[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - closed/open loop, bad tps?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

closed/open loop, bad tps?

closed/open loop, bad tps?

Postby 1gSE » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:19 am

Ok so last weekend (when I made the video) if you watch the wideband I'm pretty deep into the throttle then all of a sudden once the afr drops to 11 something the tires break loose and it pulls like a mofo. I checked the tps voltage a few days ago. The reference voltage from the ecu is fine, and so is voltage with the throttle closed. Opening the throttle is where the problems start. I was getting 2.something closed and 3.6v WOT, the repair manual says it should be up to 5.2v. Also, according to my OBD2 scanner I'm not going into open loop until about 3.5 to 4k rpm. I'm making pretty good boost by then, but the afr is around 15. I only did this a few times to confirm. Obviously I can't do much tuning in closed loop. I have a new tps sensor on the way, I'm hoping this fixes my problem :-? Any other ideas?
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: closed/open loop, bad tps?

Postby SirThomas88 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am

First off... what video???

Also, I'm not sure I understand this. As far as I know, Open/Closed Loop is determined by throttle position. So anything above 50% (i think) should put your car into Closed Loop, regardless of your RPMs. 15:1 AFR is what you should expect to see in Open Loop. That's normal for low throttle. Also, what OBD2 scanner are you using? I use a ScanGaugeII, and there is a delay in when it displays Open/Closed Loop.

Have you tried spraying MAF cleaner on your MAF sensor and tried cleaning out your throttle body?
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:39 pm

My video in the pix and vids section http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50891 you got open loop and closed loop backwards. The new tps helped a bit, but there's still issues when it goes into O/L. You can literally feel the switch. I'll be around 5 or 6 psi, running pretty lean...then there's this surge of power once it goes rich. Its not a smooth transition at all. Its like vtec kicked in yo! I played around with the fuel map some more a few days ago, trying to richen up the bottom end of the map. Its helping a bit, but it still needs work. The scanner Im using is some cheap thing off of manyadeal.com. Throttle body was cleaned during the sc install and the MAF was cleaned about a month ago
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby lemegacool » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 am

if i were you i would try to get my hands on a split second esc1 (ego signal conditionner) it basically puts you car in open loop at the slight glance of boost pressure...
1994 camry v6 5 speed swapped
custom m90 blower in progress
cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3872430
lemegacool
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 pm

A different piggyback has crossed my mind more than once. I gonna try something when I get back from Italy. Im thinking about using the MAF map to add fuel while in boost (since I already got that taken car of) and using the pressure map to add fuel lower in the rpm range where I'm kinda lean. I know it sounds bass akwards, but the pressure map seemed more difficult to tune since it can make boost and such a low engine speed. I doubt it'll work the way I want, but its worth a shot
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby JimKing » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:32 am

I used a JayCar voltage switch (reading a MAP sensor) to switch a resistor in parallel with the TPS when manifold pressure goes positive. This instantly boosts the voltage the ECU sees from the TPS to be very close to WOT even if you are only at part throttle. Which kicks it out of closed loop.
JimKing
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Smaay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, This is exactly what happened in my 6th gen celica when i turboed it. I was using an AEM FIC for piggyback, and no matter what i tried to do in the settings, i could not tune out the change over. the worst part was if i was driving hard, lets sat in 2nd gear and WOT it would be lean then change over and the surge, when i shift to 3rd it would be back in C/L and if i go WOT it would ping like crazy.

i just dont think the FIC can win the battle with the stock ECU. I was trying to adapt my 3S-GTE AEM EMS to run the 5S-FE but i ended up scrapping that idea and now im dropping in a 1MZ.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gregtrd » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Look up urds web site on esc1 or afr controller, n/a ecu's will get a lean spike from close loop to open loop
In order to not have this issue you need a esc1, So when you see 0-1 lb of boost the esc1 will switch to open loop no matter what throttle position you're in thous eliminating the lean spike, some please have Gadget explain this.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 1gSE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm

The problem was taken care of when I rewired the fic. I wired in the o2 sensors and some resistors to add fuel in closed loop
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Gregtrd » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

^^^^^ wow
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer