[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Solara Tech FAQ
This forum has frequently asked questions and stickies from all the Solara forums. Look here first to see if your question is answered or if the information you are looking for has already been posted.

Solara Tech FAQ

Solara Tech FAQ

Postby ultramookie » Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:26 pm

Welcome to the SolaraGuy Toyota Camry Solara Tech FAQ

The purpose of this FAQ is to answer some questions that have cropped up a few times in the SolaraGuy forums. If you have a question that you think should be added here, please private message Missay, FlipSide909, Yanks0114, Gunman or myself (ultramookie).

I've heard my car called a Camry Solara, is it really a Camry?

Yes your car is a Toyota Camry Solara. The Solara and the Camry share many of the same parts and the interior styling cues and are extremely similar. They are based on the same chasis, they share the same engine, and are both beautiful cars.

What's the 1-800 number to Molly Designs?

1-800-824-4505

What spark plugs should I use in my Car?

If you have a stock engine stick to the OEM replacement platinum tipped plugs.

If your engine is modified, but you don't have a supercharger, then use the Denso Iridium IK20 spark plugs.

If you have a supercharger use the Denso Iridium IK22 Spark plugs. They spark cooler and more efficiently.

Whats the smallest pulley I can use on my supercharger and still be safe?

First off,a warning, any changing of the pulley will void your supercharger warranty and no one has done as much testing as TRD which is why the 4psi is recommended. If you do want to upgrade it is recommended that you go no higher than 5.5-6PSI. Of course people are running higher, but with stock internals 5.5PSI (2.9") is reguarded as safe.

Why can't I run more than 6lbs of boost?

Of course you can run more than 6lbs of boost, but its not recommended. The 1MZ-FE engine has a very high compression ratio (10.5-1). The addition of 5.5Lbs boost puts the internal pressure of the engine at roughly 14PSI. Normal atmoshperic pressure is 14.7PSI at sea level. If there was more pressure inside the engine than outside, excess stress would be put on the entire engine, especially the seals. If you are going to run high boost (>4PSI) it is highly reccomended that you get a S-AFC and have your car dyno-tuned

What is an S-AFC?

An S-AFC is a piggyback computer made by Apexi. It modifies air-flow meter signal (pressure signal in some vehicles) to optimize fuel-air ratio. If your engine has been highly modified (Supercharger with upgraded pulley) it is highly reccomended that you use a S-AFC. This enables you to get your car dynotuned and have the Air-to-Fuel ratio adjusted accordingly. All ECUs are tuned for the stock engine and any modifications, especially to the airflow can lead to running lean or rich, this solves these problems. Here is a detailed installation guide

What Headlight bulb does the solara use?

The 1999-2001 Solara uses a dual filament H4 (9003) bulb for high and low beams. The fogs are 9006
The 2002-2003 Solara uses 9006 for low beams and 9005 for high beams

Whats VTEC Stand for?

VTEC (Valve Timing Electronic Control I believe) is like a digital signal. On and off. It kicks in at a high rpm by opening up the cams more. It has a ridiculous gain but damages the overall performance (torque). EX: S2000. 10k redline I think, but daily driving needs around 4-5k rpm. The engine only lasts around 100,000 miles... hahaha GG super high compression.

VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing w/ Intelligence) is a continuous system that is ALWAYS changing the ports to produce the best torque / power curve possible but has the least max gain. It just has the greatest overall gain. Due to the gains, you can drive at lower RPMs while getting enough power to move yo' arse around and save gas and also extending engine life.

i-VTEC (VTEC + Intelligence) changes the whole thing by adding a step system between "kick ins". Instead of it only kicking in at 6K RPM, it will kick in once at 4000 and once at 6000 producing a double VTEC like feeling.

VVTL-i (VVT w/ Lift and Intelligence) has the same effects as VVT-i BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT the L stands for LIFT. The lift happens at high RPMs also to produce the VTEC like gain for horsepower. This will be the greatest racing technology due to the low end power gain and the high end horsepower gain. I think this is only found in the Celica GTS, Matrix XRS, and the upcoming Corolla XRS. It's the technology for sportier cars while VVT-i will probably remain the standard w/ "normal" sedans and such.

What do the various engine codes mean?

First number is generation of the engine series.
The next two letters are the engine block series
The latter after the dash is the type of head (F=economy or G=performance)
E = Electronic Fuel Injection

There are 3 generations of the MZ series block. 1MZ - 3.0L, 2MZ 2.5L, 3MZ 3.3L.

If you want more info, it's listed on Toysport.com about the designation of the F and G series heads

Also another link is http://dreamwater.org/eclipsedevo/enginecodes.html
Last edited by ultramookie on Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ultramookie
the guy pulling all the levers
the guy pulling all the levers

Return to Toyota Solara FAQs And Stickies