[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Boost question
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Boost question

Boost question

Postby RON » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Does anyone here get Max boost in 2nd? I can't. I get 4.5 lbs max...5+ in 3-5th. I have 5.5lb pulley, but Max I get is around 5.2Lbs on the VDO gauge I just installed.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:20 am

Think this may answer my question...it's about a turbo car, but I think it applies to SC cars as well? They say Turbos are "Load" dependent and SC cars are RPM dependent...but I'm pretty sure our SC is load related as well. If it was RPM, then reving the car in neutral would produce boost that's RPM dependent.... which it doesn't (very little).

http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=18637.0;wap2

It's more about engine loading than time in gear.

Turbo's build higher boost the more loaded the engine is.

In lower gears your torque is multiplied by the transmission, so there is less load per revolution on the engine. In higher gears each engine revolution has to do more work. This causes the turbo to output more and more air while the engine is spinning more slowly, resulting in a higher boost pressure.

RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:23 am

don't quote me on this, but i remember this came up a while ago and someone said something along the lines of it gradually making more boost in later gears because of traction issues
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chaneytsai » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:29 am

I think boost is liner by RPM if actuator is not connected to vacuum source. With actuator working, it opens bypass valve to release boost when not in full load. That's why you don't see any boost in P or N. Keep in mind, EBC cuts boost in first gear too.

You can try to disconnect actuator vacuum hose and see what happen. By doing this you are boost all the time so be careful for lean condition. Castro has tried this but he has URD MAP box.

Here is his post
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=45275
chaneytsai
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby RON » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:44 am

chaneytsai wrote:I think boost is liner by RPM if actuator is not connected to vacuum source. With actuator working, it opens bypass valve to release boost when not in full load. That's why you don't see any boost in P or N. Keep in mind, EBC cuts boost in first gear too.

You can try to disconnect actuator vacuum hose and see what happen. By doing this you are boost all the time so be careful for lean condition. Castro has tried this but he has URD MAP box.

Here is his post

Yes..that's the key. It becomes load dependent because of the BYPASS VALVE. For example, If you're COASTING down a hill with light throttle in 3rd at 4000 RPM,
there's no load and the bypass valve isn't shut...so no boost. I think in second, there just isn't enough load to fully shut the valve as it would in say 5th at 3000 RPM. I can easily get Max boost in 4th or 5th by flooring it
at 3000 RPM!
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:31 pm

have you bypassed the boost bottle ron, so you get instant boost, just wondering................ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby RON » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm

jetbtkng wrote:have you bypassed the boost bottle ron, so you get instant boost, just wondering................ :drinking:

??..Not sure what you mean...the By Pass Valve? I get instant boost in all gears, it's just that I don't MAX in second (or third most of the time). I wouldn't modify the By Pass Valve, since I don't want boost in off load/low load conditions.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Ok :oops: ....turns out I can JUUUUUST BARELY hit Max boost (5Lbs +) in second right at red line when the rev limiter kicks in. Doesn't always happen though. It's VERY easy to get Max in 4/5th and MUCH lower in the RPM range too. So, load does make a big difference.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CASTRO » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:50 am

chaneytsai wrote:I think boost is liner by RPM if actuator is not connected to vacuum source. With actuator working, it opens bypass valve to release boost when not in full load. That's why you don't see any boost in P or N. Keep in mind, EBC cuts boost in first gear too.

Here is his post

Still running it DD with no line attached to the actuator and all is well. I think what helps is the URD box to sense boost and go into open loop faster. Def more power everwhere in the RPM range.

Somethings I've noticed:
-There is still vacuum but likes to stay close to 0 as soon as you give it a little bit of throttle.
-Drivability seems better and gas consumption hasnt really changed. At times it seems to be higher than before.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Forced Induction