[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Supercharged Pain
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Supercharged Pain

Supercharged Pain

Postby arch.HI » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:24 pm

Well today I installed new Denso IK22 spark plugs and Magnecor KV85 spark plug wires. What a pain in the ass. Originally I had planned on getting them installed by a shop due to lack of tools as I am attending school on the mainland. After being turned down because I was providing my own parts and because it would require too much labor, I finally got someone to do it. The shop wanted $200 for labor, which I thought was fair as I knew the amount of work required. After some careful deliberation and calculation I decided to undertake the work myself. I figured that I installed the supercharger so I should be able to remove it, but that was when I had a full arsenal at my disposal including compressed air and two extra sets of hands. Well I bought some tools and began work around 11:30am. To make a long story short I wrapped up about fifteen minutes ago around 9:30pm. I did however take a three hour break to watch a basketball game. Some things that gave me the most difficulty were removing the drive belt (much easier to put on then take off) and the rear passenger-side mount just three inches from the firewall. Anyway since I had the belt off I decided to install my 5.5 psi pulley. Well, I broke my strap wrench trying to take the old pulley off, luckily though, it was a Craftsman.

Does anyone know a better way of removing the pulley?
2000 Camry LE V6
TRD Supercharged
arch.HI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby arch.HI » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:25 pm

As you can see the drive belt is still off so any help is appreciated! :)
2000 Camry LE V6
TRD Supercharged
arch.HI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:59 pm

is your dynamic tensioner loose? cant quite tell in there... but i have no probs slipping the belt on and off once the tensioner is off.

as for taking/stabilizing the 4psi pulley, use a craftsmen strap wrench. (i swear by it... it does miracles,)

also helps if you have extra hands.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby arch.HI » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:33 pm

I dunno my tensioner seems kinda tight once the belt is on and has very little play. When the belt is off it has a much much bigger range of motion. I can't get it to move enough to take the belt off. It hits something beneath it.

Hmm... your strap wrench looks much better quality than mine. My Craftsman wrench was plastic and what broke was the strap. I'll have to go back to Sears and see if they have better ones.
2000 Camry LE V6
TRD Supercharged
arch.HI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:38 pm

i dont use the craftsman strap wrench, i use an old school one...

i just noticed your pic... must i say, that is ONE CLEAN ENGINE BAY!!!

another too that can help place the belt is a 90 screw driver. thinner than the human finger and much stronger. serves like a shoe horn, but becareful b/c you can poke through the belt if you angle too much
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby swimshady906 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:44 pm

TRDMole177 wrote:

:o No kidding!
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krook » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:14 pm

if you have a tensioner, can't you just use a 3/8 ratchet to move it so that the tension is not on the belt? that's how i did mines. there's also a small hole in the pulley plate so you can "load" the tensioner, put the belt on, and carefully release it.
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby arch.HI » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:53 pm

swimshady906 wrote:
TRDMole177 wrote:

:o No kidding!

Heh, thanks guys. Although it might just be the pic. Not sure because I've never cleaned it.
2000 Camry LE V6
TRD Supercharged
arch.HI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby arch.HI » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

krooked Solara wrote:if you have a tensioner, can't you just use a 3/8 ratchet to move it so that the tension is not on the belt? that's how i did mines. there's also a small hole in the pulley plate so you can "load" the tensioner, put the belt on, and carefully release it.

Yeah I do use a 3/8 in flex T handle to remove the tension but I can't move it enough to take the belt off. I might have to try that shoe horn technique TRDMole177 uses.
2000 Camry LE V6
TRD Supercharged
arch.HI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:38 pm

how far does your tensioner travel when you loosen it?

if yours is like mine (which should be the same as yours,) it should move about 3-4inches.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby kondo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:14 pm

When I changed my pulley I just used an ajustable open ended wrench to move the tensioner up and then just slip on or off. To remove the pulley I used a puller that has a pointed screw in the middle and three claws on the sides all you do is twist the screw untill it is centered on the bolt that goes through the pully then just twist the puller with a wrench and the old pully should pop right off. I have changed from stock to 6.5 psi to stock to 5.5 and back to stock. Its hardest the first time the last time I did not even need a puller to get the pulley off.
something like this is what I used
you can buy it on ebay for like $5
Nick
99 sle, 03 evo
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Return to Forced Induction