[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Wideband bung placement?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Wideband bung placement?

Wideband bung placement?

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 am

Hey all,

i'm working on getting my lm-2 installed on my car. does anybody know where to weld the bung on the 1mz? pictures would be great if you have them too.

also does anybody know how to wire this thing up? its been a while since i installed my safc so i don't really remember the position/colors of the wires.

Thanks,
Michael
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:55 am

after both banks merge, in the Y- pipe, before the flex pipe. Mount it between the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. I tried googling an instruction manual and this is what i came up with. I'm guessing it should be the same since it was off the lm2 page

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... Manual.pdf
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Pogs » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 am

im not sure but I think he has a 2az
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 am

1gSE wrote:after both banks merge, in the Y- pipe, before the flex pipe. Mount it between the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. I tried googling an instruction manual and this is what i came up with. I'm guessing it should be the same since it was off the lm2 page

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... Manual.pdf

x2...don't have anything in there now, currently use it as a good source for my A/F ratio reading when I tune.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:29 pm

thanks guys, before the flex pipe is exactly what i was looking for. does it matter how far from the flex pipe i am?

Thanks,
Michael
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Shouldn't matter.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Wideband bung placement?

Postby RON » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:15 pm

20SoLaRa02 wrote:Hey all,

i'm working on getting my lm-2 installed on my car. does anybody know where to weld the bung on the 1mz? pictures would be great if you have them too.

also does anybody know how to wire this thing up? its been a while since i installed my safc so i don't really remember the position/colors of the wires.

Thanks,
Michael

Bung: Install the oxygen sensor’s bung upstream from the catalytic converter
(a bung and plug is included in the LM-1 kit). Any decent muffler or
exhaust shop can do this for you. The wide-band oxygen sensor is then
installed into the bung to take a reading. (Insert the plug into the bung
when not in use). The bung must be installed in the exhaust pipe at
the side or on top, NOT on the bottom of the exhaust pipe. Best
position is between 10:00 and 2:00 position.

Funny, I just posted a reply on this very issue. I had my Dyno at Church Automotive and they take the A/F from the TAIL pipe. They state that the #s read about .7 to 1.0 HIGHER A/F than before the cat. I had a bung installed on my first Dyno right where they say in the quote above....said I was RICH and leaned it out at the top end. Church said I was now VERY LEAN 14+ and richened big time. Church was right...the Torque went up 11 Ft Lbs and 6 HP with A/F down to as low as 12.5 before ending at 13.0.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:28 pm

sorry i got a little confused there on what you said there. basically are u confirming the location stated in the quote by innovate or is the results from churches with the a/f sensor in the tail pipe better?

Thanks[/quote]
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:50 pm

20SoLaRa02 wrote:sorry i got a little confused there on what you said there. basically are u confirming the location stated in the quote by innovate or is the results from churches with the a/f sensor in the tail pipe better?

Thanks
[/quote]

Sorry for any confusion...the quote is the standard procedure for using a Bung Port. Church Automotive used a tail pipe sensor only. My point was that the second method shows *higher* (leaner) readings than the standard procedure. For me at least, Church's method seemed to work out well. I never could understand how the first results (using bung port wide band) could have shown a *rich* condition (A/F in the loww 11's)...telling them to LEAN OUT my car :-?. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine with the standard method.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Eye8Pussies » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:07 pm

if you have a collector on your down-pipe (i.e. y-pipe), you are supposed to put it at least 6-8 inched after the collector so that you get a proper reading from both runner pipes combined

as for the position of the bung on the pipe angle-wise, that is only to prevent moisture from collecting on the sensor

and in regards to the tailpipe readings being leaner (higher) than from a proper bung reading, that is because the cat leans out the readings by collecting fuel for emissions purposes
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:32 pm

thanks guys i appreciate the clear up. with that being said would the best location for the bung be before the flex pipe? that would cause the bung to be right where the exhaust flow from the front and rear headers combine, which is not 6-8" from the disturbance.

also i am running the jpp headers/y-pipe. should i put the bung after the flex pipe?

Thanks again,
Michael
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:49 pm

I've got mine after the flex, before the cat. You just want it to be before the cat.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 99V6solaraSE » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 pm

how would this work in my case since i have the xerd headers?
Blown @ 5.5PSI w/ xerd, 3inch jpp, tunable cpe Automatic... SOLD
2010 Mazdaspeed 3 ZOOM-ZOOM B)
99V6solaraSE
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:56 am

thanks for all the help guys. i think i'm going to go about 6-8" after the flex pipe since that would be the last flow disturbance. that way i can hopefully get a even consistant reading.

99V6solaraSE - u got pictures of the xerd headers. i believe u would want to put it in a similar place as me. if i remember correctly u may not have a flex pipe, so jus go 6-8" down from where the front and rear banks join but before the cat if u have one. that's just my opinion

Thanks,
Michael
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Eye8Pussies » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:37 am

^ that should do- as said, just before the cat is the most important part

as for the xerd headers...if I remember, the runners basically merge right before the cat right?

if that is the case, for a true reading, you may be better off having a different wideband reading each runner independently
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Forced Induction