[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Question on Big Brake kit for those SC'ed
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Question on Big Brake kit for those SC'ed

Question on Big Brake kit for those SC'ed

Postby RON » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Ok...I'm about to *do it*....NARLY SUPRA TT's up front (and larger early ES 300 Rotors rear for balance). What effects on *off the line* acceleration have you experienced with these HUGE SUCKERS :o ??
They weigh about 6lbs more up front (as I recall) than the stockers.

Thanks...

RON
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

huh

Postby NRDriver » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 pm

:drinking:
00 Solara,SEV6,ASA JH8, hks ignition, JET chip, greddy evo,TSW short shifter,carbon dash,TRD kit, Weapon r SR w/ CA ext, DATSrpipe, TRD springs/struts
NRDriver
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Is that...WTF?

If ya don't what I'm talkin' bout..don't bother. :fadein:
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 pm

I doubt 12 pounds would make any difference on a 3200+ pounds car. maybe like 0.00003 seconds lol
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ASG14 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:07 am

^ Thats not the same thing. Ron is talking about "Rotational Mass", not the weight of the car itself.

And I;m sure it makes a difference, but all my friends that have had the brakes, have told me the benefits far outweight the negatives due to the weight.
ASG14
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:40 am

ASG14 wrote:^ Thats not the same thing. Ron is talking about "Rotational Mass", not the weight of the car itself.

And I;m sure it makes a difference, but all my friends that have had the brakes, have told me the benefits far outweight the negatives due to the weight.

Yep..

Anyway, just wanted a *gut* check for those who actually have the mod on their cars (SCed). Well, it won't matter now..I'm going ahead in a week or so. I'll post my impressions here.

Thanks Adam
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Eye8Pussies » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 am

+5lbs per rotor from when I weighed it

as for difference....I felt absolutely not difference in handling or acceleration...just on braking :D

But of course, on the 5-speed, it shouldn't make much of a difference off the line. In the auto, it'd be a different story. I would say that if my car was still automatic, I would have to think twice about it first, as even after I installed the blower, the car was still not the fastest off the line, and every little bit hurts for rotational mass.

right now, with the 5-speed and plenty of boost, if anything the added rotational mass is a good thing almost :p
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby akora12 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:32 am

Your question is valid. I was concerned about the added unsprung weight before purchasing the kit, but I've noticed absolutely no difference in acceleration since installing it.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby KILLA CAM » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:37 am

I have the Rotora BBK, but I also have light weight rims so I think they balance each other out. :P

Losing a little on the acceleration side is small fries compared to the benefit of upgrading braking power, especially if you're S/Ced.
KILLA CAM
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bigbirdSCed » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:54 am

i never noticed any changes in how my car handles off the line with the ericsol bbk. i did however like being able to stop better. as a rule of thumb...brakes are one of those things where its ok to add weight because its ultimatly the goal to help ya stop better. stopping is more important then acceleration.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:14 am

made no differance on bbq bobs car, hes got an auto, and his camry is fast and he didnt notice any loss of whoop asss............ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby RON » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I can't believe how FUGIN HUGE those TT's are :o . Well, there's no doubt I'm gonna loose a couple tenths off 0-60, but that's no problem. They say for each Lb in rotational mass, it's 4X in equivalent sprung weight...some say it's more. So we've got equivalent added weight of 50-100Lbs...not bad.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bbq bob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 pm

i'm an 272.2 whp auto with a gabe's BIG BRAKE KIT ( duel piston ) and the weight issue is null & void, on the street their great, and on the track really good, i got my best times with the bbk and other mods i have done. i posted a best lap at 1:38.6, 6 seconds faster than the lst time i was there, with an AUTO. :drinking:
330 whp , 331 ft. lbs. torque Camry , Track driven , Race proven , lots of mods.Image
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 pm

bbq bob wrote:i'm an 272.2 whp auto with a gabe's BIG BRAKE KIT ( duel piston ) and the weight issue is null & void, on the street their great, and on the track really good, i got my best times with the bbk and other mods i have done. i posted a best lap at 1:38.6, 6 seconds faster than the lst time i was there, with an AUTO. :drinking:

138 is a great time..congrats! :multi: On the OLD track configuration (which was about 5 sec slower due to narrower track in some turns) I hit 135 with my Porsche 944TURBO and that was SET UP (racing compound tires...etc)! Also, I was a veteran racer and new the track like the back of my hand :wink: .

Again..NICE RUN!
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CamryOnBronze » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:29 am

KILLA CAM wrote:I have the Rotora BBK, but I also have light weight rims so I think they balance each other out. :P

Losing a little on the acceleration side is small fries compared to the benefit of upgrading braking power, especially if you're S/Ced.

Rotoras should actually weigh about the same as the stock setup... and for sure less than the Supra setup. I had them on my solara as well and the 2 piece rotors weighed pretty much the same as the tiny stock rotors.

It does add weight of course, but I don't think the difference would ever be enough to feel with a butt dyno. :lol:
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to Forced Induction