[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - supercharger problems
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

supercharger problems

supercharger problems

Postby grnsolara » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:52 am

Hi Everybody...I'm new to this, but I have a v6 solara auto. I had my ECU reprogrammed by JET about 2 months ago, then recently had a supercharger put on. Here comes the conflict and LONG story:

When I got the car back, the idle in park sucks air inconsistently through the INJEN open air intake. The charger is kinda lackin' boost also as if the air/fuel ratio is too lean. After contacting all parties, here's what I've come up with:

1. JET says it's not them because the ECU reprogramming only kicks in if there is a load (above 1500 rpm's according to the tech). He said it could be the stock fuel pressure regulator and suggests buying an adjustable one.

2. The Toyota dealership who installed it says it's the JET chip's fault (regardless of what I tell them JET said) and recommends going back to a stock ECU.

3. TRD says it's the JET reprogram and also, while I'm at it, I need to put my stock airbox in b/c the INJEN intake could be causing voltage fluxuation misrepresentations to the MAF sensor.

4. Another Toyota dealership (not the ones who installed it) say the ECU just needs to adjust. They say to drive it this weekend and see if it helps.

Also...the only way I really can get the s/c to even work a little bit is if I remove the wastegate hose and plug it (Toyota that installed it created this idea).

Honestly, I had more power before I installed the s/c with just my JET chip and exhaust and intake. Does anyone know what I should do, or even who I should believe???

Thanks everybody, and I've read all of your topics in the forums. It seems like Greg is the one running the JET chip/charger/intake combo, and I'm wondering how and what am I doing wrong???

grnsolara
grnsolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

adding on a little bit

Postby grnsolara » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:55 am

One more thing...when the car is in idle and I turn the AC on...it sucks air normal??? This baffles even TRD.

Thanks again,
grnsolara
grnsolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Masshole » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:35 pm

Ok well I'm no expert but from what I read it sounds like you had your computer reprogrammed without the supercharger?? and then just slapped a supercharger on there??

If that's correct then I would definitely say that the reprogram is what's causing you the problem. If they played with teh timeing and a/f curves which is what reprogrammers usually do then they did it to optimize a n/a car which is totally different than blown.

Did these JET people say that their chip would work with a supercharger?? Typically you advance the timing for more power on an N/A car but if you have a blower then you need to retard it. I would guess the stock computer can probably compensate and adjust the timing and fuel delivery to keep up with the supercharger but who knows what your computer is doing now... the rough idle and lack of power definitely sounds like timing to me.

just my 2 cents.
99 Solara SE w/ tokicos and eibachs - fun around corners
86 Mustang GT (lots of goodies) - fun in straight lines(SOLD)
Masshole
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SC V6 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:40 pm

I would go back to stock before the reprogramed ECU ends up hurting ur motor... that or send it back to them and tell them that you now have S\C running this much boost.. and get them a dyno so they can re-program/adjust things
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby grnsolara » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:20 pm

I took the solara to a different Toyota dealership (other than the ones who installed it). It seems like the problem is a fouled injector? :cry:

The new dealership said it was probably b/c the dealership who installed it did not take proper precautions and allowed contaminants to enter the fuel line during installation. There are actually possibly 2 fouled injectors. It is gonna cost about $400 just in labor for them to get to the injector b/c they have to remove the charger.

Thanks for all the input. This is gonna suck...
I read forums more than I talk. /shame
grnsolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:24 pm

we've had takes and talks about jet chips.

we've decided that they were bull. imho see ifyou can get the ecu the way it was when you bought the car. Stock.

to my knowledge, what jet claims to say is have all the mods then get the ecu modded.

in your case, it seems like they actually did something and it was set for your settings with out the s/c.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Fletch » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:53 am

From everything I've read and heard, Toyotas are not receptive to having there ECU's messed with. Air/fuel piggy backs seem to work for 1mz's and I'm guessing most people probably do stand alone a/f systems for 2jz-gte's.
2006 Legacy GT spec.B

(Totaled) '99 SE V6, TRD S/C, 5.5 psi Pulley, Jim's Fuel Upgrade, TRD Shortshifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Tokico / Eibach, TRD RSB, 2.5" Custom Y-Pipe, Greddy Cat-Back
Fletch
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby grnsolara » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:21 pm

So if I go ahead and uprgrade the injectors and get a stand alone like Split Second, do I just have my ECU programmed back to stock or will I be able to override the JET chip with the Split Second?
I read forums more than I talk. /shame
grnsolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Hsakuragi » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:33 pm

just put back your ECU to stock should slove the problem
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Forced Induction