[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - turning boost on and off
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

turning boost on and off

turning boost on and off

Postby pro956 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:58 pm

a year or so ago i read about someone wiring up a switch to turn boost on and off to their s/c whenever they like (i think it was on camryman.org, but their site was down for a while and they changed forums and so on and so forth)

anyone know how someone would do this? if i remmember correctly it was fairly simple...

thanks
AIM: pro956
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby prowlerartist » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:26 pm

do you mean like the one in the road warrior? That would help gas milage wouldnt it
prowlerartist
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby I4 to V6 Swap » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:40 pm

I would guess that they are using some pulley that can lock and unlock. I have seen these pulley work on buses. They engage, and the pulley is connected to the shaft, but then the shaft can be disengaged, and the pulley still spins. I don't know if they make pulleys that can do this small enough. The ones I saw were like 6-8 inches in diameter.
I4 to V6 Swap
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pro956 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:42 pm

I4 to V6 Swap wrote:I would guess that they are using some pulley that can lock and unlock. I have seen these pulley work on buses. They engage, and the pulley is connected to the shaft, but then the shaft can be disengaged, and the pulley still spins. I don't know if they make pulleys that can do this small enough. The ones I saw were like 6-8 inches in diameter.

i think it was 10 million times easier
like wiring up a switch some some wire, and that's it
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Ragtop George » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:09 pm

I tried to find my old posts on the subject without success. Anyway, if you have the EBC connected as per the instructions, for either manual or auto transmission, it is simple to turn off the supercharger. Wire a switch between the EBC output and ground. When the switch is open, the supercharger works normally. When it is closed, the supercharger is off.

Going from memory, I think that the EBC output is the red/yellow wire, if you are serious about doing this let me know and I will double check.

George
2002 Solara Convertible Automatic
TRD Supercharger, 6 PSI pulley
Apexi WS exhaust, custom Y pipe
TRD RSB on "track" setting
Ragtop George
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pro956 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:22 pm

Ragtop George wrote:I tried to find my old posts on the subject without success. Anyway, if you have the EBC connected as per the instructions, for either manual or auto transmission, it is simple to turn off the supercharger. Wire a switch between the EBC output and ground. When the switch is open, the supercharger works normally. When it is closed, the supercharger is off.

Going from memory, I think that the EBC output is the red/yellow wire, if you are serious about doing this let me know and I will double check.

George

thanks, pm'd you
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby swimshady906 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:27 pm

Which wire is it? I think i might do the same.
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby I4 to V6 Swap » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:13 am

I thought EBC was only for auto in order to protect the tranny. I don't think manuals use them. I could be wrong.
I4 to V6 Swap
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cdssolara » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:50 am

I'm just curious. Why do you want to turn off the boost? You can keep the boost from kicking in simply by laying off the throttle a bit. Unless you just want to shut off the supercharger completely to prolong it's life.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:31 am

I4 to V6 Swap wrote:I thought EBC was only for auto in order to protect the tranny. I don't think manuals use them. I could be wrong.

manuals do use them. they use the ebc for cutting boost at redline.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby pro956 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:24 pm

cdssolara wrote:I'm just curious. Why do you want to turn off the boost? You can keep the boost from kicking in simply by laying off the throttle a bit. Unless you just want to shut off the supercharger completely to prolong it's life.

yeah, you're right, i could lay off the boost
reasons:
-prolong it's life
-get the extra boost when i need/want it :)
-turn it off when my dad hops in the car (with its sound and all)
-and it would be kinda cool-- wouldn't it?
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Forced Induction