[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Ram Air
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Ram Air

Ram Air

Postby Sentinel » Wed May 05, 2004 8:44 am

1st: I hope this is in the right forum.

Q: I see a lot of kits for intakes, mostly the CAI's that really don't help, 'cause they take in hot under-hood air. I've seen the CAI intakes with the extension to get cold air from down there... Does anyone sell a system that would put the intake tube down by the front with a scoop so you could get some kind of Ram Air? I figure that at 70mph there's plenty of air pressure to help stuff air into the engine. I don't really want to install any kind of hood scoop, as I'd have to get it painted etc...

2000 SLEv6: TRD RSB, Tokico & Eibach next week?
Sentinel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Wed May 05, 2004 9:31 am

intakes that are under the hood is not a CAI. it is called a short ram, and yes it does suck in warmer air than preferred.

some short rams have an extension to make it a CAI. i believe the air would be much cooler when extended with the extension.

you would defeat the purpose of RAM air if you route a pipe from under or in front of the car. imho, it would not be called Ram air b/c it has a chance to loose velocity (not much, but some.) technically a lot of CAI/ CAI extensions are done in this route.

you see ram air on V8's, because their engine is designed for air intake to be in the front, and on top, since their manifold is on the top of the engine.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby MaxBoostSolara » Sat May 15, 2004 12:30 pm

well... it might not be a ram air system like the 1s the V8s have but it still forcing air into where u are suckin in air so its a ram air to me... if u want to accomplish what u stated above... u can do it the way i did. i removed the air box or what ever that thing was behind the driver side fog light. i also removed my fog lights. i bought an aluminum pipe ( kinda like the 1s used to ventilate laundry machines) i hope you get the idea of how it looks by now. i also "tried" to put grill mesh to cover up the holes of where the fog lights go. that would act as a shield from large objects that u don't want get stuck in your pipe. i don't have a digital cam so i can't show u how it looks like but i hope that helped some.
MaxBoostSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Astro » Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 pm

MaxBoostSolara wrote:well... it might not be a ram air system like the 1s the V8s have but it still forcing air into where u are suckin in air so its a ram air to me... if u want to accomplish what u stated above... u can do it the way i did. i removed the air box or what ever that thing was behind the driver side fog light. i also removed my fog lights. i bought an aluminum pipe ( kinda like the 1s used to ventilate laundry machines) i hope you get the idea of how it looks by now. i also "tried" to put grill mesh to cover up the holes of where the fog lights go. that would act as a shield from large objects that u don't want get stuck in your pipe. i don't have a digital cam so i can't show u how it looks like but i hope that helped some.

I tried something like that, but I didn't want to remove my fogs (w/black widow kit). I used the flex alum. pipe to the 'slit' under the fog because the other opening is blocked by part of the bumper. I heard that I should try using a funnel shaped tube/pipe. I wonder if that would work any better?
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby SolaraT » Sat May 15, 2004 7:05 pm

Short ram is just that short and quick "filter under the hood" or for v8 short and forcing air from the front of the car. (Almost CAI)
CAI is just that: Cold Air Intake
You can't get "cold" air when the filter is located inside the engine bay were hotter air is located "heat rises" duh.

Extensions take the filter to the lowest possible point were cooler air is located.

Short Ram = fast flow but hotter (less dense) air which does not provide the fuel combustion that provides a more powerful explosion in the combustion chamber.
CAI = not as fast flow but denser cooler air that provides better combustion (bigger explosion) that turns into more HP.

If I'm wrong then please enlighten me because this is what I have learned thus far
:wink:
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby MaxBoostSolara » Sat May 15, 2004 7:06 pm

Astro wrote:I tried something like that, but I didn't want to remove my fogs (w/black widow kit). I used the flex alum. pipe to the 'slit' under the fog because the other opening is blocked by part of the bumper. I heard that I should try using a funnel shaped tube/pipe. I wonder if that would work any better?

hmm... i can see the concept of the spiral but either way the air gets forced so i don't care... i don't really feel like taking it out n buyin new piping... if u try it, let me know how it goes... i doubt it's gonna make too much of a difference but hey... u never know
MaxBoostSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MaxBoostSolara » Sat May 15, 2004 8:34 pm

yo solarat... you are right about what u stated above but what does that have 2 do with the ram air system? where u get cold air from, i do 2... only u get it quicker cuz your CAI sucks in cold air from where it is located... sure my intake sucks in hot engine air at first... but what my ghetto ram air system does is that it forces the cold air to where my short ram is hence sucking in cold air... get it? i still get cold air but u get it sooner. just another cheap n easy method of gettin cold air is the way i see it.. laters
MaxBoostSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraT » Sun May 16, 2004 8:37 am

O I C!

:D

Yeah it had nothing to do with your set-up. It's just not a comon thing to see a coldairshortram. Weapon R has what you did for our cars. They take a tube around the filter and route a hose down to were cold air is located.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby xXsolaraXx » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:49 pm

ya, i tried this also...i have a cold air extension all the way down to a front mount air filter...its not "true ram air" but it fits the purpose and works very well.

moe 8)
xXsolaraXx
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby whiteflash » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:01 am

ok so if i put the mesh down where the fog light should be would i be ok with like rain and everything...
Injen w/CAI Extension
Vogtland Springs
Tokico Struts
Custom Full exhaust
TWM Shortshiftter
8000K HID Kit
whiteflash
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraT » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:05 am

mesh ain't gona stop rain. It's at your own risk. I had no issues with light rain with no fog light.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby whiteflash » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14 am

i jsut took it out i want to get some mesh whats the worst that would happen if it started raining while i was driving
Injen w/CAI Extension
Vogtland Springs
Tokico Struts
Custom Full exhaust
TWM Shortshiftter
8000K HID Kit
whiteflash
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraT » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:44 pm

to be perfectly honest... you would have to litteraly drive trough a flooded street or a heavy rain or lots of water coming at you from the car in front of you for it to do any type of damage. After all the filter is kind of back behind and not litteraly at the mouth of the fog light. If you get mesh then maybe you can get some sort of temporary shield to clip on to the mesh for those rainy days and you can easily take it off when not raining. Just for a peice of mind ya know.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby whiteflash » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:47 pm

k thanks alot ill decide in a couple of days by the way i just ordered my short shifter from trdparts4u.com
Injen w/CAI Extension
Vogtland Springs
Tokico Struts
Custom Full exhaust
TWM Shortshiftter
8000K HID Kit
whiteflash
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Forced Induction