[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - I think we should have a Pulley Install DIY
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

I think we should have a Pulley Install DIY

I think we should have a Pulley Install DIY

Postby esculatus » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:49 pm

Hi Guys, I just went over to my local autoZone and asked to rent a pulley puller. But after the guy looked at my engine bay, he said the pulley puller will not fit... that kinda made me wonder about which pulley to switch?? :oops:
Is the pulley we switch right on the s/c close the the Day-time-running light wiring? or it's down from the serpendine belt?

Will anyone be kind enough to post a DIY in DIY section or here?

Thanks in advance
TRD Solara SLE V6 w/
TRD: supercharger, 3rd Stage Upgrade, sway bars, &TRD boost gauge
esculatus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kondo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:54 pm

dude you change the pulley that is connected to the supercharger. I have changed mine like 5 times. All you do is get a adjustable pulley puller with two hooks on the end .

All you do is take the bolt off that is on the pulley at the end of the SC. First take off the bolt with a socket. Then use a open ended wrench on the tensioner push it toward the wind shield to loosed the tention of the belt on the pulley. Then slip the belt off and then let the tentioner go slowly all the way till it stops. Then to take off the pulley move the diagnosic black thing by uncliping it. Then put the two sides of the puller on the pulley then twist the puller untill it is tight againist the shaft that the pulley is on. Then all you do is turn the puller with a wrench a bunch of times untill the pulley comes off. Then to put the new one on all you do is make sure that the notch lines up, since its a keyed pulley. then you just lighty tap it on with a malat untill you can get the nut on the end of the thread on screw it all the way back on. Then you just push the tentioner back up and slip the belt back on. then put the diagnostic thin back where you took it off from and you are good to go.
99 sle, 03 evo
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby esculatus » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:36 pm

Hi Kondo, thanks for your help! I was able to pull off the belt by moving the belt tensioner. But when I try to untighten the screw at the end of the pulley, the pulley will turn with it... how did you get it off? is that where the pulley puller comes in? or later?

Thanks for your help!

Eric
esculatus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kondo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:05 pm

put the belt back on and then try to turn the nut. If that does not work have someone else hold the belt and then take off the screw and then take the belt back off.
99 sle, 03 evo
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby Mole » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:06 am

get a strap wrench.

use it to immobilize the pulley.

im suprised you didn't know which pulley is to be removed...

but hey, you learn right?
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby JoeB » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:13 pm

You can get the strap wrench that TRDMole mentioned at Sears. That is the best way to get that nut off there. I made the mistake of having a guy use an impact wrench to take it off. Fortunately, it didn't do any damage but later I learned it could have screwed up the sc. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby esculatus » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:06 pm

Thanks guys! I will do it this weekend. I've already ordered IK22 Denso Iridium Plugs (I am currently on IK20). I will try take a few pictures too while doing it so people after me will have some guide as to where to push the belt tensioner and how to get the pulley off etc...

Thanks again!
esculatus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Fletch » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:07 pm

Strap wrench did no good, not enough leverage. The original pulley had never been off and they used loctite on the nut. The only way we could get the nut loose was I pulled on the belt really hard with both hands and my buddy used a fairly long breaker bar on the nut.

Then, I had to borrow both pullers from Auto Zone and combine parts on the two to make a puller that would fit around the stock pulley. It was more of a hassle than it should have been.
2006 Legacy GT spec.B

(Totaled) '99 SE V6, TRD S/C, 5.5 psi Pulley, Jim's Fuel Upgrade, TRD Shortshifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Tokico / Eibach, TRD RSB, 2.5" Custom Y-Pipe, Greddy Cat-Back
Fletch
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krook » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:52 pm

shoulda just remove the whole S/C. that's what i did. once you install it, and remove it, and install it, and remove it, and ....well. you get it.

you get used to the whole thang. it's a lot easier.

i used an impact wrench and a puller as well to swap my pulleys. i just held that pulley like a mu'fucka while my friend impacted it off. there was also locktite on the nut.
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby esculatus » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:10 pm

hi guys,

Thanks for the advices. So I finally got a strap wrench and borrow a 2/3 prawn pulley puller from auto zone and did the swap yesterday. The whole process didn't take that long since the strap wrench was really powerful and the rubber strap it has did not scratch the pulley.

I noticed a significant increase in boost so now I am happy.

One thing thou, I could keep on tightening the pulley all the way until it touches the shiney part of the s/c, but the location of the pulley will not algin. So I made sure that the pulley alligned well with the rest of the serpendine belt system. Is that okay?

Thanks for all the help! I already got the denso iridium IK22 plugs. I will install those next week.

Thanks again.
esculatus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Forced Induction