[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oh the S**T I have to make for my friends.....
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Oh the S**T I have to make for my friends.....

Postby jetbtkng » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 pm

its got to do with the whine of the sc, and more boost, 5.5 plus psi you need to run 94 or better octane, or you'll knock, and the sc whines way louder, the more boost the more whine from the sc, and the toyota knock sensors are to delicate, ive poped them, bbq bob has, as well as many others........................ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby Gibson99 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:15 pm

im' currently running on one knocker in the stock location. when it fails, and it will, i have a "new" used set complete with short harness sitting in my toolbox ready to be installed in the sides of the cylinder heads. i'm not gonna bother taking the old ones out from under the intake manifold... i'll just unplug the harness and leave it hanging. too much damn work!
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Here's my set up...courtesy of GREG! One KS. Just dynoed the car..no problems :D

Edited with larger :o pic:

Last edited by RON on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby alltrac92 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 pm

RON wrote:Here's my set up...courtesy of GREG! One KS. Just dynoed the car..no problems :D

Where is it at do you have a bigger picture? I can't see it.
alltrac92
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby alltrac92 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:52 am

RON that is a clean install I like it.
alltrac92
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:47 pm

ASG14 wrote:^ I relocated it after blowing the 5th one in a year......I swear to God it;s a '96 issue.....

Damn you did A LOT of blowing that year! LOL. Is that my bracket?
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ASG14 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm

^ Yes, and Noel.
ASG14
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 99V6solaraSE » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:08 pm

RON, Do u have'm both just on one sensor, as opposed some of the others who have two

and what do you guys think of the ATS vs relocation?
Blown @ 5.5PSI w/ xerd, 3inch jpp, tunable cpe Automatic... SOLD
2010 Mazdaspeed 3 ZOOM-ZOOM B)
99V6solaraSE
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby akora12 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:29 pm

I've been happy with where mine's located at, but it took a bit more effort. I owe King for this idea.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby JamesT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:34 pm

I see greg made his own shielding...

I had to do the same when I did my wire tuck. What did you use for the shielding?
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby RON » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:38 pm

99V6solaraSE wrote:RON, Do u have'm both just on one sensor, as opposed some of the others who have two

Only one sensor...look at the other example of a relocated sensor (near pulley plate)..one there too. You only need one, spliced into two wires so it feeds BOTH ECU inputs. Personally, I think relocation is the ONLY way to fly. This way, replacement is a breeze if you need to do so. With boost 5.5 or less, I really don't give a rats A$$ about monitoring knock. Just want that little SOB to shut the F$$K up :wink: . Now it's been silenced for good, due to it's location.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:40 pm

JamesT wrote:I see greg made his own shielding...

I had to do the same when I did my wire tuck. What did you use for the shielding?

I added that on the wire...heat shield tape for added protection.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:49 pm

RON wrote:
JamesT wrote:I see greg made his own shielding...

I added that on the wire...heat shield tape for added protection.

Ohh... It looked a lot like the copper EMF shielding I used on mine.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby Eye8Pussies » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:04 pm

RON wrote:
99V6solaraSE wrote:RON, Do u have'm both just on one sensor, as opposed some of the others who have two

Only one sensor...look at the other example of a relocated sensor (near pulley plate)..one there too. You only need one, spliced into two wires so it feeds BOTH ECU inputs. Personally, I think relocation is the ONLY way to fly. This way, replacement is a breeze if you need to do so. With boost 5.5 or less, I really don't give a rats A$$ about monitoring knock. Just want that little SOB to shut the F$$K up :wink: . Now it's been silenced for good, due to it's location.

That's what I used to think to...just have it shut up so I can have my power back.

and akora12 and I have the best relocation location in my opinion- mainly because I have proven that it STILL reads knock and will blow if needed to save the motor- I proved that at a very bad time (going up-hill on a highway on ramp) after some bad street tuning due to my safc settings being wrong

that, and I tried the relocation plate at the front and the 94 ecu wouldn't have it, so I had no choice anyway

as for the wiring...the trick is to run the knock wire that is shielded and to tap the unshielded wire into the shielded wire
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby akora12 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:36 pm

King's dead on. My knock levels are very similar to what they were prior to relocating the sensor. Plus, that location is between both banks, which is a nice compromise IMO. I too avoided having to deal with a shielded wire by just tapping the small lead of wire on the stock harness before the shielded part. However, I had to buy a new harness since my stock one was was beat.

As for the ATS kit, I had it and ditched it for the relocation. I honestly feel the stock sensor where I have it mounted reads just as well as the GM sensors mounted in the stock locations. Plus, never having to tear the top end of my engine off again is a big bonus.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction