[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Engine won't start, SC install
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Engine won't start, SC install

Engine won't start, SC install

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm

so this weekend i install my supercharger on my car. i ran into a few problems but finished the install.

so when i went to start her for the first time all the car did was turn over 3 or 4 times then a clunk and won't run. the belt is turning and i can smell fuel. not sure if the belt isn't tight enough or maybe too tight. i have the auto tensioner.

i really don't want to keep turning the key and break my engine. any one have a problem like this???

EDIT: when i turn the key this is a loud noise coming from the engine, not the charger or idler plate area. it almost sounds like the engine is seizing
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Engine won't start, SC install

Postby 1gSE » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:29 pm

can you post a video turning it over?
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:49 pm

1gSE wrote:can you post a video turning it over?

i'll have one up in a few minutes
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opnbTEvp2Y&feature=youtu.be

here's the video:

btw the red cables are ground that aren't hooked up to anything yet. you can hear the intake air halfway through the video. that crunch/ seize noise is from the engine/ block area
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Were you having any issues with it starting prior to the s/c install? That sounds weird. Almost like the starter is intermittently getting power
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm

No prior problems. Starter was replaced in July. No problems since then.
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Did the blower pulley turn freely before putting it on?
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Sounds like something is trying to backfire the engine.

You sure you have the rear bank firing order correct? Is the MAF plugged in?
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm

1gSE wrote:Did the blower pulley turn freely before putting it on?

yes it did, turned smoothly. when i turn her over the supercharger and belt turn with no hesitation. i thought it was the belt not being tight enough but its showing no signs of slipping.

and yes AC the MAF is plugged in, firing order should be fine but i did switch some wires to get the lengths correct, pretty positive i have them on right since i took one off at time, i will check again though tomorrow or by wednesday.

in the video you can hear the noise, i think it sounds like something is seized but i went by the TRD install book i have. i can smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust after trying to start. AC you might be right about the misfiring but i still not sure though.

could the vacuum lines be the culprit??? or would it just run ruff but still start? i tried to turn it over again and it ran for 5 seconds but seemed VERY hesitant on staying running.
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ASG14 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Sounds like your backfiring, so weither T Belt slipped, coilpacks went bad, cut the spark plug wires, etc,
ASG14
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby alltrac92 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:15 am

Bostonlara wrote:could the vacuum lines be the culprit??? or would it just run ruff but still start? i tried to turn it over again and it ran for 5 seconds but seemed VERY hesitant on staying running.

How did you hook them up?
alltrac92
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bostonlara » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 am

alltrac92 wrote:
Bostonlara wrote:could the vacuum lines be the culprit??? or would it just run ruff but still start? i tried to turn it over again and it ran for 5 seconds but seemed VERY hesitant on staying running.

How did you hook them up?

went by the TRD/Kazuma install bookelet linked below

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38155031/0060 ... ger-Manual

i also have an dynamic tensioner so i used the supplement for new model supercharger that use the dynamic tensioner. it also had a newer vacuum hose diagram that i used. link for the supplement is below

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38155042/0060 ... supplement

while i tried to trouble shoot the no start i disconnected some vacuum lines to see if it made a difference
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby alltrac92 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 pm

I hooked mine up using the old instructions. Even if your using the newer style belt setup you can hook up the vacuum hoses using the original instructions. I did not use the EBC either as I have a 5-speed.
If the car was running fine before the install you need to go back and double check your work.
Last edited by alltrac92 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
alltrac92
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gregtrd » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Ok i guess i have to fix this via internet, did you hook up the gound that goes to the
S/c. If this ground is not hooked up your solara wont start, let me know. Make sure
Its bolted to the nose drive.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:49 am

Gregtrd wrote:Ok i guess i have to fix this via internet, did you hook up the gound that goes to the
S/c. If this ground is not hooked up your solara wont start, let me know. Make sure
Its bolted to the nose drive.

I attached the ground to the nose and at the back next to the power steering bracket. I don't think I'm getting spark OR when I switched my plug wires to adjust the slack I mixed up the firing order so opposing cylinders are fighting against each other.

Greg does it matter which bolt I attach the ground to the nose? Pretty sure I put it on he bolt shown in instructions
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Forced Induction