[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replacing Speakers only with JBL
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Replacing Speakers only with JBL

Replacing Speakers only with JBL

Postby Dracon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:34 am

Hey guys, first post here...

I have a '04 SE Sport with the JBL system and am thinking about changing the stereo. It sounds a little muddy to me - I have the bass at 0 or -1 and everything still has to much bass and nothing sounds clear... I really like the look of the dash, so I'm going to keep the JBL headunit, but I'm thinking of changing out the speakers to some Infinity Kappa 693.5I all the way around. Or possabily have the Kappa 693.5I's in the read deck and put some Kappa 63.5I's in the doors. My question is if the factory jbl headunit will power these okay until I get an amp, or what they'd sound like if I didn't put an amp to them.

I do like bass, I just also like to have my highs clear and crisp. anyone have any opinions on these 6x9's all around or if I should have 6c9's in back and 6 1/2 in the doors? or what they'd sound like without an amp?

Thanks,
Nathaniel
Dracon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jewls » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:42 am

This problem has come up a few times, so far only a few people have replaced the head unit, which they had to have custom, because no kits are available yet, but I don't think anyone has replaced the speakers yet.
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:43 am

http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=9584

Here is my previous thread on the same topic. :wink:
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby retarded » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am

Nice choice w/ the speakers. I already hve the rear deck speakers w/ some infiniti kappas 693.5 i, now it sounds great. Although, there is more rattling than ever before i attached some double sided tape to the edge of the deck. My next plan is to put some dynomat extreme in the trunk. For the front, the depth is a huge problem if you want to put the same speakers, even maybe with the 63.5. When we installed the speakers the cone stopped the window from going half way through. Anyone successful with changing the front speakers with any good speaker brands? Oh yeah, and does anyone know the size of the tweeters?
retarded
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby retarded » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:26 am

Nice choice w/ the speakers. I already hve the rear deck speakers w/ some infiniti kappas 693.5 i, now it sounds great. Although, there is more rattling than ever before i attached some double sided tape to the edge of the deck. My next plan is to put some dynomat extreme in the trunk. For the front, the depth is a huge problem if you want to put the same speakers, even maybe with the 63.5. When we installed the speakers the cone stopped the window from going half way through. Anyone successful with changing the front speakers with any good speaker brands? Oh yeah, and does anyone know the size of the tweeters?
retarded
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dracon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:42 am

retarded wrote:Nice choice w/ the speakers. I already hve the rear deck speakers w/ some infiniti kappas 693.5 i, now it sounds great. Although, there is more rattling than ever before i attached some double sided tape to the edge of the deck. My next plan is to put some dynomat extreme in the trunk. For the front, the depth is a huge problem if you want to put the same speakers, even maybe with the 63.5. When we installed the speakers the cone stopped the window from going half way through. Anyone successful with changing the front speakers with any good speaker brands? Oh yeah, and does anyone know the size of the tweeters?

thanks retarded! hey, can you tell me if there are tweeters in the door also? oh, and did you try to install the 693.5's in the doors? or were they other speakers?

Thanks!
Dracon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby retarded » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:28 pm

yeh i did try to put the 693.5is in front. They fit, but the depth of the cone blocks the window, so i'd suggest some other brands.
retarded
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby gogeta » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:03 am

you can put realy nice 6x9s in the door no matter the size of the magnet....i have mb quartz up front and had to make a 3/4 inch trim ring so the wouldn't block the window.....
arctic frost pearl/gray 04 se
trd exhaust/air filter
mb quart 2 way 6x9s front
eclipse 4-way 6x9s rear
kicker kx 600.1/kicker l7 dual 2ohm
alpine head unit itching to be put in...
gogeta
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby retarded » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:26 am

well you made a ring so that the speakers could fit in the door without moving right? Even if iI did that w/ the 6x9 infiniti kappas the magnet would still hit the window. What kind of mb quarts speakers did you get?
retarded
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mtodde » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:33 pm

Crutchfield still hasn't databased anything for the Gen 2 speakers. The Kappa mounting depth for top mount is 3 1/4" and if that causes issues that tells me that many high end speakers will give the same issue with the windows.

I was hoping to go to the JBL Power Series 6x9, but it is the same depth as the Kappa. Some of the Polks are 3 1/8 or 3 3/16 so maybe they would fit better.

If anyone knows please let the rest of us know!

Thanks
2004 Solara V6 SLE
Lunar Mist Metallic
2 time Solara owner (1999 SE V6 MT)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/648891
mtodde
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gogeta » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:54 pm

the mb quart dke169 2-way....with a little work u can make ne thing fit ne where....well just about....and actually most of the time it's alot of work...
arctic frost pearl/gray 04 se
trd exhaust/air filter
mb quart 2 way 6x9s front
eclipse 4-way 6x9s rear
kicker kx 600.1/kicker l7 dual 2ohm
alpine head unit itching to be put in...
gogeta
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby retarded » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:43 pm

gogeta, what type of mbquarts speakers did you get. I wanna go check out the size of your magnet.
retarded
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby retarded » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:43 pm

gogeta, what type of mbquarts speakers did you get. I wanna go check out the size of your magnet.
retarded
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5