[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - RSB Info
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

RSB Info

RSB Info

Postby laidback0378 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm

I've been reading up on everyone's take on modding their Gen 2 Solara and I think after all I have read that getting a rear sway bar is the best place to start.

So I just have a couple quick questions before I install one. I've never owned a car with a RSB and am curious if traction is an issue...I have read that the downside to a RSB is less traction coming out of a turn. Now I understand of course the Solara is FWD, but I wanted to see if its any sort of issue.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we do see alot of winter weather. Would a RSB make handling more of a problem during snow weather driving due to less traction on the rear wheels? All responses are greatly appreciated!
laidback0378
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:45 pm

The RSB will stiffen up the body roll. When people say less traction, that's not really what it means. By stiffening body roll, you are putting more sideways stress on the tires. If you have crummy tires, they will break loose quicker. However, even on the stifest setting, it still want cause you to go from understeer to oversteer. The Toyota RSB is also adjustable, so you can losten it up for the winter to give your car a bit more roll fot when the roads are icy. On the other hand, i ran my RSB on the stiffest setting all winter (and MA winters are brutal) with a set of snow tires and didn't have any traction problems at all.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby laidback0378 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the response. Speaking of settings on the RSB, you say you have it set to the stiffest setting. In an otherwise stock Solara, is there any particular setting you would recommend? I am probably also going to put TRD springs on the car to lower it, but will be sticking with the stock wheels till next spring. When I bought the Solara it came with 2 brand new snow tires up front and 2 brand new all season tires in the back.

To get back to the RSB, it makes the most sense to go with the stiffest setting right? ie to get the most for your money?
laidback0378
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Taido » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:29 am

Inner-most setting FTW. :)
'06 Black Cherry Pearl tC inherited the headunit and subs so far...
'04 2AZ-FE Lunar Mist Metallic Solara SE (Totaled)
Taido
Audiophiliac
Audiophiliac

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:07 pm

I have mine on the mid-setting. The change from stock alone is enough to let me appreciate the RSB. It hugs the road as you turn, w/o having everyone in the car leaning like a cholo.

I've yet to try to inner most.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby D-money » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 pm

use the stiffest setting otherwise it is useless and on my stock suspention setup the stiffest setting is awesome and the ride is still smooth
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby laidback0378 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:17 pm

/grin. Thanks D-money. Can't wait till it shows up.
laidback0378
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 pm

If anything a sway bar will actually increase your traction. This is because when cornering your outer rear shock/spring is the one hauling most of your cars weight. This compresses that shock/spring causing your car to lean. A rear sway bar couples both your rear right and rear left suspension and will increase your spring rate only arround corners. Being that you will have this increased spring rate when cornering it will better insure that both rear tires are on the ground. You may notice slightly stiffer suspension on regular bump due to the fact that your rear suspension is less independent. Most likely you will not notice this slight difference.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:34 pm

ohh and the reason is increases spring rate is because in order to compress the outer spring under cornering it also has to compress the inside spring being that they are coupled.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:49 pm

And HERE is where you can get one CHEAP!! :up:

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?p=537109#537109
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby laidback0378 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:48 am

ya i sent you a pm already. :)
laidback0378
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am

laidback0378 wrote:ya i sent you a pm already. :)

PM'd you back a couple times dood... where did you go? :think:
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby laidback0378 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 pm

sorry PXL, I moved, and had alot of trouble getting a stable internet connection. Ultimately, I had to move again :X

Perfectly understandable that you already sold it, I figured as much after not being able to even get online for 3 weeks.

Ah well, its a good excuse to go down to the local toyota dealership and figure out how competent they are.
laidback0378
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5