[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Dyno time..RESULTS!
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Dyno time..RESULTS!

Postby RON » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:35 pm

jetbtkng wrote:well ron it looks like your about 27 hp shy of my car, and about 14 hp less than bbq bob's which is an auto, i think you need to change your cardomain hp #'s from 307 to 258hp, although respectable #'s, why didnt they run it all out, you cant compare your #'s to either bobs or mine until you run it all out......................... :drinking:

My peak torque was damn close to yours..and ahead of bobs..need I say more? *RUN IT OUT*?? BY DEFINITION....carrying that Torque out a couple hundred more RPM would = more HP. Given that I have a STOCK Fuel system, less boost...PUMP GAS..No headers...I'm a happy camper. You (and Bob) are entiled to claim bigger HP #s ...fine with me :wink:
The *307* # was extrapolated to the FLYWHEEL at the time I posted it. At that time I had results of 261 WHP (not *hub*) @6500RPM. That's 15% loss from FW to Wheels or 307HP to flywheel. I have no intention of changing that #..these results don't conflict (neither do they corroborate, since I was cut short). I'm a very happy camper. 260 Ft lbs says it all.

Ron
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47 pm

we dont claim we do have more hp, but ron your forgetting one thing, bobs an auto, 5.5 psi 272 hp, and 258 torque, if he had a man tran, he would be close to my #'s, but 258 hp is good, now you have to go to the track with bob and me and have some fun................... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby RON » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:49 pm

This says it all ......

Enjoy :D

" the following formula applies for calculating horsepower from a torque measurement:

HP= Torque X RPM/5252

This is not a debatable item. It's the way it's done. Period.
The Case For Torque
Now, what does all this mean in carland?
First of all, from a driver's perspective, torque, to use the vernacular, RULES :-). Any given car, in any given gear, will accelerate at a rate that *exactly* matches its torque curve (allowing for increased air and rolling resistance as speeds climb). Another way of saying this is that a car will accelerate hardest at its torque peak in any given gear, and will not accelerate as hard below that peak, or above it. Torque is the only thing that a driver feels, and horsepower is just sort of an esoteric measurement in that context. 300 foot pounds of torque will accelerate you just as hard at 2000 rpm as it would if you were making that torque at 4000 rpm in the same gear, yet, per the formula, the horsepower would be *double* at 4000 rpm. Therefore, horsepower isn't particularly meaningful from a driver's perspective, and the two numbers only get friendly at 5252 rpm, where horsepower and torque always come out the same.

In contrast to a torque curve (and the matching pushback into your seat), horsepower rises rapidly with rpm, especially when torque values are also climbing. Horsepower will continue to climb, however, until well past the torque peak, and will continue to rise as engine speed climbs, until the torque curve really begins to plummet, faster than engine rpm is rising. However, as I said, horsepower has nothing to do with what a driver *feels*.

You don't believe all this?

Fine. Take your non turbo car (turbo lag muddles the results) to its torque peak in first gear, and punch it. Notice the belt in the back? Now take it to the power peak, and punch it. Notice that the belt in the back is a bit weaker? Fine. Can we go on, now? :-) "
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 pm

jetbtkng wrote:we dont claim we do have more hp, but ron your forgetting one thing, bobs an auto, 5.5 psi 272 hp, and 258 torque, if he had a man tran, he would be close to my #'s, but 258 hp is good, now you have to go to the track with bob and me and have some fun................... :drinking:

I'd love to join you guys..believe me, but I won't track this car. My track days are over. I don't know about bob, but I beat the SH##T out of my Porsche tracking it....plus you have track fees..pads..tires= $$$$$$. In my *old age* I prefer to enjoy a little street encounter every now and then and get a kick bragging about the car :lol:

Glad guys like you and bob are on the board...makes it FUN for sure. I probably wouldn't have done this if it wasn't for you guys.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:05 am

one problem ron, when im racing i dont shift at 5252, i shift at 6200 rpm's, all that text you wrote is fine and dandy, but doesnt apply to real seat of the pants racing, and you should know this, as you said you used to race, so when you going to the track with bob and me.................. :drinking:
jetbtkng

Postby jetbtkng » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 am

how old are you ron, you make it sound like your 90..................... :drinking:
jetbtkng

Postby RON » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:19 am

jetbtkng wrote:how old are you ron, you make it sound like your 90..................... :drinking:

Let's just say I was a *hippy* back in the 60's :wink:
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:23 am

so was i, im a retired hippy now.................. :drinking:
jetbtkng

Postby RON » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:29 am

jetbtkng wrote:one problem ron, when im racing i dont shift at 5252, i shift at 6200 rpm's, all that text you wrote is fine and dandy, but doesnt apply to real seat of the pants racing, and you should know this, as you said you used to race, so when you going to the track with bob and me.................. :drinking:

There are times when you have to short shift...but basically you're correct.
HP IS TORQUE....just shows the CAPACITY of how far you can carry it. In other words..TOP SPEED. It's a bit frustrating that on my dyno, they didn't take it *all the way*....for *HP* sake. However, the dyno still really compared our cars. We have enough data to do that...it's just incomplete at the very top end.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99V6solaraSE » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 am

either way nice numbers RON! 8)
Blown @ 5.5PSI w/ xerd, 3inch jpp, tunable cpe Automatic... SOLD
2010 Mazdaspeed 3 ZOOM-ZOOM B)
99V6solaraSE
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:03 am

99V6solaraSE wrote:either way nice numbers RON! 8)

Thanks. I'm a happy camper. I wanted to show that you can have a strong car without going *bonkers* on other mods. I'm not knocking those who have done so, just trying to put things into perspective. I have NO fuel mods (except Jim's fuel line mod)..no headers. Basically 5.5lbs boost with Y pipe and Catback. :D
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:27 am

For a *comparison* (Engine wise) look at the new Maxima:
Same torque I got (260ft lb) only 200 RPM later. They took it out to 6400 RPM. But these #s are FLYWHEEL, which are typically 10 (torque and HP) HIGHER than to the Hubs. Wonder what my car (along with Frank's and Bob's) would rate at the FLYWHEEL given 6400RPM :wink: . You can *do the math*!

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/203/2009-nissan-maxima-35-sv-test-drive

Performance Data

Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.5 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 290 hp
Max Horsepower: 6400 rpm
Torque: 261 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4400 rpm
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:10 am

good numbers
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 am

Nice numbers man. 8)
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby bbq bob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:46 pm

good numbers ron. i'll be going back when i get the 5 speed installed. i'll see what happens. maybe i can top frank's numbers. HA HA :D
330 whp , 331 ft. lbs. torque Camry , Track driven , Race proven , lots of mods.Image
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction