[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread

SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread

Postby SirThomas88 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey dudes, some of you may know that I've had build plans in the works for awhile now. I haven't really talked much about it on any forums, keeping mostly to the people working on the build and a few friends. Well finally, after tons of research and planning and buying parts, it looks like the swap is almost ready to begin and I think the time has come to share the build with you all. It's really exciting to me to see all the amazing builds going on recently. I love seeing the direction everyone chooses to go with their own build and all the differences and similarities in ways to approach it. I can't wait to see how all these builds end up. I've been working with Gabe extensively for about a year to plan and develop this project and he'll also be doing the swap and build. Gabe's been building a bunch of custom parts for me, including the radiator kit, turbo kit, and over all has been instrumental in helping me plan this one out. For anyone who follows Gabe's business Facebook page, you've probably seen some photos of some of the parts he's making. There are other SG and TN members that deserve credit, like GregTRD, Adam G., Bob, and Rob, who are always wonderful people to talk to and bounce ideas off of or source parts from. I hope you guys will enjoy what I've got planned and provide some comments and suggestions!

Goal
A safe, reliable and complete 400whp (600whp capable) Twincharged 3.1L v6 Camry street monster.

Background
Here's a little back story on where my car stands now. I got my 2000 Camry v6 auto-trans back in 2006, and have been modifying it ever since. Everything I know about modifying cars has been from learning as I go on my Camry. Last summer (2011) a couple TN guys and myself swapped in a 5 speed trans. The car is currently TRD supercharged at 5.5psi with lots of goodies. Some of it's current mods are methanol injection, NST crank pulley, poly trans mount, 305cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, NGK plugs and wires,SAFC2 for fuel tuning, AEM wideband AFR gauge, OBX headers, y-pipe, and muffler, JPP cat-back, Jim's torque rod, Optima yellow top battery, carbon fiber hood, TRD rear struts/springs, K-Sport front coilovers, 17" wheels, drilled and slotted OEM rotors, TRD rear sway bar, TRD front strut tower bar, fidanza flywheel, TWM short-shifter, Jim's Fuel mod, um.. I think that covers most of it.

Car dyno'd at 244whp on a street tune. I definitely feel that with a proper tune and my exhaust not leaking, I could have dyno'd closer to 255whp. Oh, engine has well over 200,000 miles on it. Not sure exactly how much is on it because I replaced the gauge cluster and I have yet to do the math. The engine is also leaking oil and possibly coolant like a mo-fo, and blow-by is considerable.

The Engine
I had the wonderful opportunity to buy Ryan's (Akora12) 3.1L 1MZ a while back and jumped on it. Many of you probably remember this engine, it has a lot of history on the forums. I don't remember the full history, except that Akora installed this engine into his Solara, calling it the "Black Ninja", and then blew up his transmission and decided to part out his car (silly guy). Before that it was in a few different hands, and was once in Gabe (TRD4Life)'s infamous "Red Knight" Solara. Interestingly, it has come full-circle back to Gabe and is now sitting with him up in Maine waiting for my car. The block has been built pretty extensively but the heads have not really been touched except to rebuild them back to OEM spec. All engine work was done before I bought it, however I plan to eventually take the heads off and have them customized. Custom cams, port and polish, custom valves, lifters, etc

Engine specs:
-Block Overbored 0.5mm (0.020")
-Arias Custom-Forged Pistons (9.0:1 Compression Ratio)
-Eagle 22R Custom-Machined Connecting Rods
-Balanced, Magnafluxed and Micropolished Crankshaft
-ARP Head Studs
-ARP Main Studs
-Toyota Avalon VVT-i MLS Head Gaskets
-King Bearings
-Powdercoated Satin-Black Valve Covers
-Powdercoated Satin-Black Block

Forced Induction
So, what to do with a block that should handle 600whp? Twincharge it! I already have a TRD blower, but as we all know, the blower is very boost-limited. Gabe got his hands on an unfinished 1MZ turbo kit, so we decided to finish it and slap it on my car. It comes with a GT35R turbo which we plan to boost starting at 10psi. The boost will feed into a water intercooler before reaching the supercharger. The point of having the supercharger is to eliminate turbo lag and provide power on the low end, as well as some additional boost across the RPM band. Besides, how cool is it to say I have both a turbo and an s/c!? For the s/c we'll be using a 6psi Underdog pulley, however since the engine has lowered compression it will be making less boost, maybe around 5psi? I'm not sure exactly, but total boost should be around 15psi. I don't want to spin the TRD s/c too fast and heat soak the thing. To reduce heat soak, I'm planning to inject a small shot of methanol/water mixture before the throttle body. By small shot I mean around 225-425ml. I know I should go for more methanol, but I reaaally don't want to because I hate having to fill that thing up every time I get speed happy on the highway. If I can program multiple tunes, one for with methanol and one for no methanol, then I'd be okay with a bigger shot of meth, maybe 625-1000ml.

Due to the unusual turbo location, Gabe has had to develop a custom radiator set up. Here's a photo of my future radiator being test fitted.

Fuel + Air + Fire = Boom!
For now, we're going to stick with the Walbro 255 pump. We aren't 100% confident that the 255lph pump will be sufficient, but we're going to try it out. If it's not, we may have to go with a bigger external fuel pump. Also switching to the toyota return-style fuel rails and upgrading the size of the fuel line. Injectors are 525cc. Adding in a plasma booster, Magnacore ignition wires, and colder spark plugs (not sure which to go with yet). Also including a Mallory fuel pressure regulator. For the intake, we'll be installing ported and polished lower intake manifold and throttle body, and I'm weighing my options as far as porting the TRD supercharger as well. For management, we decided on the Greddy e-Manage Ultimate. I've heard some people recommend it, others not recommend it, but overall the reviews on using this device on our cars gives me confidence about it. I've had a patch harness made and Tweak'd Performance wired in the Greddy pigtails so I don't have to worry about botching it myself.

Drivetrain
Obviously, traction is going to be a big issue, so I found an MR2 Turbo transmission, complete with a factory LSD. Besides that, I need to junk the 5 speed I have in my car now. It grinds gears like a mo-fo! Due to it being an LSD transmission, we've had to find mr2 axles and also had some custom axle work done. I was considering building the CV joints, but decided that until I go with sticker/wider tires, I should be fine for now. The way I figure it, I'll break the tires loose before I break an axle. One of the few parts I haven't bought yet is a clutch. I've had my eye on the ACT Xtreme 4-puck, sprung clutch. I'm open to suggestions on this one guys. I want something reliable that won't kill my left foot and that I can drive with on the street! I know, it's a tall order...

Suspension, Brakes, and Handling
For now I'll be sticking with the K-Sport Kontrol Pro front coilovers and rear TRD strut/springs. I already have a front TRD strut bar, and rear TRD anti-sway bar. I'll be adding in Energy Suspension front control arm bushings, SuperPro rack and pinion bushings, and a Whiteline front anti-sway bar. For brakes, I'll be upgrading to the twin-piston bolt on set up in front, with ES300 calipers and rotors in the rear. Steel-braided brake lines will be going on as well.

Concerns
Supercharger Heat Soak: I'm worried that with a 6psi pulley and only a small shot of methanol, that I will get heat soak. I want this build to be reliable in all weather temperatures!
Supercharger Restriction: We all know the supercharger is pretty small, I'm definitely worried about sufficient airflow through the supercharger from the turbo.
Head Restriction: The heads are stock, so I'm not too confident about how this will affect overall performance and health of the engine. The lower intake manifold and throttle body will be ported and polished to help with airflow.
Traction: I'm looking into what I can do to limit boost in low gears. I don't want this car to be undriveable in first and second gears.
Engine Cooling System: Gabe assures me that the radiator will be more than big enough to keep the engine cool, but I can't help but worry.
Turbo intercooler: I'm not very familiar with water intercoolers, and worry about the water not cooling down enough before going back to the intercooler.
Fuel Pump The walbro 255 may not be sufficient.
Cams: I've recently read an article on TN about how stock cams are bad for high boost applications due to valve overlap. The argument was that with the considerable valve overlap that our stock cams have, boost will be lost into the exhaust before the cylinder is compressed, resulting in lowered boost and an inaccurate AFR reading. I definitely need to get some more input on this subject.

Due to my concerns about the TRD supercharger, I've actually considered selling it and going with Gabe's M90 kit instead. Or perhaps going single turbo. The thing is, I reeeallly like having the TRD blower! I love saying I have the TRD blower. It looks cool, it's from TRD, it's uncommon. AND, it fits and looks great under the TRD strut tower bar. Simply put, I would feel like my build was missing something without it!

Well, that's everything I can think of! I'm sure I'm forgetting some details. I should be shipping my car up to Gabe in Maine within a few weeks so he can get started on it! I'll keep you guys updated with the progress.
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: SirThomas's Twincharged 3.1L build thread

Postby Gregtrd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:47 pm

I would stick with the stock radiator.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Nice! Good luck on the build, that thing will kill it on the street!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 pm

SirThomas88 wrote:Concerns
Supercharger Heat Soak: I'm worried that with a 6psi pulley and only a small shot of methanol, that I will get heat soak. I want this build to be reliable in all weather temperatures!

It's going to get heat soaked regardless of PSI pushed out because it's direct attachment to the engine. Heat will transfer across the manifold whether you like it or not.

An option is to use a material called Garolite to make your own Thermal barrier gaskets to help fight the heat transfer. I've asked Gabe about these before but he says they don't work because the clearance between the manifold and the hood but I'm skeptical about that. Since you can get them in varying thicknesses you can decide how temp resistant to want them to be.

This is just speculation but I'd imagine if you went thick enough you'd be able to tune the runners for a slightly better top end. Speculation though

This is one done on my old prelude with the garolite material

Supercharger Restriction: We all know the supercharger is pretty small, I'm definitely worried about sufficient airflow through the supercharger from the turbo.

I'm sure Gabe can determine the max CFM output of the Blower at a given PSI. Remember CFM not PSI

Head Restriction: The heads are stock, so I'm not too confident about how this will affect overall performance and health of the engine. The lower intake manifold and throttle body will be ported and polished to help with airflow.

You're always gaining over the stock castings, they are rough, porous, and overall terra crappy. Forgetting for the moment port enlarging, a simple polishing will yield small gains. A reduction in air turbulence will increase velocities, helping atomization along with engine breathing. I'd say spent the little extra bit, get a nice 3 angle on the head and have them EXPERTLY ported and polished, both side. Shouldn't cost you but around 150-250 per head depending on how much they take out.

A good shop will also be able to flow test the heads, so if you take the given CFM output of the supercharger, and the given output of the turbo at said PSI (there should be a compressor map for the turbo) and then with some equations and crap you can figure out how much air will be consumed by the engine at a given rpm, what'll be produced by the turbo and super, and bob's your uncle. The equation escapes me right now but I'll find it.

Traction: I'm looking into what I can do to limit boost in low gears. I don't want this car to be undriveable in first and second gears.

I'm not sure if the E-manage has it but there are certain aftermarket ecu's and software out there that permit a boost by gear option but do require a electronic boost controller and/or Electronic wastegate in order to work. It's been a tuner trick for yearssss.

Engine Cooling System: Gabe assures me that the radiator will be more than big enough to keep the engine cool, but I can't help but worry.

Frankly bud, if you're getting a full aluminum rad I wouldn't worry, it'll have everything and then some. Also I'd recommend going with a dual pusher setup to give you some extra wiggle room in the engine bay. I can't tell but if not I'd ask Gabe about making some shrouds with the custom rad, really goes a long way to improve efficiency of the fans, but again, with a pusher setup, kinda redundant.

Turbo intercooler: I'm not very familiar with water intercoolers, and worry about the water not cooling down enough before going back to the intercooler.

For the most part, heat exchangers or pre coolers, work similarly to a meth system on the principals that there is water in a tank, pumped to the exchanger, then returned. It's pretty decent but tank placement can cause some hiccups. I'd say if you insisted upon it, take a small copper core heater core (earlier honda would be perfect) and install them inline on the system. That way, water gets pumped to an external cooler (the heater core) then to the heat exchanger and back. Yes, a little more complicated but it'll ease your heating worries.

Fuel Pump The walbro 255 may not be sufficient.

No crap? *COUGH* Twin aermootives *COUGH*

Answered what I could.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Didn't realize you were going half rad since the pic was cutoff! I would just check how many cores that halfie has, as long as it's double over the stock one, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Assuming your turbo specs are the same as the ones given in this pic, then this will be the compressor map for the turbo
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:58 am

very nice build! ill be following this for sure, sounds like you and I have the same plans, and ive been talking to gabe about some pretty crazy sh!t too,

clutch wise i am going to go with the ACT Xtreme 4 puck as well. Im sure it will hold up our power.

and as for ditching the TRD blower for an m90 was always an option but like you stated i love seeing the sight of that supercharger snug under the TRD strut bar.

anyways sounds like you know exactly where your going with this. Also sounds like you'll be twin charged before i am, im thinking of bringing the car out with 11lbs on the blower, 1000ml of meth and then start my parts build for the twin charged set up.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:40 am

great writeup! subscribed

*edit: just saw that we won't be getting emails anymore. oh well.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SirThomas88 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, and info guys. It all gave me a lot to think about going into this build, which is critical because I want this done the best way I can. If having a supercharger is too much of an obstruction or problem to run with my turbo, maybe I'll ditch the supercharger and go with a shot of nitrous! I would also install a port/polished intake manifold, and perhaps an over sized throttle body. I'll probably try it out with the TRD blower first and see how it goes.

Looks like it's just about time for a new engine anyways... here's a picture of my oil-air separator I took today. I cleaned this thing out last week. When I changed my oil the other day, there was a very strong odor of gasoline.

SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ASG14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 am

That looks like milk.....blown head gasket.
ASG14
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SirThomas88 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm

ASG14 wrote:That looks like milk.....blown head gasket.

Well, the bottom of my engine and transmission is always dripping in some fluid, my coolant reservoir is empty, and frequently when I come to a stop at a light, white smoke with a sweet odor wafts out from my engine bay... and here I thought someone was stealing my coolant!

:drinking:
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:20 am

white smoke= blown head gasket :(
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Tony's wisedom

Postby SirThomas88 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:51 pm

sliDingSolAra... wrote:white smoke= blown head gasket :(

It is indeed, very, very white smoke. Oh, and my CAI air filter is dripping some sort of oily liquid :D

Back on topic, regarding twincharging a 1MZ, here is an article written by Tony the Tiger back in 2009. He says that the TRD s/c is NOT an obstruction in a twincharged set up, even at boost levels of 26psi, with only 6psi on the supercharger. According to his text, there is NO air restriction due to the TRD supercharger.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/321344-twincharging-3.html

"I managed to run my Camry up to 26 PSI with the supercharger and it actually made slightly more power than without it. As a result, I have gained tons of midrange and achieved a much flatter torque curve (flat torque curve = good) and a torque band that goes higher RPM (I will be posting better graphs once I get more data). My old record was 567 WHP @ 26 PSI, but I've easily matched that power at 24 PSI being twincharged. It eventually made 580 @ 26 PSI with one weak piston, showing a definite power gain despite feeding boost through the SC. The T51R turbo I have on my Camry can flow up to 800 HP with a turbine sized nicely even for a bigger motor, so there was no restriction in my setup at all." - Tony the Tiger
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

^Yup sounds good, i still think having anything over 600+ to the front wheels is crazy lol. If your at 450 i beleive its still nuts but your ok. Either way, when do you plan on sending it over to Gabes?
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby trd4life » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Gregtrd wrote:I would stick with the stock radiator.

Stock radiator wont clear turbocharger and it wont provide enough cooling for this build.
GLP Motorsports is on Facebook
Toyota/Lexus Forced Induction Specialist

We just built a triplecharged Solara! Twin Turbo + S/C= 411whp 482 tq at LOW BOOST
trd4life
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby trd4life » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Im trying to get Josh to let me add a 100shot to this setup :)
GLP Motorsports is on Facebook
Toyota/Lexus Forced Induction Specialist

We just built a triplecharged Solara! Twin Turbo + S/C= 411whp 482 tq at LOW BOOST
trd4life
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Forced Induction