[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - what is purpose of flex section on EGR pipe?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

what is purpose of flex section on EGR pipe?

what is purpose of flex section on EGR pipe?

Postby Gibson99 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 am

considering that the stock pipe doesn't have it on the upper part, but DOES have it on the stock lower piece (from header to egr cooler), is the convoluted/flex section actually intended to flex as part of installation or normal use, or is it to try to slow down or cool down the exhaust gases?

I'm wondering if i can get away with not using a flex section in my custom made egr pipe.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 am

Its probably meant to flex for normal use. There's a lot of movement in the engine when shifting gears or accelerating.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 am

of course the engine shifts and moves during normal driving, but i would not expect the intake manifold to move in respect to the egr cooler during normal driving. neither does toyota apparently, since the stock egr tube from cooler to egr valve is a solid piece. that's why i'm thinking the convoluted section has some other purpose.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 am

oh, well then perhaps you don't need it weld in a flex section.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CamryOnBronze » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 am

I can't imagine that it would make a huge amount of difference, but I'm not an engineer either. :lol:
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:11 pm

You'll probably be fine without it. Good luck.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby akora12 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm

I always figured TRD did it just to ease installation and fitment. I say go w/o it if you can get the angles perfect.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:08 am

it looks like i may be able to just cut the stock one in the straight section where the flex is, and weld in another 1.5-2 inches of straight pipe, and that'll be it. if that's the case, then it'll be MUCH easier to make replacements for us, but would require you to send me your stock pipe to be modified.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kenny6683 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:40 am

well if you remove the flex your exhaust will cause your car to vibrate more...I had removed it from my honda few years back and basically you would feel the steering wheel vibrating a bit. i'm not sure if I am right or wrong but this will also wear down your motor mounts in the long run.

WIKI ANSWERS
"The flex pipe is a pipe that conects the exhaust manifold to you exhaust so that when the moter shifts it dosn't shake the whole exhaust system. Yes it can be the reason that you car is so loud""
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:01 am

^We're talking about the EGR pipe, not the main exhaust. The stock EGR pipe came w/o a flex.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kenny6683 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:45 am

oh really, my bad! well if the stock one came without the flex then i guess its definately not needed lol
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gibson99 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 am

that's just it. trd apparently felt the need to add it since the trd egr tube (both a/t and m/t) has a flex section while the stock one does not.

i'm gonna just cut my stock one and weld in another piece of straight pipe, no flex, so that i will have an egr system again.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction