[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Did you loose some boost with headers?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Did you loose some boost with headers?

Did you loose some boost with headers?

Postby usoff89 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Ok, so the headers and full 3inch exhaust are on the car. The guage read 4psi on the dot before, and now only reads 3psi. I do feel a jump in performance, even with lower boost. Anybody else have the samething happen (hopefully)?

Also I saw on the pullyboys web site, they have a 4.5psi pully. Could the stock fuel system handle that pully? I would think it could, just beacuse it ran at 4psi before. I'm not ready to raise the boost to much just yet, and thought maybe that pully would ge me back round 4-4.5psi safley.

So what do you guys think?
99 SuperCharged Lara
14.7@93 on 1/4mile (average)
Fastest run so far - 14.65@93
4.5psi
usoff89
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Did you loose some boost with headers?

Postby PASolara » Tue May 18, 2010 2:33 pm

usoff89 wrote:Ok, so the headers and full 3inch exhaust are on the car. The guage read 4psi on the dot before, and now only reads 3psi. I do feel a jump in performance, even with lower boost. Anybody else have the samething happen (hopefully)?

Also I saw on the pullyboys web site, they have a 4.5psi pully. Could the stock fuel system handle that pully? I would think it could, just beacuse it ran at 4psi before. I'm not ready to raise the boost to much just yet, and thought maybe that pully would ge me back round 4-4.5psi safley.

Did you have the 3inch exhaust before the headers? Or did you do it all at once?
CAI, 3"Custom exhaust ,Ground Kit, Trd quick shifter,P&P 3 heads and intake, .flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, LSD,RSB.ES control arm busings,spring+struts
PASolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Tue May 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Not that I have any experience with the s/c, but i have seen on other forums that when you open up the intake (after the sc) or exhaust side, you'll lose some boost. Not to say you actually lose any amount of air its flowing, there's just less resistance
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby usoff89 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Yes, I did the headers and the 3inch exhaust at once.

Anybody have any comments on the smaller pully idea? I still want to stay in the safe range for the stock fuel system.
99 SuperCharged Lara
4.5psi
usoff89
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

the stock fuel system would hold up fine with 4.5psi of boost. its when you raise it higher than 5psi is where you need fuel mods.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby usoff89 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm

ok, thanks.
99 SuperCharged Lara
4.5psi
usoff89
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PASolara » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:05 am

usoff89 wrote:Ok, so the headers and full 3inch exhaust are on the car. The guage read 4psi on the dot before, and now only reads 3psi. I do feel a jump in performance, even with lower boost. Anybody else have the samething happen (hopefully)?

As far as loosing boost from headers that is common. I have modified a lot of Grand Prix's (GTP’s) and some other L67 and L32 cars. When adding headers to those cars you lose anywhere from 2-5 PSI depending on other mods.
CAI, 3"Custom exhaust ,Ground Kit, Trd quick shifter,P&P 3 heads and intake, .flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, LSD,RSB.ES control arm busings,spring+struts
PASolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby usoff89 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 am

The 4.5psi pulley is on the car, and running great. I took it to the track last night and I ran a 14.8-14.9 all night. The car ran a constant 15-15.1 with the stock pulley at 3psi.

mods so far:
headers and 3inch exhaust
ingen intake
TB spacer
lite weight crank pulley
4.5psi pulley
GM knock sensors

mods to come:
walbro 255
supra injectors
jims fuel upgrade
6psi pulley
afc and y-band

I hope with these mods I could get the car in the high 13's, but we'll see. :wink:
99 SuperCharged Lara
4.5psi
usoff89
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby bbq bob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 pm

#1, if you go to 51/2lb pully or above you need to run 94.2 octane or better, or you'll blow it up, go read all of jetbtkng's forced induction posts, im at 296whp doing what he did, frank's solara is over 304whp and 302lbft at 7lbs, also franks going to put an 8 pounder pully on, he thinks he can get 310 whp, with no problem...
330 whp , 331 ft. lbs. torque Camry , Track driven , Race proven , lots of mods.Image
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby usoff89 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:49 am

I do plan on running a higher octane, I'd also like to look into meth.
99 SuperCharged Lara
4.5psi
usoff89
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SirThomas88 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:33 pm

usoff89 wrote:I do plan on running a higher octane, I'd also like to look into meth.

Meth is great. You really can feel the gain. Seriously, there have been a couple times where I stupidly let myself run so low on meth that the force of accelerating pushed the remaining boost juice away from the bottom of the reservoir where the port to the pump is. A moment later and the liquid would move back down and through the pump. I could easily feel that short delay in meth delivery.

Someone is selling a new meth kit on the forums if you can nab it.

Edit: Wow just realized how old that post was. Oops.
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Eye8Pussies » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:43 am

^ you should really avoid doing that....that lack of power before the "power boost " when your meth finally hits is your engine knocking since it was tuned to run with meth, and the knock sensors retarding the timing until the meth comes in to cool down the intake charge....someday the knock sensors may not do their jobs and your motor's going to pop

and as everybody's been saying- that loss of boost is from less backpressure from the exhaust, and theoretically, boost will build a bit slower as well
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Forced Induction