[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - started the turbo project.. here we go! questions..
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

started the turbo project.. here we go! questions..

Postby DaveSolara » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:15 pm

thanks, im sure i am going to need all the luck i can get if i am planning to have it done soon. i spend time on it everyday though and order parts almost daily
2000 1/2 Solara V6 1mz 5sp
t3/t4 turbo
DaveSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Pogs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 am

DaveSolara wrote:which is easier to use, the SAFC or the AEM?

From what I have learned the SAFC is easier to use, however the AEM is more useful. This is said because whenever you boost an application like our solaras, the timing will rise and you need a way to retard this. The aem will allow you to control fuel and timing where the safc only allows you to control fuel. The safer route is the aem fic mainly because of the timing control, but with the aem you need to hook it up to a laptop to control it or change settings you have programed. The safc has the control module along with the knob to change it directly on the module. If I got any of these points wrong please let me know.
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DaveSolara » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:58 am

not too much a difference in price i have noticed.
i have seen SAFCs used for less than 200
AEMs used for less than 300
t3/t4 turbo
DaveSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby CamryOnBronze » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:54 am

I had an ACT street clutch with a Fidanza flywheel in my solara and I loved that setup. It was good to 390 ft lbs, which should be plenty for any solara.
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby crispone » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 am

One MONTH!

Really aggressive! GO FOR IT!

...keep us posted... this should be interesting! :wink:

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby 1gSE » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Pogs wrote:
DaveSolara wrote:which is easier to use, the SAFC or the AEM?

From what I have learned the SAFC is easier to use, however the AEM is more useful. This is said because whenever you boost an application like our solaras, the timing will rise and you need a way to retard this. The aem will allow you to control fuel and timing where the safc only allows you to control fuel. The safer route is the aem fic mainly because of the timing control, but with the aem you need to hook it up to a laptop to control it or change settings you have programed. The safc has the control module along with the knob to change it directly on the module. If I got any of these points wrong please let me know.

:agree: I bought my FIC used on ebay for 295 with the harness, cd, bypass harness and cable included. FIC > SAFC. Its EXTREMELY easy to use and it has the ability to make a base map based on injector size. There's plenty of tutorials on the AEM forums. The only thing is you can't intercept the crank sensor wires, but you CAN tap one for an rpm signal
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DaveSolara » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:40 pm

but you have to use a laptop to use it tho right? where the SAFC doesnt require laptop time?
t3/t4 turbo
DaveSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 pm

yup
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DaveSolara » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:02 pm

ok, the supercharged guys arent using either of them right? the stock computer is handling the boost fine?
t3/t4 turbo
DaveSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:11 pm

i think they all use the safc. I don't know of anyone using anything else besides myself (FIC) and hksboost using the e-manage
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CamryOnBronze » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 am

DaveSolara wrote:ok, the supercharged guys arent using either of them right? the stock computer is handling the boost fine?

The stock computer will handle stock boost (4 psi) with no fuel mods completely fine. You really only need adjustment when you start throwing more boost at it- which will require more fuel to keep things safe (relatively.)
94 Camry: Beater
99 Solara: S/C & Totaled (RIP)
93 240SX: SR20DET
CamryOnBronze
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Midias wrote:Stock 5 speed ~ 150- 160 whp

Stock auto ~ 130 - 140 whp

^^Those numbers seems more accurate^^

I would seriously recommend you replacing your stock internals with forged pistons & billet rods, just my recommendation from knowing two other gen 1 solaras with 300+whp, that's had to upgrade their internals.

Good luck.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby jetbtkng » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:01 pm

you can run 350hp on the stock rods, but you need forged pistons, and i would suggest running 9.5-1 compression, then you can boost it up, anything past said hp needs to run high performance internals......................... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby DaveSolara » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 pm

going to start off with the correct tuning with a wideband and go from there adjusting boost up from 5 psi. I would really like to run 8 lbs with no internal upgrade for the time being. With the correct tuning and use of a wideband 02, i might just be able to do it right.

anyone ever use the SC400 Throttle body? its a 70mm and seems to be an ideal setup. any ideas?
t3/t4 turbo
DaveSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Midias » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:10 pm

DaveSolara wrote:anyone ever use the SC400 Throttle body? its a 70mm and seems to be an ideal setup. any ideas?

If it is a direct bolt on go for it but I think a bored out proflow designs TB for the 1mz would be easier and is approx 70mm.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction