[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Nitrous Oxide upgrades?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Nitrous Oxide upgrades?

Nitrous Oxide upgrades?

Postby dsmman » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:41 am

I recently got my car and I was speaking with some toyota reps and they suggest putting in a small shot of nitrous "in case of emergency." anyone have any experience that? specifically with the durability?
Twilight Blue 01'
6cly, 5spd, supercharged
Eibach 1.6
TRD short throw/strut bars
TRD exhaust
dsmman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:32 am

those toyota reps who said you should install nitrous in case of... are dumb.

you're already s/c'd.

aint that enough damage to the engine as is?
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby dsmman » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:32 am

Didn't toyota's testing of their supercharger show that there wasn't a noticable amount of difference in engine life? Regarding the nitrous the people I spoke w/ are close freinds and very smart. They suggest a small shot wouldn't cause any damage. I was curious as to whether any one here has done it.
Twilight Blue 01'
6cly, 5spd, supercharged
Eibach 1.6
TRD exhaust
dsmman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:43 am

toyota always "says," but over the short years i've been driving a toyota most of them don't know crap.

any little thing you do to the car that tinkers w/ performance will always shorten the life of the engine.

i remember reading those paragraphs saying that the s/c will not do any damage to the car, but how long did they really test it? 3months?
6 months?

i know people who have the s/c applied to their car for 3 years, and that leads to running lean, knocking, and a list of other problems.

w/ some proper mods to the engine the car will perform better, but once you mod the engine more, there's a higher risk something may go wrong.

if you don't believe me just ask around and see what others say.

im not discouraging you from anything, heck im s/c'd myself and enjoy the rewards of what i spent, and spending a lot of care to my car. but that risk of something breaking down is always there.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby WortownSolara » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:24 am

dont worry what bogey says...hes decided to grow up =0p
If it doesn't kill you.....it only makes you faster!
WortownSolara
Audio Guru
Audio Guru

Postby Mole » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:33 pm

WortownSolara wrote:dont worry what bogey says...hes decided to grow up =0p

im just voicing my opinion.

i've tinkered w/ my car a lot and i should know a tad or few things thats bad for the motor.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Rudy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:27 pm

I figured that if toyota would install a low boost supercharger under warrantee they must have done some long term testing to save their own ass...
99 Solara V6 5SPD
Rudy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:05 am

Rudy wrote:I figured that if toyota would install a low boost supercharger under warrantee they must have done some long term testing to save their own butt...

its a possibility, but all their tests talked about was having the car run for 100hrs? if they did long term research gen 1 folks still wouldn't have the s/c.

however i may be missing some details. but according to all the mag articles, internet news that's all i read about toyota researching and devloping for the s/c.

We all went Off-topic.
Comming back to on-topic, i would only use nitrous on the intake pipe as a method to cool down the intake air, not inject for a dry setup.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby PASolara » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:58 am

I think with stock boost you could run a 35 of dry not wet that would help alot with the heat form the roots blower
CAI, 3"Custom exhaust ,Ground Kit, Trd quick shifter,P&P 3 heads and intake, .flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, LSD,RSB.ES control arm busings,spring+struts
PASolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dsmman » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:43 pm

I think when considering other peoples experiences regarding engine life and superchargers you should take into account that people with boost may have a tendency to beat the car a bit harder than those without.

Although your logic of adding any type of boost will never be as good to an engine as not having it at all.

Regarding the nitrous I will research it more. Obviously when I decided to buy a entry level luxury car I knew would be sacrifing performance.
Twilight Blue 01'
6cly, 5spd, supercharged
Eibach 1.6
TRD exhaust
dsmman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby WortownSolara » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:49 am

hey bogey, i was kidding man, u know these cars a thousand times better than I. It was just the "its time to grow up" thing i dont understand, i mean this isnt just a kids thing man. Think about all those guys that go to car shows with thier 70's camaros and stangs. Its the same for us, we are just doing it with todays cars.
If it doesn't kill you.....it only makes you faster!
WortownSolara
Audio Guru
Audio Guru

Return to Forced Induction