[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - AFR sensor mounting?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

AFR sensor mounting?

AFR sensor mounting?

Postby bigbirdSCed » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Hey guys, its been quite a while for me :) . Had a question that i couldnt find searching, im trying to mount my AFR sensor in my Y-pipe but yeah, its stainless. I have a welder and a bung but didnt want to tackle it untill i was sure it would work. Can i use a mig welder to weld this steel bung onto the stainless Y-pipe? should i just have a pro do it? trying to get my tuning stuff finalized.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: AFR sensor mounting?

Postby lemegacool » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 pm

hi!

i'm a full time welder so i"ll answer you

yes you can use the mig welder to weld into stainless but i'm assuming you run mild steel wire in it so yeah it would work but it will create a rust point since the mild steel weld WILL rust

best would be to buy a tiny spool of stainless wire ;)

is your bung made out of stainless or mild steel? if its made of mild steel then use 309l wire if its in SS then its probably 304l so use 304l wire

or if youre lazy just weld it with mild steel wire and then spray barbecue paint over it loll

personally i would TIG weld it with SS filler rod and an argon backpurge

oh i got a question? :) where exactly are you putting it? and what is the best place to put it? (i would thing straight after the ''Y'') i'll be getting a wideband too soon...
1994 camry v6 5 speed swapped
custom m90 blower in progress
cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3872430
lemegacool
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby bigbirdSCed » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:36 pm

its a mild steel bung, figured it wouldnt be useful to get a sainless one since i dont have a tig. thats good to know i can still use it, im ok with a little paint on there, jsut didnt want it to end up cracking and falling off because of teh different compositions. as for location, im gonna mount it just after the Y as you have said, but im thinking it will be better closer to the cat. id want the sensor to pick up a good even mix of gasses from both banks, if its too close, it may get a majority from one bank or the other.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby lemegacool » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:32 pm

yeah that makes sense... to let time for the 2 banks to mix together!

and your bung wont fall off ;)
1994 camry v6 5 speed swapped
custom m90 blower in progress
cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3872430
lemegacool
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby bigbirdSCed » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:40 pm

well thanks man. this is something im gonna tackle this winter. its been very slow progress getting this thing setup for tuning becaue of other stuff, but i have all the parts and REALLY want to see what an improvement it makes over the setup now.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I found this yesterday while looking for widebands. Looks like a decent alternative to welding. http://www.aemelectronics.com/search/re ... ds=no+weld
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Forced Induction