[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Gas additives question
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Gas additives question

Gas additives question

Postby wagonsrule » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 am

Hey guys, I want to tune my car at 91 or more but with gas prices rising, I was wondering what would be the ratio of gas mixing for octane booster (toluene, xylene,mysery oil,etc.) when added to 87 or 89 or if it's not worth it and I should just buy 91.
Also, a question. If the supercharger is bypassed (let's say with the EBC on an auto in 1st) do I need to use 91 gas still? If I am not boosting, wouldn't 87 be enough? (I'd use the EBC to cut boost in all gears)
Any help would be appreciated.
----------------------
94 Camry V6 Wagon SUPERCHARGED @ 5 psi!!!! One of a KIND! (6-7psi coming up)
SAFC
75 cu ft. of storage space :D
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Gas additives question

Postby ftw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:40 am

I'm not so sure I understand what you are saying. You have a SC installed but you are using the EBC so that you have no boost?
New Daily: 2005 Corolla XRS
SOLD: DWP 1999 SE V6| Eibach/Tokico| Super Pro Dogbone Bushings, FSB Bushings| Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushings| Injen Intake
ftw
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby stringbean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 am

If your cutting boost you should be fine running 89. On any forced induction you don't wanna use 87 due to possible knock. Use a higher grade, 89 with boosters should be fine if your running low boost anything over ~5psi run 91. Your engine will thanks you.

But why are you running the ebc to cut boost in first and if at all any gear? I thought you bought the charger to gain boost not have it and not use it lol hope this helps and if I'm wring someone correct me!
Last edited by stringbean on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:33 am

stringbean wrote:If your cutting boost you should be fine running 89. On any forced induction you don't wanna use 87 due to possible knock. Use a higher grade, 87 with boosters should be fine if your running low boost anything over ~5psi run 91. Your engine will thanks you.

But why are you running the ebc to cut boost in first and if at all any gear? I thought you bought the charger to gain boost not have it and not use it lol hope this helps and if I'm wring someone correct me!

Even if your cutting boost you have to understand that at one point you will be boosting so the compression ratio will go up, and with low octane the motor can knock. Also what do you mean by cutting boost? you will be cutting boost completely? I really dont get it, point is dont run 87 trust me you dont want to hurt anything here. To get higher octane levels theres always meth. Xylene has be take off the market here in socal, i dont know whats the situation over there. Also know that xylene kills your cat and destroys it from inside. If you want to keep your cat without it being damaged run toulene.

But yeah imo its not safe to run anything less than 91...
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby wagonsrule » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 am

You know, gas here is at 5$/ gallon (1.30$/L) for supreme (91). What do you pay for 91? I'd like to have complete control on boost. When the EBC cuts boost, isn't there no difference between stock and S/Ced since it has a bypass valve? I want to have control on the boost so that boost is available when you switch the EBC off and microprocessor control it to cut boost at all gears. When I want to have fun, I switch the EBC off...

As for toulene, isn't that contained in lacquer thinner? What would be the mix to boost the octane up to 91 from 87?
As for meth, where do you find it. In windshield washer? Any mix recipes? Thanks and I'm not boosted yet.
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 pm

wagonsrule wrote:You know, gas here is at 5$/ gallon (1.30$/L) for supreme (91). What do you pay for 91? I'd like to have complete control on boost. When the EBC cuts boost, isn't there no difference between stock and S/Ced since it has a bypass valve? I want to have control on the boost so that boost is available when you switch the EBC off and microprocessor control it to cut boost at all gears. When I want to have fun, I switch the EBC off...

As for toulene, isn't that contained in lacquer thinner? What would be the mix to boost the octane up to 91 from 87?
As for meth, where do you find it. In windshield washer? Any mix recipes? Thanks and I'm not boosted yet.

Here at my gas station i pay 4.20 a gallon i understand its expensive dude but you gotta pay to play. Not trying to sound like an ass here im just trying to help out a fellow s/c member. If you will be cutting boost at all time at a certain point then your car will run pretty much stock and not allowing boost to engage. Then running 87 at that point would be cool. If you want to use special addetives like xylene or toulene im not sure what the mixture is so you can get 91. When i use xylene to get 94.5 i usually fill up to half tank of 91 use a gallon of xylene and 3 ounces of marvel's mystery oil.

Methanol injection you can find it on ebay, look for snowperformance meth kits they are a bit pricey but they are worth the money and always keeps ur octane level up
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby wagonsrule » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks! Can you replace xylene by toulene? I know toulene is not pure in lacquer thinner. Can you still use it? Will it too be damageable for the cat? I can still buy xylene here but it's special ordered.
And by the way, I have no problem with paying, I just want to save a bit somewhere. :)
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 pm

wagonsrule wrote:Thanks! Can you replace xylene by toulene? I know toulene is not pure in lacquer thinner. Can you still use it? Will it too be damageable for the cat? I can still buy xylene here but it's special ordered.
And by the way, I have no problem with paying, I just want to save a bit somewhere. :)

You can use it, it will just kill the cat slowly but ehhh screw it just run a test pipe and you should be good :)

but yeah no problem man just helping out a fellow member, keep us posted on any further questions :)
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Sp33d » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:23 pm

i have been using one gallon of xylene with 15 gallons of 91 with 3 oz of marvel mystery oil to make it 92.3 octane alone with the snow performance for a while.

as of recently they have taken xylene off of the shelves but toluene is still on the shelf, however, the octane is somewhere around 107 instead of xylene, which is 117 octane. simple math, the more toluene you add and the less 91 octane gasoline you add, the higher your octane will be. from my experience, since xylene was pulled off the shelves i have ran normal 91 octane with the meth kit and it has been running fine, keep in mind that i have a gutted cat.

in reference to your question, if you do simple math again, the difference between running 87 octane and 91 octane throughout a year is negligible. consider pumping gas once a week, the difference between filling 16 gallons at 87 octane and 16 gallons at 91 octane is 3.2 dollars. 3.2 dollars times 4 weeks in a month is about 13 bucks a month. 13 bucks a month times 12 months a year is roughly 150 bucks a year. if you cant shell out 150 bucks a year for added security, then dont even think about fixing up your car. in comparison to the grand scheme of things, 150 bucks really isnt much. and if it is...youre in the wrong game.
Sp33d
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wagonsrule » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Yeah thanks! I hadn't calculated the math. 150$ a year is nothing! Go to MCdonalds 5 times less per year and you save on gas :). Thanks for the tip for xylene and toluene. Will just pump 91 when I'm boosting.
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby stringbean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm

87 is 1.23/L and 89 is 1.27/L and 91 is 1.32/L and at one chevron you can get 94 for 1.44/L
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wagonsrule » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Say yeah for Canada! Damn taxes... and gas stations pay it less than 1$/l...
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby lemegacool » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

man the stock 1mz does not like 87oct... actually i think toyota rates it to use 91 oct... i always fill up with 91 oct
1994 camry v6 5 speed swapped
custom m90 blower in progress
cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3872430
lemegacool
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wagonsrule » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:37 am

yeah it's the lexus motor in ours. .runs on 91 stock
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Forced Induction