[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tired of throttle lag?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Tired of throttle lag?

Postby SoSleek » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:57 pm

Did any of you guys really buy a Gen 2 Solara thinking it was, or could be, a performance vehicle? LOL. There are so many other cars in The Gen 2's price range that would have made a much better performance vehicle. I will say, I was very annoyed by the throttle lag. I just had the TSB finished yesterday under warranty and it has given me a NIGHT AND DAY difference. If you went into the shop for this TSB thinking you would come out with more HP or more performance, I can see why one would be disappointed. It's just going to make it drive like a normal car. :wink:
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

SoSlick - you're missing the point here entirely. :roll:

Nobody's expecting more horsepower from a jet lag issue. I was able to increase HP by at least 30 with all my mods, but it still never addressed the crappy TBW lag issues that plague the '05 and later Gen 2s!

If you got an '04 then you're lucky, but the ECU was totally redesigned in '05 and there's nothing that can be done about it unless you can bypass it completely and I haven't found anyone yet who can resolve this with aftermarket solutions and tunings. Toyota Engineering has this on record and the complaints have piled in but they have never issued a new TSB on a car they've been planning to discontinue for the past 2 years.

Do some research (or use the "Search" button above) to read about the dangers and pitfalls of throttle lag. Again, it has NOTHING to do with performance.
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Re: Tired of throttle lag?

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:31 pm

youngblood wrote:A more powerful electric motor would have no effect. It's the computer controlling the motor which 'needs' adjustment.

X2
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby GzNutz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:45 pm

So what would the sprintbooster do that a heavy foot would not?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoSleek » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 pm

I believe the OP has a 2004.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 pm

PXLpainter wrote:If you got an '04 then you're lucky

:( not I. by the time I heard about this, I was already at 90k on my 04. outside of the warranty.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:07 pm

yaddadaimsayin wrote:

:( not I. by the time I heard about this, I was already at 90k on my 04. outside of the warranty.

Just slip some service adviser a $20 and they'll get it done for you!

And guys, a heavy foot has NOTHING to do with throttle lag either!

Foot to floor... wait 2-3 seconds... then LURCH! Within that 2-3 seconds a semi could take you out if you're trying to cross a busy street or merge into fast moving traffic - or pass someone on a two-lane road. If you've ever driven an old-school carburetor aspirated engine with a manual choke, then you'll know what it might feel like if you floor it and flood it or over-choke the beast... this is the same sensation.

Also, because of the lag you're wasting a lot of gas and the tranny is working much harder than it has to. So many times I've just wanted to ease into the throttle to pass someone at a relatively low speed (30mph) and it does the lag thing and you end up flooring it to get a response which then dumps the tranny down into low and it cycles through gears like a 15 yr old chick!

Anyway - that was my rant for the NooBs - the old timers know I've been bitching about this since the day I bought my '06... and if you care to read about it, I've got posts all over.

Cheers!
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby SoSleek » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:54 pm

PXLpainter wrote:
yaddadaimsayin wrote:

Just slip some service adviser a $20 and they'll get it done for you!

And guys, a heavy foot has NOTHING to do with throttle lag either!

Foot to floor... wait 2-3 seconds... then LURCH! Within that 2-3 seconds a semi could take you out if you're trying to cross a busy street or merge into fast moving traffic - or pass someone on a two-lane road. If you've ever driven an old-school carburetor aspirated engine with a manual choke, then you'll know what it might feel like if you floor it and flood it or over-choke the beast... this is the same sensation.

Also, because of the lag you're wasting a lot of gas and the tranny is working much harder than it has to. So many times I've just wanted to ease into the throttle to pass someone at a relatively low speed (30mph) and it does the lag thing and you end up flooring it to get a response which then dumps the tranny down into low and it cycles through gears like a 15 yr old chick!

Anyway - that was my rant for the NooBs - the old timers know I've been bitching about this since the day I bought my '06... and if you care to read about it, I've got posts all over.

Cheers!

I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not debating with you. I was directing my response to the OP, as stated before. My 2004 was exactly like yours before I took it in yesterday. It's unfortunate that there is no fix for yours. :cry:
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18 pm

I noticed the same exact thing PXL has described in the Gen1. :(
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby 213ninja » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 pm

System_Crash wrote:I have an 04 3.3 v6 solara SE sport and its equipped with an electronic throttlebody. First off When I got the car it was completely stock and the throttle lag was very annoying. Alteast 4-5 second lag before "take off".
Since this I've been looking for a fix for the lag. First I replaced the stock air filter with a K and N drop in filter (yes I know I need a short ram intake in the future but I feel the stock box has enough air flow for now)
So after researching the fourm I've since performed the vaccum hose rerouting, it keeps the second intake open all the time. and I've cut out the charcol/cotton filter ontop of the air filter housing top. (had to pull the battery cables loose for 15 min.s to reset the pcm/tcm and the shift patterns (was getting a harsh down shift and high idle rpm after the mods) All this helps quite a bit. but there is still about a 2-3 second lag.
was on the net checking to see if they make a throttle cable retrofit and stumbled upon this: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/ Does anyone have this or anything like this? if so what are you're reviews/ suggestions Also has anyone heard of a throttle cable retrofit (or a more powerful electric motor to stick into the stock housing) for an electronic throttle ? Any answers would be apreciated

I have searched and searched and I cannot find the thread you mentioned here: "So after researching the forum I've since performed the vacuum hose rerouting, it keeps the second intake open all the time."

Could you point me in the right direction please? I would like to know more about this vacuum hose rerouting you speak of...

Thank you.
213ninja
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jimmm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 pm

I experienced the trottle lag annoyance a few times when I
first got my car, but it's mostly non-existant now. My first
response to combat it was to use the manual shifter and it
really helped a lot for passing, quick take offs, and so forth.
Next I started using Lucas Oil treament for fuel-injector cleaning
based on a recommendation by some guys in a parts store. I
was amazed at the difference that made by adding a bottle with
each fillup. I also started using preminum gas and even discovered
that Texaco made my car run better than Exxon. Finally, I added
the K&N air filter and my car runs like the proverbial "bat out of
hell." Now for a little zen talk. My car and I are one. We work
together. It knows my driving habits and I know its driving
habits. When you know your car and it knows you, there are
few surprises about what it can and cannot do. Jimmm
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

^ lol hilarious.

anyways, i read/tested that using the manual shifter to 5th gear at all times helps a bit. it feels like i'm sucking in more fuel but from a dead stop it feels a lot less laggy.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:39 pm

213ninja wrote:
System_Crash wrote:I have an 04 3.3 v6 solara SE sport and its equipped with an electronic throttlebody. First off When I got the car it was completely stock and the throttle lag was very annoying. Alteast 4-5 second lag before "take off".
Since this I've been looking for a fix for the lag. First I replaced the stock air filter with a K and N drop in filter (yes I know I need a short ram intake in the future but I feel the stock box has enough air flow for now)
So after researching the fourm I've since performed the vaccum hose rerouting, it keeps the second intake open all the time. and I've cut out the charcol/cotton filter ontop of the air filter housing top. (had to pull the battery cables loose for 15 min.s to reset the pcm/tcm and the shift patterns (was getting a harsh down shift and high idle rpm after the mods) All this helps quite a bit. but there is still about a 2-3 second lag.
was on the net checking to see if they make a throttle cable retrofit and stumbled upon this: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/ Does anyone have this or anything like this? if so what are you're reviews/ suggestions Also has anyone heard of a throttle cable retrofit (or a more powerful electric motor to stick into the stock housing) for an electronic throttle ? Any answers would be apreciated

I have searched and searched and I cannot find the thread you mentioned here: "So after researching the forum I've since performed the vacuum hose rerouting, it keeps the second intake open all the time."

Could you point me in the right direction please? I would like to know more about this vacuum hose rerouting you speak of...

Thank you.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/gabby/intake_mod.htm
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 213ninja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 pm

That's much appreciated sir.
213ninja
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Does the same problem exist in the 4 cylinder?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5