[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Help with supercharger on GEN3
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Help with supercharger on GEN3

Help with supercharger on GEN3

Postby wagonsrule » Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi I'm calling to Gen3 camry supercharged guys and others who know about install.

My supercharger ( or intake ,etc) seems to be doing a lot of noise for nothing. The supercharger, by hand, turns fine but a low wheezing sound that starts at 1800 rpm (sounds like a 14 wheeler or big cummins truck lol) and I can hear a bit of whine at higher rpms but that is drowned by the noise.

What I would like to ask is :

1: In the installation manual, at one place (Fig 20 of install on page 7Image) it was said to cut the IAC hose and install the TRD supplied one way valve. In my install, this was not done. Is this what causes the sound that sounds like a vacuum or air leak?
There are a couple things that don't add up. First of all I installed the vacuum hoses like in the orig manual not like the supplement. But my car does not have the air cleaner like in pics of installation diagram. There is no loose vacuum hose and all is connected to vacuum. All hoses that went to EGR are blocked off at the VSV and on the throttle body. Boost actuator is connected to the lower nipple on the intake so I have mecanical boost. Like this

Any help would be helpful since I don't like the sound it's making.(And not supercharger noise since that's nothing (little barely noticeable vibrations at idle))
----------------------
94 Camry V6 Wagon SUPERCHARGED @ 5 psi!!!! One of a KIND! (6-7psi coming up)
SAFC
75 cu ft. of storage space :D
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Help with supercharger on GEN3

Postby Budd81 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 pm

the "air cleaner" is your air filter, intake, etc. you have one
I would install the one-way valve. I went to the junkyard & found the newest looking car & took the brake booster one-way valve.
i used one off of a solara, works great. install so it allows air from the throttle body to the manifold & blocks flow from the manifold to the throttle body.
99 Camry V6 5-speed S/C'd
Budd81
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wagonsrule » Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Here's a vid of the sound. I'll try getting the one-way valve and installing it. But where does the IAC hose connect to? To intake? That means there is no vacuum but air going through it and that's why I have that sound since air flows back from the manifold (boosted) to the air intake?

View My Video
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Budd81 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:35 pm

The IAC hose stays where it is & exactly like it was stock. you cut it in half & install the one-way valve into it.
Its the hose that comes from the throttle body & splits into 2 hoses which go into each side of the manifold
Budd81
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wagonsrule » Tue May 24, 2011 8:43 pm

ill check into that. Hopefully that will be the reason of the noise
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wagonsrule » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Installed one-way valve from a 95 civic but it did not correct my problem (if you can call it a problem.). Is it the intake that makes more sound since I am demanding more air? The sound doesn't seem to come from the passenger side but more from the driver side(air intake and throttle body). I am currently running the stock intake.... would that be why there is more sound? I was told before that supercharger will tune intake sound (will make a intake that is really loud on a NA engine silent, etc). Like said before, I develop full boost and all vacuum hoses are blocked so I am not leaking vacuum.
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Budd81 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I know that the stock intake is superquiet w my set-up b/c i just put it on last saturday & could barely hear the S/Cer whine
i didnt like it so i reinstalled my SRI. As for the sound im not sure. I have all vac hoses hooked up on my set-up.
If everything is running fine, i wouldnt worry about it. Its probably from the vac line being blocked off? you'd have to find someone on here who has or has had theres blocked. I did mine exactly as the orignal set-up in the manual.
Budd81
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wagonsrule » Wed May 25, 2011 3:31 pm

I can hear the SC whine some times but only at very high rpm. The sound is more like a intake leak or something. I'll maybe do the vacuum wiring like in the supplement manual but the problem doesn't seem to be with the vacuum.
You say your lines aren't blocked off? The original set-up had trd supplied vacuum caps and all. The VSV rack is blocked off like in the manual.
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gregtrd » Wed May 25, 2011 3:46 pm

if you're only boosting 4lbs, the s/c will whine but not that loud and only at high rpm. if you think you got a vacuum leak hook up a scan tool and see what your short and long fuel trims are. they should equal close to zero at idle.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Budd81 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:02 pm

yes i used the 2 TRD caps like the set-up showed.
i did it like the supplement but it sucked. . it took time to reach full boost. i would check your intake. look for cracks or splits in the ridges of it. sometimes if just looking at it, it will look fine but can have a split or tear in the intake. squeeze all around it and you might find a tear. If thats where the noise is coming from I would start there. B/c when i had my stock intake on last weekend all i heard was my exhaust. everything under the hood was pretty quiet especially around the intake.
Budd81
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wagonsrule » Wed May 25, 2011 7:20 pm

OK, I'll try checking for that. Maybe I'll get another intake or a SRI to check. Considering the amount of air the supercharger requires, I wouldn't be surprised if I had torn the intake apart on my 40-120kph runs...:)
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wagonsrule » Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 am

I have checked again and I think my problem is the EGR pipe(exhaust sound more than intake. I left the OEM pipe and had it blocked off but either the gasket may have broken or the pipe, after having pried it a couple dozen times, developped a leak. As soon as I'll be able to, I'll check that.
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wagonsrule » Sun May 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Solved, gasket on pipe (EGR?) coming out of the headers back to engine had broken and come loose. It became apparent today when it turned instead to a low pitch rumble at 2000rpm. Put on a EGR blocking plate and the original gasket and now it's as quiet as it was before sc install. More exhaust flow from 40-120km/h runs at 5psi was the culprit :)

Also, reset SAFC and now the throttle is working at arrow up and the AFR meter is working correctly (no 60% AFR..... :drinking: )
----------------------
SAFC
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Forced Induction