[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Best brand of HID
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Best brand of HID

Best brand of HID

Postby silversurfer220 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:03 pm

I'm looking to put HID in my 04 solara. I currently have CATZ brand HID in my 2003 Grand Am, and I have never had a problem with it. I have searched through a ton of the HID threads and still dont really know what is going to be my best all around brand. I know that you get what you pay for, so I would rather buy quality to start with. I also know that you cant legally buy HID in the states anymore, thats why I can't get CATZ. All I'm really looking for is the low beam, as I know that HID puts out a lot of light. I can get colored bulbs for the fog lamps so that they at least look close to the same. Any info on good brands or ones to stay away from would be great! Thanks-
silversurfer220
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ndoyank » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:13 pm

You should really look into retrofitting your headlights. Our halogen projectors were not meant to handle HID bulbs. I had my lights retrofitted with a4 valeo projectors and philips ds2 bulbs. If you go with a HID kit the beam pattern will not look correct and will give off alot of glare.

For more information go to

www.hidforum.com

you can find alot of useful info here.

retrofits are really pricey, but its definitely worth it.
18' volks, TRD RSB, TRD FSTB, TRD springs, HID retrofit. Micheal T's Grille ..... Silver ICE
ndoyank
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Whatever » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:02 pm

Hella or phillips
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby silversurfer220 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:22 pm

ndoyank wrote:You should really look into retrofitting your headlights. Our halogen projectors were not meant to handle HID bulbs. I had my lights retrofitted with a4 valeo projectors and philips ds2 bulbs. If you go with a HID kit the beam pattern will not look correct and will give off alot of glare.

For more information go to

www.hidforum.com

you can find alot of useful info here.

retrofits are really pricey, but its definitely worth it.

Thats what Ive been told too. I have a friend who found a CATZ set online and just threw it in and doesnt have too much glare. I looked into the retrofit, and that would be upwards of a grand and a half, which is way more than I have to put in it as of now. I have the CATZ in my Grand Am, and there is hardly any glare. I have never been flashed, and one of my buddies who is a cop looked at it and said there was no problem with it. I know the projectors are different, but I might try it and see what happens.

Where is a good place to purchase the HID kits?
silversurfer220
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Hellos is he best HID

Postby jiii » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:57 am

Hellos from Germany is the best brand

This is high beam 9005 hellos 12K HID.

When i turn it on...it is so so so bright...people look at it and ask themselve..."what the f**k ..." :)

I still have an extra one, if anyone of you interested in, email me.

jiii
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby alan8888 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:33 pm

I can tell u the best brand of HID is
CATZ......and is banned now u can try to buy it directly from japan is about us 800
alan8888
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby silversurfer220 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:45 pm

alan8888 wrote:I can tell u the best brand of HID is
CATZ......and is banned now u can try to buy it directly from japan is about us 800

I have CATZ in my 2003 Grand Am and its great! I have never had a problem with it at all. If I could get CATZ fairly easily, I would do it in a second! I wonder if its availiable through Canada?
silversurfer220
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

When u get hid

Postby JayDubz » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:30 pm

Yeah retro fit is best thing to do... Its worth the crisp cut off line and you get a nicer more authentic hid setup... But if you are going with hid you should never go above a 8000k kit.. anything over that gives out weak lighting on the road... for best ligth get a 4300 or 5300k kit.. those are best for lighting, and in a retro housing they will give you that stock MBenz or BMer look.. and again not to mention a cut off line that will make you weak in the knee's...

www.hidplanet.com is a great site to get all your info...
you can even find someone to retro fit your head lights for you...
2000 Galant... Mods in progress!!Image
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/
JayDubz
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby krawzyazn » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:43 pm

*PoshPizzie* wrote:I have 5300k McCullochs, and they have a nice cut off line without retrofitting...

I have not been flashed...
heard you got a good deal on those :lol:
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby jiii » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:11 pm

well, 4300k, 6000k, 8000k...12000k....the more temperature the light emits, the brighter and longer range the light beam has. I usually drive at night...so i am very happy with the HID upgrade, because i can see the road more clearly. There are so many brands out there but the best one definitely Hellos, then Phillips and Xenon.You can see the difference with these halogen super white bulbs.
jiii
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mikei » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:51 pm

Hid Conversion Kit 4300k or 6000k

The Lexus GX is not available with HID and they have projectors like us and a lot of them are installing Xenondepot 6000k Conversion kits. The
Lexus boys like the blue from the 6000k and do not seem to care about
a 20% decline in light output over the more oem 4300k. They like the blue
and the fact that Xenondepots kit is plug and play with no wire cutting on their expensive Lexus's. Their forums say that Xenondepots kits are the only ones available in H-11 (low beam) that is plug and play and easy to
install. Taking from 1-1.5 hours to complete. They also do not seem to be
too concerned about light spread or anything else. From their discussions in their forums they seem very happy with the conversion and are loving
the increased lighting that the HID provides at night.

XenonDepot HID Conversion Kit : 4300k XenonDepot HID Conversion Kit

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=5

H11 4300k XenonDepot HID Conversion Kit
(XD-4k-H11)

Price: $549.99
Sale Price: $399.99

The XenonDepot HID Conversion kit will use genuine Philips bulbs and ballasts. Custom moulded bases will be used to ensure proper fitment and beam patterns. This product will include a complete wiring harness that will literally plug directly into your OEM headlight harness via proper mating connectors. The harness provided will include upgraded fuses and relays to ensure you do not draw a higher current from your stock harness than it was designed to provide.

This kit will include the following:

2 x Non-conductive ballast enclosures
2 x Philips Capsules
2 x Philips Ballasts
Complete wiring harness
Complete instruction manual.

H11 6000k XenonDepot HID Conversion Kit

Price:$669.99
Sale Price:$519.99

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=14

The XenonDepot HID Conversion kit will use genuine Philips Ultinon bulbs and ballasts. While these bulbs will offer approx. 20% less light than the 4300k bulbs they will provide a more bluish/purpulish output.

Custom moulded bases will be used to ensure proper fitment and beam patterns. This product will include a complete wiring harness that will literally plug directly into your OEM headlight harness via proper mating connectors. The harness provided will include upgraded fuses and relays to ensure you do not draw a higher current from your stock harness than it was designed to provide.

This kit will include the following:

2 x Non-conductive ballast enclosures
2 x Philips Ultinon 6000k Capsules
2 x Philips Ballasts
Complete wiring harness
Complete instruction manual.

Here is a link to Club Lexus and you can read for yourselves what the Lexus boys are saying about their XenonDepot Hid Conversion Kits.
Hay if you mention Club Lexus or Toyota Nation when you order you may even get a discount although I see the 4300k and 6000k kits are already marked down to club price.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114059

Hid Conversions are for Show purposes only and not legal for street use.
Use this information at your own risk.

BOYS AND THEIR TOYS WILL IT EVER END ?
2005 Solara SLE V6 Convertible-Silver
VSC/TRAC/NAV/XM Sat/Mudflaps/Clear license plate covers/Bug deflector/Glass breakage sensor/SS Door Sills/Eclipse backup camera
Japan voice-mic/Everything TRD
mikei
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby alan8888 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:25 am

go and get the s2000 projector....
alan8888
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby silversurfer220 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:52 am

Are you guys HID'ing the low and high beams? That would be hella expensive if you did the high beams too, and how would that work with the DRL's- I know in my Grand Am, that I had to disable the DRL's in order to make the HID system work properly. I do appreciate all of the info. I will probably HID the low beams, and put xenon bulbs in the fog lamps, even though I never use them. The high beams can stay as the are, or get xenon bulbs.
silversurfer220
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5