cat, resonator, or straight through pipe

Postby Pogs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

I found a buddy to make my custom downpipe from the turbo to the catback. I know when dealing with a turbo you want as little restriction as possible. Should I get a high flow cat (bad restriction), replace it with a resonator (less restriction), or have a straight through pipe (no restriction).

I know this will make my exhaust louder, and honestly I dont want that at all, but I want to make the turbo happy. Any comments are welcome.

fyi - The cat back already has one resonator, and I really dont want to remove it...

Thanks,
Doug
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CamryOnBronze » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm

I don't know about a 5sfTe, but my 5sfe camry has ripp headers, high flow cat, 2.25 inch piping, no resonators, and a magnaflow muffler and it sounds like crap. :lo: I would probably toss some resonators on there to get rid of as much of the rasp as possible.
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Midias » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:34 pm

A straight through perforated resonator should be very little restriction and help a lot with the rasp.

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:34 pm

the turbo itself will do a good job of muffling the exhaust. Just stick a high flow cat in with the cat back and call it a day. Unless you're going for big hp numbers, no need to bother with making yourself a target for the police
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Midias wrote:A straight through perforated resonator should be very little restriction and help a lot with the rasp.

Do all resonators come perforated like that. I'm hoping to FINALLY do my exhaust this weekend and will be adding a resonator on each of the dual pipes. I hate noise so if this is a specific resonator plesse let me know what its called and where I could get it. Thank you.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:02 pm

^ no some are louvered. I think thrush sells a mild steel at advance auto parts that is perforated. That is a stainless silverline and I got it on ebay for about 60 bucks. Here are mine with my custom exhaust materials

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby akora12 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:06 pm

SpeedySolara wrote:Do all resonators come perforated like that.

No, but all high-flow resonators should have a straight through design. Stock resonators come filled with various elements to help baffle the noise.

IMO, resonators aren't used enough in custom exhaust setups. Very few actually restrict a sufficient amount of hp, and they are vital in creating a good exhaust tone. As damon experienced, my honda sounded like absolute crap without a minimum of 2 good resonators.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Here are the 2 side by side

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:14 pm

Midias wrote:^ no some are louvered. I think thrush sells a mild steel at advance auto parts that is perforated. That is a stainless silverline and I got it on ebay for about 60 bucks. Here are mine with my custom exhaust materials

Ok im going to see if i can get those at advance auto parts. Made by thrush, right?
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm

This was the one I got from there, Buy some paint stripper and some acetone to wipe it down and repaint it with high temp stuff because the factory paint will not hold up.

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GreenSolara01 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Was that full of glass pack before you cut it?
I was thinking about useing one if I ever do cust exhaust.
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:04 am

^ it was a full glass pack but I cut it to make custom baffles for a motorcycle.

If you have time i would suggest investing in a stainless or alumnized glass pack for longevity.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GreenSolara01 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:14 pm

good call.
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction