[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Belt rattles under load (AC turned on)
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Belt rattles under load (AC turned on)

Belt rattles under load (AC turned on)

Postby krook » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:09 pm

I recently changed out my S/C belt, but that sucker still rattles under load (i.e. when the AC is on). I had a hell of a time with the length, so I hope the one I put in was correct: 89 1/2 inches. I think the one I had on there was 90 in...

anyway, because it's still rattling, even with the smaller size belt, does that mean something else is wrong? should i change out the dynamic tensioner?
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Gibson99 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 pm

the tensioner SHOULD bounce a little under load at idle. it tends to smooth out once you come off idle. if it bounces so bad that you hear the belt chirping, then either your belt is too long or the tensioner is worn out and needs to be replaced. pray that the alternator pivot bolt isn't siezed up.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krook » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Gibson99 wrote:the tensioner SHOULD bounce a little under load at idle. it tends to smooth out once you come off idle. if it bounces so bad that you hear the belt chirping, then either your belt is too long or the tensioner is worn out and needs to be replaced. pray that the alternator pivot bolt isn't siezed up.

the belt's not really chirping--it just rattles like a muthaf*cker!?? it's insane, i've never really watched it before. but once the AC kicks on: rrRRrRrRRrAaattTTTTTlLllllLLeeeeEEEe

i should post a video.

also, my idle is really LOW. i'm assuming that's why my belt rattles when the AC is turned on since the compressor is spinning faster than the SC and its pulleys...? (is that a safe assumption?)
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Gibson99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:33 am

if it idles below about 600 rpm then yes it'll rattle. mine does too if i bog it when trying to take off slowly/quietly (stickshift).

clean your throttlebody and IAC area thoroughly to try and cure that low idle. normal idle is 700 rpm.

i really think the low idle is your core problem here, so fix that first.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krook » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:49 am

Gibson99 wrote:if it idles below about 600 rpm then yes it'll rattle. mine does too if i bog it when trying to take off slowly/quietly (stickshift).

clean your throttlebody and IAC area thoroughly to try and cure that low idle. normal idle is 700 rpm.

i really think the low idle is your core problem here, so fix that first.

ok thanks. i'm gonna try that tomorrow and see what's up. this all happened after i changed my SC oil, so i'm gonna triple-check all the connections once again...
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: Belt rattles under load (AC turned on)

Postby RON » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm

krook wrote:I recently changed out my S/C belt, but that sucker still rattles under load (i.e. when the AC is on). I had a hell of a time with the length, so I hope the one I put in was correct: 89 1/2 inches. I think the one I had on there was 90 in...

anyway, because it's still rattling, even with the smaller size belt, does that mean something else is wrong? should i change out the dynamic tensioner?

I have heard 88.5"..not sure, since I have 5.5lbs and no pulley. The original STOCK SC belt for the 3.2" Pulley was 2222MM or 87.5" (no tensioner). That's my belt size. I think your belt is too big.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Here's a belt tenioner I just got. Gates Krikit 91107.

the SC belt should be tensioned to 70-90 lbs (120lbs brand new).

Link:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=64&partnum=91107&a=FR64-91107

RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction