[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Stripping the paint on grill
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Stripping the paint on grill

Stripping the paint on grill

Postby copeland » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:56 am

Whats up guys..
My friend convinced me to spray paint my grill...
well it didn't turn out so good. It was decent at first, and then all the chips came! It looks horrible now, and i'm just curious on how to strip the paint on the plastic and the top metal half.

My plans are to vinyl carbon fiber the top part(might look tacky i know, but i want to try vinyling) and respray the plastic half with some clear coats this time.
Thanks in advance for your help.
copeland
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mazen222 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:10 am

ya i need to know how to do that as well... i have 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear and now its starting to chip out after 1 year
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:15 am

The spray paint will rub off with paint or laquer thinner. Just respray it with spray paint, and carry it to a body shop, and ask them to clear coat it. They'll probably charge you like 30 bucks, but it wont chip off this time.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DrLove » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:52 am

Or buy a new grill from the dealer, I did this like 2 years ago and it's still look brand new.

No need to paint, then it start to peel, you lose time and money, that's my opinion.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby drewcrane » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:34 am

if you want to strip the paint off that you put on , its easy, thinners will eat the plastic,

it may sound silly but brake fluid works very well and wont harm the plastic i swear it works try it on a small area,
but i have use this method many times it will take a little soaking ,but it will strip all the paint, and then wash it with dish soap ,use wax and grease remover to get all the other stuff off the grille and let dry and repaint,try it! it works :wink:
"its a vanishing point thing you wont understand"
drewcrane
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NightRider » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

Sounds like a lot of work for just a grill. I agree w/ what DrLove states...
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:33 am

drewcrane wrote:if you want to strip the paint off that you put on , its easy, thinners will eat the plastic,

it may sound silly but brake fluid works very well and wont harm the plastic i swear it works try it on a small area,
but i have use this method many times it will take a little soaking ,but it will strip all the paint, and then wash it with dish soap ,use wax and grease remover to get all the other stuff off the grille and let dry and repaint,try it! it works :wink:

Yeah, I agree. Brake fluid will take the paint off almost anything.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Black Bob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 am

Just slapping paint on the grill is not going to do it (clearcoat is no different) and it will flake off guranteed. You need to prep the grill like you would if you repainted your bumper--sand, wash, dry, add adhesion promoter, paint, yadda yadda yadda. Always keep in mind, plastic is thee hardest substrate to keep adhesion on. Couple that with the fact that no two plastic manufacturers use the same formulation will have you ripping your hair out trying to match the right paint with the right plastic.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby mazen222 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks for the good tips guys.

i'm getting a new grill and i will use the scrappy one and try to mod it
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:28 am

dammit. my grill needs some serious TLC but now i'm discouraged
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:37 am

For one-shot primer and adhesion I would suggest this stuff after sanding--> http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... gory_Code=

or

this stuff just came out and what my bodyshop used to refinish my front bumper---> http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=72

Good luck!
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:31 pm

i didn't know that many people painted their gen 2 grilles.....
unless ur talking about the mike T grilles
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby D-money » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:08 am

I recomend Krylon fusion spray paint that sh.. is awesome it bonds very well to plastic with no need to prime
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5