[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - My 3MZ supercharged 5speed Swap Thread
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

My 3MZ supercharged 5speed Swap Thread

My 3MZ supercharged 5speed Swap Thread

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:29 am

So a few months I discovered I had ridiculous amounts of oil blow by in my intake. Kept driving and eventually found out that my oil was becoming nice and milky as well as my coolant magically disappearing (all that white smoke out the tail pipe tipped me off). So I put her in garage, gathered parts and begin the teardown.
After pulling the engine and disassembling everything I made a few finds. Two connecting rods bearings spun, a piston cracked and metal shavings litered the oil pan. So I weighed my options and bought a 3MZ after reading Smaay's posting about disabling the vvti and rerouting hoses and what not.

I should probably mention I was running 4lbs of boost and no other engine mods expect for and intake and Apexi Neo with no tune done :roll: .

Other mods I've already had done myself:

- Injen intake
- Custom exhaust from cat-back
- Lower Springs Teins up front, Eibachs rear for even drop
- Tokico shocks front, KYB rear
- TRD rear sway bar on track setting
- TRD short shifter w/ TWM 400gram shift knob
- EBC Red stuff pads all round
- Slotted & drilled rotors
-NRG oil catch can
-Camaro Knock sensors
- probably a few more things I can't think of, my basement is overloaded with parts right now

So the plan at the moment is this

-full 3MZ swap
-TRD Supercharger @ 5.5psi
-Snow Performance methanol injection with MAF boost controller @ 625ml nozzle
-305cc injectors
-NST Light Weight crank pulley
-Redesign my y-pipe (Lou's custom must have been drunk when they fab'd it)
-electronic exhaust cut-out
-Cold air extension
-Jim's Fuel Mod
-walboro 255 fuel pump
-170 degree thermostat
-colder spark plugs
-
-might be more downstairs not sure

3MZ up front with the old battered and beaten 1MZ on the egg crate

another shot of the 3MZ with the new light weight Crank pulley. not sure if its URD or NST. gabe would know since i got it from him

AND here is the absolutely HORRIBLE y-pipe some idiot at Lou's Custom made for me. i told that the car will be S/C and he said ok no problem, $600 later, This. i bet he figured that i would never be under the car to look at it. i saw it about a month later changing my oil and was totally rip crap. didnt bother going back to complain because theres no way they would fix it i bet. so this needs to be fixed before the engine goes in, ill be fab'n one up myself.

he she is patiently waiting to be driven again, so sad

Right now the 3MZ is sitting on the floor being stripped of parts I don't need a ripping of the harness. I'm using the 1MZ harness cus there's no friggin way I'm pulling out the old one.

I'll keep this updated and when it's all said and done get it dyno'd and properly tuned. I have AEM gauges so ill do some street tuning until I can bring it to Boston Dyno.
Last edited by Bostonlara on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: My 3MZ supercharged Swap Thread

Postby Brandoe91 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Looking forward to this build. I have been considering a full 3mz supercharged swap myself; all I need now is the meth kit, a low mileage 3mz and maybe a lsd mr2 turbo tranny.

How much did you get the 3mz for ? Edit: Just saw your other post, that was a decent price.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Brandoe91 wrote:Looking forward to this build. I have been considering a full 3mz supercharged swap myself; all I need now is the meth kit, a low mileage 3mz and maybe a lsd mr2 turbo tranny.

How much did you get the 3mz for ? Edit: Just saw your other post, that was a decent price.

ya it was a good price, 98k and it had a full wiring harness that i took off. and yes a lsd is going to be a must. hope fully i'll have enough moola for one by the late spring. i dont wanna go higher than 5.5psi at the moment. maybe i'll do 6 psi later after i know everything is running smooth. i'm working on pic rights now
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 am

awesome build man, but do some more mods with more meth and jump that puppy to 8 lbs. youll love the 300+ whp
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am

ToyoSolV6 wrote:awesome build man, but do some more mods with more meth and jump that puppy to 8 lbs. youll love the 300+ whp

After I my last engine I'm iffy on going past 6 lol. But I did it the dumb why with 1mz. Only had the Sri, 4psi pulley and no tune. Engine did not last long at all. If I can find a 7psi pulley I may consider it but I have no idea where to get one. I hope the 3mz can take all this power too. I do feel a whole lot better knowing ill be runni g meth right off the bat

I still gotta post pics too. I've been posting from my iPad and can't upload pics to the forum and my Flickr is being a bitch. I'm too lazy to turn on my laptop lol. Mayb tonight
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Bostonlara wrote:
ToyoSolV6 wrote:awesome build man, but do some more mods with more meth and jump that puppy to 8 lbs. youll love the 300+ whp

After I my last engine I'm iffy on going past 6 lol. But I did it the dumb why with 1mz. Only had the Sri, 4psi pulley and no tune. Engine did not last long at all. If I can find a 7psi pulley I may consider it but I have no idea where to get one. I hope the 3mz can take all this power too. I do feel a whole lot better knowing ill be runni g meth right off the bat

I still gotta post pics too. I've been posting from my iPad and can't upload pics to the forum and my Flickr is being a bitch. I'm too lazy to turn on my laptop lol. Mayb tonight

lol, well your are you doing the 3mz block with the 1mz heads? or going full 3mz? but either way the 3mz is a lot more fun and you throw a lot more boost at it with a proper tune, enough fuel and a lot of meth.
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Doing a full 3mz. My head gaskets may of failed OR I warped the block or heads. Gasket did not show any signs of obv failure
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am

Bostonlara wrote:Doing a full 3mz. My head gaskets may of failed OR I warped the block or heads. Gasket did not show any signs of obv failure

yeah doing a full 3mz swap will up your compression to a 10.8:1 i beleive. 1mz Compression is at 10.5:1 so it will be a little higher which means easier to get more power out of, but also you gotta take care of it. Run lots of meth. Honestly as long as you can take care of the block you can go crazy with boost. GregTRD is at 11 lbs right now with over 400 ft lbs of tq.
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Brandoe91 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Are you going to dyno the 3MZ N/A before putting the s/c on?
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Brandoe91 wrote:Are you going to dyno the 3MZ N/A before putting the s/c on?

ya i probably will, ill post the sheet when i do
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: My 3MZ supercharged 5speed Swap Thread

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm

posted pics to the OG post
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gregtrd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Ive been procrastinating on putting on the 3mz heads on my s/c 1mz/3mz, prediction with
my set up and 3mz heads on i should dyno 420whp and 450wtq with a 10.5 psi pulley.
As of right now im at 427 wtq and 366 whp. Btw stock internals.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Smaay » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 pm

awesome build man, keep posting those pics and updating thread. i want to see the progress. do you have a 5 speed? you might have to upgrade your clutch. i dont know what you have in there now. if you do need to upgrade the Southbend im running now is feaking awesome! its a full disk with upgraded pressure plate, the pedal feel is like stock and i also put on a fidanza flywheel.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Nice! Can't wait to see how this turns out
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Bostonlara » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:09 am

Smaay wrote:awesome build man, keep posting those pics and updating thread. i want to see the progress. do you have a 5 speed? you might have to upgrade your clutch. i dont know what you have in there now. if you do need to upgrade the Southbend im running now is feaking awesome! its a full disk with upgraded pressure plate, the pedal feel is like stock and i also put on a fidanza flywheel.

Ya it's a 5spd. I have an exedy clutch. Nothing special but it's in good condition
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Forced Induction