[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tired of throttle lag?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Tired of throttle lag?

Tired of throttle lag?

Postby System_Crash » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:34 pm

I have an 04 3.3 v6 solara SE sport and its equipped with an electronic throttlebody. First off When I got the car it was completely stock and the throttle lag was very annoying. Alteast 4-5 second lag before "take off".
Since this I've been looking for a fix for the lag. First I replaced the stock air filter with a K and N drop in filter (yes I know I need a short ram intake in the future but I feel the stock box has enough air flow for now)
So after researching the fourm I've since performed the vaccum hose rerouting, it keeps the second intake open all the time. and I've cut out the charcol/cotton filter ontop of the air filter housing top. (had to pull the battery cables loose for 15 min.s to reset the pcm/tcm and the shift patterns (was getting a harsh down shift and high idle rpm after the mods) All this helps quite a bit. but there is still about a 2-3 second lag.
was on the net checking to see if they make a throttle cable retrofit and stumbled upon this: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/ Does anyone have this or anything like this? if so what are you're reviews/ suggestions Also has anyone heard of a throttle cable retrofit (or a more powerful electric motor to stick into the stock housing) for an electronic throttle ? Any answers would be apreciated
Pearl White 2004 Solara V6 90,000 miles

System_Crash
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Can't go wrong with a money back guarantee, I say give it a try.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PhreakdOut » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Toyota has a TSB to fix / help with this issue. I had my Gen2 done in 2005 and it helped a lot. The Injen SRI helped even more.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Black Bob » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:03 pm

I got the fix and don't really have a problem with the lag off the starting jump but I still have that HUGE bog down when I slow down for a turn and then try to power out of it. I'm still guessing this "bogging" was engineered to prevent the back end from sliding out during the turn. It's a godsend in the snow but it makes you feel like less than a man on dry, hot roads.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby BadAngel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Yeah There was a TSB for this, i had mine fixed and it took care of the lagging problem...
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:50 pm

wasn't it for 82k miles or less or something like that? I wanted to get it done but can't. :( this car is so weaksauce with such little support. dammit toyota!!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby BadAngel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:16 am

I dunno about the specifics of it... But i only have 42000 miles and only had like 36000 when i got it done
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:19 pm

What is the best way about approaching the dealership for the TSB? I just don't want them to give me some bs and then charge me for the TSB which should be free.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby BadAngel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:19 pm

I just went in and told them somehting like "Hey i've been noticing a lot of lag in the throttle, and its actually been scaring me a bit. I feel like one time when i really need the responsiveness like when I'm pulling out onto a busy street or trying to pass a truck, the lag is going to cause me to judge it wrong and possibly put myself or someone else in danger. I read that there was a TSB on this issue, and i would really appreciate you checking it out."
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Tired of throttle lag?

Postby youngblood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

System_Crash wrote:I have an 04 3.3 v6 solara SE sport and its equipped with an electronic throttlebody. First off When I got the car it was completely stock and the throttle lag was very annoying. Alteast 4-5 second lag before "take off".
Since this I've been looking for a fix for the lag. First I replaced the stock air filter with a K and N drop in filter (yes I know I need a short ram intake in the future but I feel the stock box has enough air flow for now)
So after researching the fourm I've since performed the vaccum hose rerouting, it keeps the second intake open all the time. and I've cut out the charcol/cotton filter ontop of the air filter housing top. (had to pull the battery cables loose for 15 min.s to reset the pcm/tcm and the shift patterns (was getting a harsh down shift and high idle rpm after the mods) All this helps quite a bit. but there is still about a 2-3 second lag.
was on the net checking to see if they make a throttle cable retrofit and stumbled upon this: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/ Does anyone have this or anything like this? if so what are you're reviews/ suggestions Also has anyone heard of a throttle cable retrofit (or a more powerful electric motor to stick into the stock housing) for an electronic throttle ? Any answers would be apreciated

A more powerful electric motor would have no effect. It's the computer controlling the motor which 'needs' adjustment.
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:39 am

BadAngel wrote:I just went in and told them somehting like "Hey i've been noticing a lot of lag in the throttle, and its actually been scaring me a bit. I feel like one time when i really need the responsiveness like when I'm pulling out onto a busy street or trying to pass a truck, the lag is going to cause me to judge it wrong and possibly put myself or someone else in danger. I read that there was a TSB on this issue, and i would really appreciate you checking it out."

Thanks, I'm going to have to go do this.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NightRider » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:23 am

lol 329 for this?! That's expensive you going to get it?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:42 am

Sorry but even with the TSB, you're totally fukked. Car was engineered to be a performance-sucking POS - not to mention the danger of throttle lag issues!!

I'd rather have a Gen 1 V6 with Stick that you can truly mod and get some performance out of it. That's why I'm stripping mine and moving on. :-?
Last edited by PXLpainter on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby NightRider » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:35 pm

^^ what are you getting next?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CosmicGrooves » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Just anther gimmick. It would be cool if I'm wrong, though.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5