[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Question for the mile high club?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Question for the mile high club?

Question for the mile high club?

Postby civictypeR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm running....

NST crack pulley
Injen Short Ram intake
Underhood Fribracation Cold Air intake
Magnecor 8.5 mm spark plug wires
Ngk Iridium IX spark plugs
OBX racing headers
Greddy Evo II exhaust

In additoin, I just put on a TRD Supercharger with stock pulley and EBC unit. My setup is powered by an auto trans. In addition, after the 50 mile test, the engine light came on. Yesterday, I ran the OBD II scaner on it and it reads P0171 lean on Bank 1.

I'm assuming that would be the knock sensor closest to the radiator. In conclusion, not enough fuel for air ratio I believe. BTW, I'm only running 91 Octane.

My questions are:

If I upgrade with a Walbro fuel pump, Jim fuel mod, injectors and upgrade knock sensor, would it solve the problem of running lean?

Or

Should I just upgrade with a Apexi SAFC unit and tune the car right and solve my problem?

Or

Do both the above?

Or

Should I just abandon ship and sell the car and get a BMW M3 with a S54 motor? lol
civictypeR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Question for the mile high club?

Postby 1gSE » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 pm

civictypeR wrote:
If I upgrade with a Walbro fuel pump, Jim fuel mod, injectors and upgrade knock sensor, would it solve the problem of running lean?

this, plus a wideband and something to tune it with
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Bostonlara » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 am

^that
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PlateLunch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:27 am

Yup, these guys got it right. In my own experience I bought a used SAFC2 which is fine for me boosting at 4.5 with my upgrades now but if I want to start going past 6lbs i will need to go with meth and a better computer, also you can't tune your closed loop with it. I would recommend just putting the splitsecond in if you can afford it, that way when you want to go bigger (you will, trust me) you will be ready. The closed loop tuning is a big plus too. Go with the 255 walboro, some supra injectors, and jim's fuel mod with that and you will be ready to rip.

I love my S/C! Good luck :D
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby civictypeR » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thank you for the feedbacks. I'll let you know how it turns out guys.
civictypeR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraPete » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 pm

When i was at 4psi the only fuel upgrade i had was the Jims fuel mod. Other than having to do the knock sensor rewire, i had no other issues. The advice from 1gSE is certainly the best way to go, especially since im sure you'll want a smaller pulley in the future. If your on a budget id suggest starting with the fuel mod first - that should get you by til you can do the rest.

:cheers:
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby civictypeR » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Btw if anyone wanted to know, on 91 octane, Jim's fuel mod and Walbro 190 fuel pump is a "MUST" to solve the fuel lean problem.

I installed the Supra brown injectors before I got my fuel pump, and I got a flashing check engine light. Thus, it turned out to be misfiring.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but maybe the ppl with supra injectors can shine a light on the subject.

I know that you need a tune after the injectors are installed, but I wouldn't want to drive 2 hrs to get my car tune on a misfiring engine.
civictypeR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:28 am

If it just started misfiring double check your plug wires. I've screwed up the order before after I thought I was set to go. And BTW you can drive those two hours to get a tune. Just do not go into OPEN loop, so that means don't go past whatever throttle position you set on your safc. In light throttle situations your ecu will adjust your fuel trim to the correct values
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:30 am

Email me at jcall1097@gmail.com if you have other questions
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby civictypeR » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:48 pm

thanks for the info
civictypeR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby civictypeR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Btw does anyone know of a good place that does tuning on our type of supercharger in Nor Cal? If I have to I might even consider driving down to So Cal.

I'm now running....

Trd Supercharger with stock pulley
NST crack pulley
Injen Short Ram intake
Underhood Fribracation Cold Air intake
Magnecor 8.5 mm spark plug wires
Ngk Iridium IX spark plugs
OBX racing headers
Greddy Evo II exhaust
Aem Wideband
Urd 190 Walbro fuel pump
Jim's Fuel Mod
Apexi Neo SAFC

I will post up some pics when I get a chance to wash her.
civictypeR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Forced Induction