[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - trying to work out exhaust...need input on ideas.
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

trying to work out exhaust...need input on ideas.

trying to work out exhaust...need input on ideas.

Postby bigbirdSCed » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:00 pm

sup guys, kinda feel like a douch asking somthing when im never on the site but experts are experts...so here goes.

so ive been trying to figure out my exhaust for a while now. first a little situational background. where im currently living i cant afford to have a loud car period. the exhaust is currently stock with exception of the "old" style OBX headers and y-pipe and a generic OEM style muffler. its not loud but yall may have herd it in the one video i have.

with the SC i need better flow but cant do a loud exhaust so heres my idea. im considering putting in a cutout. he did a pretty good job. i think i remember seeing a solara owner do it but couldnt track any thing down, prollu just searching for the wrong thing.

my idea sounds good to me because it will be like the setups that the V6 swapped MR2 guys have to do. ive seen how even on a stock V6 the lack of a long exhaust frees up alot of power for them(like 20whp on a 5 speed). so not only will i be gaining quite a bit more power by just by-passing the exhaust components and sheer legnth of the camry's exhaust...but ill likely save money doing so. have cake and eat it too!

this is where i need the help. if i do this i realize its gonna be REALLY loud which im not a huge fan of. so my options that im tossing around in my head are to A. install a cutout just before the cat and run loud but unrestricted...or B. install a highflow cat(HAVE to replace the bad OEM on on there now) and install a cut out just past that which would quiet it down a little...i think. what do yall think???

ive considered adding a small legnth if i dump before the cat and adding a resonator or some kind of small muffler but im not sure it would even fit.

any other suggestions for how to do this would be great too.

BTW im not planning on side exhaust or anything like that. just a GOOD electric cutout, small legnth of pipe and dumped under the car.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm

The OBX exhaust is fairly quiet I had one. Or you could make a setup like mine.

Here is mine just cruising

Highway acceleration

Full Throttle

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:58 pm

Also you could put some 3 inch pipe with a quiet muffler and run a dual but one side would just be the cutout.

I like this one as well

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/tech ... to_03.html

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Mr_Krispy1183 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Try and find a GReddy EVO muffler, and just get some piping/resonator done. Super quiet on my Solara; the intake makes more noise than the exhaust does.
'01 zenki MCV20 Silverstream Opalescent
Mr_Krispy1183
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby LEE337 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:59 am

Mr_Krispy1183 wrote:Try and find a GReddy EVO muffler, and just get some piping/resonator done. Super quiet on my Solara; the intake makes more noise than the exhaust does.

X2 Just installed my GReddy Evo II and its nice and quiet...but when WOT it nice and deep and just a bit raspy. :D Very satisfied with the GReddy.
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:44 pm

hmm...some good ideas. to clarify incase its not convaied well in the OP...when i say quiet, im thinkin stock exhaust with a TRD muffler or quieter(only below 3000rpms though). i have yet to see a fully built boost friendly exhaust (headers, y-pipe, HFC, 2.5"catback w/res and muffler) as quiet as i need.

this is how quiet it is now...and i need to keep it this quiet if i can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfiFPrSkNMk

would my solution not be a good one for any reason other then extreme noise when open? im no expert by any means but it has seemed to me that the name of the game is low restriction. if im incorrect on this then school me...im still learning :D .

King showed me a promising idea which was a company in aussieland that has electric volume control mufflers. thats somthing id consider since it is close to stock.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Maybe you would enjoy the Megan OE catback. It is just a little louder than stock or so they claim and 2.5". It has a OE style muffler and 2 resonators I think it could be a win. My 2.5 TRD catback is just a little louder than the stock piping with TRD on full accell but about the same cruising.

Here is a video of a supercharges es300 with the megan OE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnXhL3SlA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JXgMR71TUI
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:14 pm

hmm...i forgot all about the megan. after watching your vids it is pretty quiet...especially at lower rpms which is whats important for me. some new things to consider.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:39 pm

bigbirdSCed wrote:hmm...i forgot all about the megan. after watching your vids it is pretty quiet...especially at lower rpms which is whats important for me. some new things to consider.

Build thread. http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=41402

If you want it a little quieter I would go for an Apexi WS muffler instead of a TRD muffler should kill a few DB. Trust me the loudest part of my car is the CPE.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:17 pm

:o ...my apexi ws on my gen4 SCed was loud as crap. nothing quiet about that muffler. but it was the turbo muffler...3".
Last edited by bigbirdSCed on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:18 pm

bigbirdSCed wrote::o ...my apexi ws on my gen4 SCed was loud as crap. nothign quet about that muffler. but it was the turbo muffler...3".

My friends integra WS muffler is near stock levels.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 pm

bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:34 am

obx, my #;s speak for themselves.................... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby WUTANGCLAN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:33 pm

bigbirdSCed wrote:hmm...some good ideas. to clarify incase its not convaied well in the OP...when i say quiet, im thinkin stock exhaust with a TRD muffler or quieter(only below 3000rpms though). i have yet to see a fully built boost friendly exhaust (headers, y-pipe, HFC, 2.5"catback w/res and muffler) as quiet as i need.

this is how quiet it is now...and i need to keep it this quiet if i can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfiFPrSkNMk

would my solution not be a good one for any reason other then extreme noise when open? im no expert by any means but it has seemed to me that the name of the game is low restriction. if im incorrect on this then school me...im still learning :D .

King showed me a promising idea which was a company in aussieland that has electric volume control mufflers. thats somthing id consider since it is close to stock.

TRD mufflers are pretty quiet at idle. Mine was alittle louder than I would've like cuz I got a high-flow cat and AEM cold-air. But overall, it was the perfect tone for the ride. :D
WUTANGCLAN
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kenny6683 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:39 am

Try one of these
http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5326&rsku=0

you can find them on different sites for cheap...like $140

It only decreases the db levels a little but it helps
see these videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFkJgWkkxs4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYH2GM848S8
kenny6683