[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Jimmm's update, May 1, 2009
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Jimmm's update, May 1, 2009

Jimmm's update, May 1, 2009

Postby jimmm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Good Morning SolaraGuys and Dolls where ever you may be. As some of you know already (see my introduction in the intro. section of the forum) I bought my Gen 2 solara 3 months ago on Jan. 28, 2009 from a local Lexus dealership. It was in mint condition with only 59K miles, fresh oil, nearly new tires, and a flawless Carfax report. It was so perfect, in fact, that I've been very slow to think about what kind of upgrades I might want to do, so I've focused pretty much on maintenance alone. You might say that my motto has been, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." Of course, reading your posts has not only informed me but also inspired me to at least consider what options are available.

1. The first thing I changed was the oil. The Lexus sticker said to change at 64K and I was about 200 miles ahead of schedule on that. Next oil change is 67K and I'm now cruising at about 64,400K and averaging about 50 miles a day.

2. The picture showing is one I took with my cell phone the day I picked up the car. It's a 2004 but it was still turning heads at the Lexus dealership showroom with all its 2009 cousins.

3. I know that many of you have lowered your suspensions. I'm old school and I rather like mine with the ass in the air. It's like the hot rods of my day. It makes it easier for me to spot my car in a crowded parking lot.

4. If I wanted to change anything, it would be the wheels and that's only because I believe the wheels would add another dimension of individuality to the car. Wheels, however, are not cheap and I have four perfectly good wheels on the car already. If I were to damage one, I'd probably just replace it with another stock which would cost enough for me. So, I'm ok with the wheels I've got. I use my California Duster to remove the brake dust daily and the openings are wide enough to provide easy access.

5. Thanks to you guys, I learned about Meguiars Clay Bar here and I tried it on my car a couple of weeks ago. It truly is amazing. My car feels and looks like glass now. I will post a picture with a real good camera soon.

6. I just finished putting on a coat of Meguiars Gold Class clear coat wax tonight, also recommended by so many here. It looks great in the garage, but I'll surely enjoy the splendor tomorrow morning as I cruise to work at sunrise.

7; I ordered and received a set of splash guards from trdparts4u.com Wednesday and put them on today. They didn't have Desert Sand Mica, so I chose the black ones which actually match the mirror and window trim very well, not to mention the tires. Black and Gold work well together, but they are not so much for show as they are to protect the car undersides.

8. I'm still waiting for my bumper grille from Woodview.com which I ordered on April 10, but it's been on backorder. They say it will ship on May 5. Paitence is a virture I hope.

OK, that's it for now. I will post some really good pictures when I get it all together.
Jimmm
Last edited by jimmm on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yogi » Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 pm

looking good !!!

Tint the headlights a bit to match the windows..!!!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." by Albert Einstein
yogi
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 am

yogi wrote:looking good !!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Yogi, and thanks for replying to my post. I was starting to feel like the Lone Ranger. I think tinted headlights would look good on my car, but it's probably illegal in Alabama, and I need 100% of my lights showing me the way. Jimmm
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yogi » Tue May 05, 2009 1:03 pm

jimmm wrote:
yogi wrote:looking good !!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Yogi, and thanks for replying to my post. I was starting to feel like the Lone Ranger. I think tinted headlights would look good on my car, but it's probably illegal in Alabama, and I need 100% of my lights showing me the way. Jimmm

I`m pretty sure that its illegal in illinois as well.....lol
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." by Albert Einstein
yogi
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Tinted headlight

Postby jimmm » Tue May 05, 2009 1:14 pm

So, you were trying to set me up? LOL. I don't believe everything I read here and only half of what I hear. So, where are the pics of your car?
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BesI » Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm

So did you ever received the splash guards and bumper grill? I want to see some pictures ..
BesI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Splash guards and bumper grille

Postby jimmm » Mon May 11, 2009 7:52 pm

BesI wrote:So did you ever received the splash guards and bumper grill? I want to see some pictures ..

Hey BesI. Glad you asked. I got the splash guards a couple of weeks ago and put them on right away. They look great in black, but I also found a set of Desert Sand Mica guards which are on their way. I think I might like them better the same color as the car, but either way I now have a choice.

The bumper grille was on back order, so it's been a whole month since I ordered it. It is on the FedEx truck right now and is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. It's been a long wait.

I will definitely show it off when I get it. Jimmm
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Mon May 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Jim, you have an awesome solara. I cant wait to see the grill :)
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby jimmm » Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Ilovemylara wrote:Jim, you have an awesome solara. I cant wait to see the grill :)

Thanks. I am deeply moved by your comment. I'm going to make you the first member of my fan club. Sometimes I can't believe, myself, that I have such a beautiful car. Jimmm
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Clean & Classy....just the way the Solara was intended to be.

I'm definitely one to mod my cars and make them into something that's my own. Every once in while though, it's nice to see a CLEAN and bone-stock car that isn't brand new. Clear example of that right here. Car looks great man.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Tue May 12, 2009 2:51 am

Thanks, Nick. I'm really feeling what you wrote and I'm not feeling so lonely here anymore. By the way, I like very much your signature pic. Is it real? Can you drive your car on the beach like that? Jimmm
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indy04 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Jimmm, i was just wondering where you got your lower grille I have been looking for one but can only find a set of both so if you could help. thanks.
indy04
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 am

indy04 wrote:Jimmm, i was just wondering where you got your lower grille I have been looking for one but can only find a set of both so if you could help. thanks.

Welcome to SG, indy04. I see that you are new and haven't yet learned how to search properly for information. I purchased my grille four months ago, May 09, from http://www.woodview.com but it's all documented in my posting at http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php? ... ght=grille It's the same grille that BesI provided a link to you for in your other posting "Looking for Precision Lower Grille." It cost me $89.00 plus $20. shipping, and it could be bought separately or as a pair with the upper grille. You can click on the SolaraGuy.com Forum Index link at anytime you are in SG and click on the "Search" button and type in the word "grille" to find all the information that has been posted by me or anybody else here about this subject. I hope this helps. Jimmm
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indy04 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Is there any way to just buy the lower grille on that website?
indy04
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Absolutely. That's how I bought mine....separately on that site. Look again. It shows you, if fact, a price for each one separately: first the top and then the bottom. Look again, my friend. jimmm
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5