[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD Spring Collapse...???
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

TRD Spring Collapse...???

TRD Spring Collapse...???

Postby 213ninja » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Found this today when changing the belts.......it's disturbing to say the least. When we took the car off the jack stand I analyzed the ride height and the passenger side (side collapsed) is clearly lower. I have no idea how long I've been riding around like this, as there are no other signs that a problem exists. These are the TRD springs. Anyone care to recommend a replacement? Eibach Pro-Kit?

213ninja
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:53 pm

wow. that looks pretty crazy. Go with eibach for replacement.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gnegroni » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:54 pm

I think sprints breaking up is not that far fetched. One of my previous vehicles broke front left and rear right...it wasn't high mileage vehicle either.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Toy1mzfe » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 am

Thats pretty crazy man.

so one part just got weak and bent huh.

Seems liek it can be a warranty thing.
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby BesI » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:58 pm

damn thats crazyy at least you saw it
BesI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Aotoyota » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 am

that might be worth a call to toyota or trd?

if those springs are made by eibach, they should have
a good warranty.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:48 am

How old are these springs though? I thought TRD switched to red years ago.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Savoiskiy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:27 am

I know that Eibach guarantees 1 000 000 miles of driving on their springs without any sagging. And I have also read on these forums that TRD springs are produced by Eibach. Now I don't know whom to believe.
'05 SE Sport: Front Strut Brace, Rear Sway Bar, Lowering Springs, Axle-Back Exhaust, All TRD
Soon: 18" Work VS-XX Rims, Injen Intake and more goodies!
Savoiskiy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby youngblood » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:13 am

At least you didn't lose a tire when the coil broke. Ford recalled sh!tloads of cars for that very problem. My bro-in-law had that happen on his taurus while it was just sitting in the garage. That situation primarily involved cars driven in the 'rust belt'. I don't know if that applies to Maryland, but your coils didn't look that rusty. I would be talking to the manufacturer, for sure.
Remember, the Ford thing spawned a RECALL.
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 213ninja » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:28 pm

According to TRD's website there is a 12 month warranty on ALL TRD parts, with the exception of their custom race parts, which have absolutely no warranty at all whatsoever. I bought these about 3 months after I bought the car in 2004...so I'm pretty much SOL.

http://www.trdusa.com/warranty.cfm

I've never heard that Eibach makes springs for TRD, but I've owned Eibach's in the past and never had any trouble. I actually just bought the Pro-Kit for my Solara... if all goes well I'll have it installed next weekend. I mean, who couldn't use an extra half inch???
213ninja
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

B&G Lowering Springs?

Postby ATXguy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 am

I am looking to lower my new 07 Solara SE Sport Convertible - Blizzard Pearl. I just purchased it with 21k miles and want to make it look sportier...

QUESTION: Are B&G lowering springs a good quality spring and lowering solution to go with? Not much out there for reviews on this brand.

The TRD springs are great but have limited warranty (12mo). The Eibach versions of the same spring with 1m mile warranty but come in black color only - I want red for some strange reason... I did find a great price on B&G Lowering Springs that I am considering pairing with my existing SE Sport Struts. These springs provide a tad bit less lowering with Front and Rear Drop of only 1.4" but come with a lifetime warranty for $193.45 delivered price. Longer warranty, red color, less expensive, and less aggressive drop...

Note: I would also like to add spacers along with the lowering springs to the stock sport alloys to my daily driver so I am thinking the 1.4" drop will be acceptable with the 17"ers and might be a good ride while still firm enough handling. .

Thoughts?

Image[/img]
~~2007 Solara V6 Sport Convertible - Blizzard Pearl White~~
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sahuddleston » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:15 am

the TRD springs are just rebranded eibach springs. go with eibach or tein when replacing them.
2012 Ford Shelby GT500
2013 Hyundai Genesis 4.6

2002 Toyota Solara SE - First Turbo 2AZ-FE
sahuddleston
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Dawgz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:06 pm

We have seen this on the gen 1's TRD springs as well, Adam (ASG14) and I believe its the rubber casing around the bottom end of the spring which starts to let moisture in and allows it to collect in there, and then allows the metal in the region to corrode much faster.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Re: B&G Lowering Springs?

Postby sahuddleston » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:17 pm

ATXguy wrote:I am looking to lower my new 07 Solara SE Sport Convertible - Blizzard Pearl. I just purchased it with 21k miles and want to make it look sportier...

QUESTION: Are B&G lowering springs a good quality spring and lowering solution to go with? Not much out there for reviews on this brand.

The TRD springs are great but have limited warranty (12mo). The Eibach versions of the same spring with 1m mile warranty but come in black color only - I want red for some strange reason... I did find a great price on B&G Lowering Springs that I am considering pairing with my existing SE Sport Struts. These springs provide a tad bit less lowering with Front and Rear Drop of only 1.4" but come with a lifetime warranty for $193.45 delivered price. Longer warranty, red color, less expensive, and less aggressive drop...

Note: I would also like to add spacers along with the lowering springs to the stock sport alloys to my daily driver so I am thinking the 1.4" drop will be acceptable with the 17"ers and might be a good ride while still firm enough handling. .

Thoughts?

Image[/img]

you should start your own thread if you have questions regarding the springs. dont thread jack!!! i am sure you will get some good information from the guys with gen 2's.
2012 Ford Shelby GT500
2013 Hyundai Genesis 4.6

2002 Toyota Solara SE - First Turbo 2AZ-FE
sahuddleston
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5