[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread

Re: SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread

Postby ASG14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 pm

OMFG, Thats where they did the flippin body ground? $425?!?!?!?!?! Really?!?!?!?
ASG14
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SirThomas88 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm

ASG14 wrote:OMFG, Thats where they did the flippin body ground? $425?!?!?!?!?! Really?!?!?!?

Yeah, but they doubled the ground. It's grounded in the trunk, and they also ran the ground all the way back to the engine bay where it was originally grounded.

I got three quotes from shops, they were the cheapest! One shop quoted me $600, and another almost $800!!!!
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm

wow! that teaser looks insane dude! looking forward to seeing this done. Mine is slowly coming along as well. Ive been thinking of just running an m90 intercooled, with a 75 shot.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby SolaraPete » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 pm

SirThomas88 wrote:
ASG14 wrote:OMFG, Thats where they did the flippin body ground? $425?!?!?!?!?! Really?!?!?!?

Yeah, but they doubled the ground. It's grounded in the trunk, and they also ran the ground all the way back to the engine bay where it was originally grounded.

I got three quotes from shops, they were the cheapest! One shop quoted me $600, and another almost $800!!!!

Hate to dwell on this subject but as a very experienced 12v tech i HAVE to ask...

1. Is there a fuse or circuit breaker in the trunk? (please tell me its hiding behind the battery!)
2. What exactly is the isolator isolating? The ground is connected to 1 side and nothing on the other...
3. Why is the ground cable 4ga but the power is 1/0ga?
4. Same question as ASG - Why is the main ground not going to the frame?

Running the ground to the front is hardly necessary, and a waste of wire. Your local shops are taking you for a ride, theres no way they can justify $425 (much less $800) in materials and labor and have it look like that....

Very excited about the rest of your build man :sweet: - cant wait to see how it turns out!
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cartang » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 am

Really good . :D
[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj307/cartang1/007-2-1.jpg[/IMG]
Camry 99, 5sp manual, SC,CPE intake,OBX headers, Jim's fuel system,Walbro pump,Greddy exhaust,Exedy 1 clutch,Fidanza flyweel.
Camry 07, V6,TRD cat back,Fujita CAI, GS 430 rims
cartang
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SirThomas88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

SolaraPete wrote:
Hate to dwell on this subject but as a very experienced 12v tech i HAVE to ask...

1. Is there a fuse or circuit breaker in the trunk? (please tell me its hiding behind the battery!)
2. What exactly is the isolator isolating? The ground is connected to 1 side and nothing on the other...
3. Why is the ground cable 4ga but the power is 1/0ga?
4. Same question as ASG - Why is the main ground not going to the frame?

Running the ground to the front is hardly necessary, and a waste of wire. Your local shops are taking you for a ride, theres no way they can justify $425 (much less $800) in materials and labor and have it look like that....

Very excited about the rest of your build man :sweet: - cant wait to see how it turns out!

It's cool I appreciate your questions! Especially from someone with experience in this (because I dont).

1. They located a circuit breaker in the engine bay.
2. The isolator currently isn't isolating anything. They left it that way so I could isolate the battery only if I was having draining issues.
3. I don't know why, except that maybe because they grounded it in the front as well.
4. Because they are idiots? I dunno. Is that a bad spot? I mean the trunk well is welded to the frame afterall, isn't it? Should have the same effect. I dont know, you tell me!
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraPete » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:19 pm

The circuit breaker in the engine bay is great but you NEED one in the back (within 12in of the battery). If something causes that wire to short between the front and back of the car, there is nothing to stop the current flow from the battery. This usually results in lots of sparks and/or a fire.

I still dont understand why they put in the battery isolator. Unless you plan to add a 2nd battery at some point, it doesnt serve a purpose. As far as battery drain issues go, you shouldnt have any if its all wired properly :lol:

The 'front-to-back' 4ga ground wire is redunant. You should have any ground wires that were connected at the front neg post connected to the oem grounding point for the front battery. Then, the rear battery should have a ground wire (the same gauge as the power wire) connected to the main chassis. The spare tire well is thin metal, not really a good grounding spot for an amp much less your battery. You also want your battery ground as short as possible - long lengths of wire make poor grounds.

Feel free to pm me if you need some help man - i really hope $425 included the battery cuz i just dont see that amount of parts and labor here...

:cheers:
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SirThomas88 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Great advice where were you when I was posting and doing research about my battery relocation before I started? :p

I'll put it on my to do list to move the circuit breaker from the engine bay to the trunk and also to relocate the ground wire in the trunk, and to confirm they grounded the original battery ground in the engine bay properly and all that.

In fact, I think I'll just tell them to fix their crap!!
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraPete » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Too bad you're not closer or i'd just fix it for you myself! :D

And to be clear - keep the breaker up front, just add one in the back to protect the battery.
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GreeKAvaLoN » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Pete, do you still have my number? I have some electrical gremlins you might help with lol.

Btw, cars making awesome progress! Haven't read too thoroughly but it looks like everything is going smoothly.
are avalons supposed to be this fast?
GreeKAvaLoN
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wagonsrule » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Suscribed as well, can't wait to see you twincharged. -__- I definitately gotta go to Maine and see Gabe for my Camry.
----------------------
94 Camry V6 Wagon SUPERCHARGED @ 5 psi!!!! One of a KIND! (6-7psi coming up)
SAFC
75 cu ft. of storage space :D
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SirThomas88 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 am

Car is now being disassembled and all parts have been purchased, except for the gauges I'll need. Prolly going to go with an expensive PLX Devices gauge package including their DM-100 digital multi-gauge and a bunch of their sensor modules for intake temp, fluid temp, and others.
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bostonlara » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:52 am

SirThomas88 wrote:Car is now being disassembled and all parts have been purchased, except for the gauges I'll need. Prolly going to go with an expensive PLX Devices gauge package including their DM-100 digital multi-gauge and a bunch of their sensor modules for intake temp, fluid temp, and others.

Saw your car in person at gabes a month ago. Very nice set up you have, also saw your new engine on its stand. It's gonna be epic!!!
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am

SirThomas88 wrote:Car is now being disassembled and all parts have been purchased, except for the gauges I'll need. Prolly going to go with an expensive PLX Devices gauge package including their DM-100 digital multi-gauge and a bunch of their sensor modules for intake temp, fluid temp, and others.

Awesome man! Looking forward to seeing your build come along!
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby SirThomas88 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 pm

ToyoSolV6 wrote:

Awesome man! Looking forward to seeing your build come along!

Thanks dude!

I miss my car!!! I want to cry... :cry:
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction