[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tapping off of SAFC Wiring?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Tapping off of SAFC Wiring?

Tapping off of SAFC Wiring?

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Hey guys,

i'm working on installing the innovate lm-2 on my car. As of right now all i plan to hook up are the rpm and tps wires. These are the same wires that i have already tapped into with the SAFC II.

My question is can i now jus splice into the SAFC wires since they are easier to get to? I would do this just for the positive side of the rpm and tps signals. I plan to run the ground on the actual wire from the car apart from the two places where the SAFC splices into.

Thanks,
Michael
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Tapping off of SAFC Wiring?

Postby Dawgz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 pm

20SoLaRa02 wrote:Hey guys,

i'm working on installing the innovate lm-2 on my car. As of right now all i plan to hook up are the rpm and tps wires. These are the same wires that i have already tapped into with the SAFC II.

My question is can i now jus splice into the SAFC wires since they are easier to get to? I would do this just for the positive side of the rpm and tps signals. I plan to run the ground on the actual wire from the car apart from the two places where the SAFC splices into.

Thanks,
Michael

Good call on the ground wires, and yes u should be able to tap onto the safc's portion of the wire with no issues.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 pm

my only problem is that the safc wires are so small... i wouldn't put vampire or T-taps on them, since they probably wouldn't cut the insulation, or if they did, they'd cut some of the wire, too. i say tap into the factory wiring since it's larger and more beefy.

i know i have multiple t-taps on my ecu wire harness - mostly the safc, but also for things like the knock sensor y-connector (to run off one knocker), previous RSM, my o2 sim, etc etc. it looks like hell, but it works.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Gibson99 wrote:my only problem is that the safc wires are so small... i wouldn't put vampire or T-taps on them, since they probably wouldn't cut the insulation, or if they did, they'd cut some of the wire, too. i say tap into the factory wiring since it's larger and more beefy.

i know i have multiple t-taps on my ecu wire harness - mostly the safc, but also for things like the knock sensor y-connector (to run off one knocker), previous RSM, my o2 sim, etc etc. it looks like hell, but it works.

I dont like tapping the wire at all, I rather cut off some insulation and then solder the new wire on.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Postby JamesT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Dawgz wrote:
Gibson99 wrote:my only problem is that the safc wires are so small... i wouldn't put vampire or T-taps on them, since they probably wouldn't cut the insulation, or if they did, they'd cut some of the wire, too. i say tap into the factory wiring since it's larger and more beefy.

I dont like tapping the wire at all, I rather cut off some insulation and then solder the new wire on.

I'm with Dawgz on this one. Especially with the SAFC wires. I've had them break on me before because they are so thin.

You're always better off soldering than using t-taps, in my opinion.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby 20SoLaRa02 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 pm

i could be wrong but i remember the wires on the safc being bigger than the ecu wires.

either way i was thinking about using the same crimp type connectors that came with the safc. i can't really remember how i did it but from what i remember i jus peeled away some of the insulation to where i could see some wire and then i wrapped the new wire around that part and then crimped it. should this be ok?, i rather not solder inside my car

Thanks
20SoLaRa02
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 pm

20SoLaRa02 wrote:i rather not solder inside my car

Why's that?

Also, the ECM wires are (I think) 20 gauge, the SAFC wires are about 24. The wires on the side of the connector that meets with the actual unit are about 28 and can break really easily (as I found out).
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Return to Forced Induction