[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Winter tires?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Winter tires?

Winter tires?

Postby GzNutz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:20 am

Just swapped the lightnings for the good 'ol winter trashing 17" stockies yesterday. As luck would have it Milwaukee finally got a snow fall to stick and I realized my current tires suck.

Can anyone recommend a good set of winter tires? I'm not really looking for all season because I swap wheels in the spring and at the end of fall. Thanks!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:16 am

For all my cars and my parents cars, we have allways been rolling on Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter. I currently have a set of the 17" WS-50 tires on my solara and it handles the New England winter just fine. They don't make the WS-50 anymore but the WS-60 is the same thing with a higher speed rating. You'll be very happy with them.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:40 am

Get the Blizzaks in the Hizzouse.
Sorry... had to. I'm on dope.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:04 am

i would go with the goodyear integrity's or the goodyear assurance..
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby vice » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Blizzaks work well in the Pittsburgh snow, now on my third winter season on mine. Tire Rack had the best price.
vice
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Sparky5e » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:16 pm

No disrespect Toyo but I would put my stock in what people who live in the snowbelt say.

I have never had a set of Goodyear that were worth a darn in the snow. The Blizzak's get great ratings on Tirerack and ready to get them after spending last winter with the crappy stock rubber. Kind of a shame with less then 12K on them and 70% tread left but they suck, even with the light dusting we have gotten traction control kicks in allot and even had stability control kick in when the back end let loose once.
07 SLE Convertable
Blue Streak Metallic
TRD FSTB and RSB, OSB Pedals, OEM Nav, CPE Intake, Stainless sills, "color matching" floor mats
Sparky5e
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks for the quick replies! Just ordered the Blizzak's off of Tirerack and can't wait to get them!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NightRider » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 pm

sweet man! how much did you pay for them?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Sparky5e wrote:No disrespect Toyo but I would put my stock in what people who live in the snowbelt say.

I have never had a set of Goodyear that were worth a darn in the snow. The Blizzak's get great ratings on Tirerack and ready to get them after spending last winter with the crappy stock rubber. Kind of a shame with less then 12K on them and 70% tread left but they suck, even with the light dusting we have gotten traction control kicks in allot and even had stability control kick in when the back end let loose once.

none taken bro..yeah i know what u mean i really dont live in a place where we get snow but yeah since some of u do live in those conditions it would be obvious u would know what u guys r talking about.. :]
just kinda throwing out ideas but its all good he got his tires haha :D
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Re: Winter tires?

Postby alky181 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 pm

In the tire business for over 20 years. The Brigestone Blizzaks. There are different speed rating. I would try to stick with the same if you can 94V. I know it can't do over 149MPH but it will handle better at lower speeds. The Q speed rating is up to 88 mph and you will feel it too. Always go with the same load index 94 and speed rating V.
alky181
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Winter tires?

Postby crazygreek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am

Sorry for the late response, I purchsed a set of Nokians Hakkapeliitta on mine, it's like driving on rails. Since I lowered it though I can tell when it's snowing hard or they havn't plowed the side roads, but I have never gotten the thing stuck yet. I have had them for almost 3 seasons.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5