[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ***Gen 2 V6 - JPP Headers & Y Pipe - HISTORY & INFO
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

***Gen 2 V6 - JPP Headers & Y Pipe - HISTORY & INFO

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:25 am

You wouldn't believe how incredibly RICH the CP-e is now making the mixture with the headers/Y-pipe on it now! It's wayyyy over-compensating for something now. It wasn't programmed for anything but a stock exhaust.

It's now so rich that I've noticed about a 4mpg LOSS since the install running my same routes/driving habits. I can't leave the engine running for more than a minute in the garage or you can't breathe.

Split Second did a quick diag. on it and it's staying rich even under load (full-throttle) so it's not just at idle. Part of the reason it's bogging down between shifts too.
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:24 am

So what you're gonna do ? Will you remove the CP-e ?? What is your options ?? It seems that the engine protect itself being that much rich...
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:22 pm

^^ Sebas - I'm going to disconnect the MAFci unit today and see how that works. If you're saying it's too lean and the MAFci is making it way too rich now, perhaps it will balance out just right with it! :up:

The Headers/Y-pipe were designed without consideration of a MAFci unit to start with. Since there is less restriction out the back, then the bigass SRI might just be the balance just fine. I would still want custom tuning though, because it needs to be optimum - not just "okay". Also, maybe they can help with the shifting a bit too (I haven't discussed this with them yet).

I'll let you know how my results are after the disconnect this afternoon.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:25 pm

Okay... that was a BAD idea!! :o

I removed the MAFci unit and put a jumper back in for the red power wire and the damn thing hardly ran at all! It was all I could do to get it around the block and back home again!

Plugged everything back in and it's running fine again. I couldn't figure out the MAFci software either so I'm leaving that alone for now. Guess I'll just leave it alone until I can get the $$ together for Split Second to do the tune right! ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Sebas007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:28 am

PXLpainter wrote:Okay... that was a BAD idea!! :o

I removed the MAFci unit and put a jumper back in for the red power wire and the damn thing hardly ran at all! It was all I could do to get it around the block and back home again!

Plugged everything back in and it's running fine again. I couldn't figure out the MAFci software either so I'm leaving that alone for now. Guess I'll just leave it alone until I can get the $$ together for Split Second to do the tune right! ;)

Like I said...weird as it can be...running just the CP-e SRI doesn't work.

For the CP-e tuning...it's all about fuel

higher values more fuel
lower values less fuel

In fact, it takes the MAF signal upon the setup it will increase or decrease the voltage signal to match an other.

Example : The MAF suppossed to receive a value of 4 volts but instead CP-e is setup to -4.5%
-4.5% of 4 = -0.16

4 + -0.16 = 3.84 volts

So the stock AFR at 3.84 volts is leaner than at 4 volts.

It is how it is working.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:27 am

Sebas007 wrote:
PXLpainter wrote:Okay... that was a BAD idea!! :o

Like I said...weird as it can be...running just the CP-e SRI doesn't work.

For the CP-e tuning...it's all about fuel

higher values more fuel
lower values less fuel

In fact, it takes the MAF signal upon the setup it will increase or decrease the voltage signal to match an other.

Example : The MAF suppossed to receive a value of 4 volts but instead CP-e is setup to -4.5%
-4.5% of 4 = -0.16

4 + -0.16 = 3.84 volts

So the stock AFR at 3.84 volts is leaner than at 4 volts.

It is how it is working.

That sounds like just putting in a resistor inline with it. If it's allways taking away 4.5% from there, then an inline resistor will do the same thing.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:48 pm

[SMAN] wrote:That sounds like just putting in a resistor inline with it. If it's allways taking away 4.5% from there, then an inline resistor will do the same thing.

My explanation was maybe not complete...you can have hundreds of different values...but my example was for 1 specific throttle position (volts) and engine RPM. Nothing 1 resistor can do but I understand your point...
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Holy crap! Sorry I missed that Jeff, I could have told you that's a really bad move. It's a 67% boost in volume with the 3.5" pipe. Removing the MAFci means that the ECU is seeing 3/5 of the real flow and barely putting in the gas. You need tiny tweaks with the cp-e tuning of the chip.
You can figure out the software and experiment.
You could buy a piggyback AFC to put in line with the MAFci
or... and I like this best... you can send me a set of the headers, I'll roadtrip to MD and have Josh intall the headers and tune a chip for that setup. Then I can share that map with the tunables, and the non-tunables can swap chips with cp-e for a deposit and a small fee.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Biggi_e » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:15 am

jeff, if you come to MD, you can crash at my place. only 30 mins from cp-e. sebas crashed at my place last time he came from quebec.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:36 am

If he does so...can you take some more clip from outside the car and fly by...

Jeff, how goes the money raising JPP Foundation ?
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Biggi_e » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:45 am

Sebas007 wrote:If he does so...can you take some more clip from outside the car and fly by...

Jeff, how goes the money raising JPP Foundation ?

thas fine with me. :D
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:04 am

By the way Eddie...it would be Mike that would crash at your home ! ;)

Mike thanks for the explanation of the problem that occurs when removing the MAFci. Quite simple...don't know why I didn't think about it before ! I'm sure we could keep our CP-e MAFci if we could tune it correctly right w/ the JPP setup.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:19 am

np... I believe CP-e put that in big red letters in the manual. Mainly because running in that setup can burn up your engine. (sizzle)

So Jeff, when can I expect a shipment? 8)
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Biggi_e » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:31 am

oh woops...i thought it was jeff that replied lol! mike your welcome to crash here if you want too :D
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Down2TheC wrote:np... I believe CP-e put that in big red letters in the manual. Mainly because running in that setup can burn up your engine. (sizzle)

So Jeff, when can I expect a shipment? 8)

Yep...that explained why I was running so lean on idle without the MAFci at the dyno shop. I told the guy about it...they turn off the engine right away...
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5