[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tired of throttle lag?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Tired of throttle lag?

Postby jimmm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:54 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:same here... but it does make a difference to manually shift, but you lose fuel economy that way

I think you lose fuel economy ONLY when you wind out
your gears. If you shift fast and get to high gear as quickly
as possible, you probably get the same or better economy. Jimmm
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby poland » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:39 am

ok. I tried reconecting pipes and this "keeping it in 5th" trick. I reset ECU and i that helps me a lot with the lag. But my fuel economy go down from 20.82 mpg (only city) to 18.1.
poland
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby j_dizzo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 am

to answer wkbrdr91's question asked a few pages back, about the 4 bangers, I have that issue as well. the K&N SRI helped but there's still a noticeable lag. Tiptronic is nice, but has a lag of its own, I guess coming from driving a stick, its quite disappointing. Toyota should've put a faster responding triptronic on the solaras (i.e. IS300, has a pretty fast/responsive one)
2007/Gen 2.5 SE Classic Silver Metallic 2.4L I4
8000K HID//Pioneer Avic-D1 Nav//PS 2 (Slim)/AUX A/V port//IPod/video port//K&N 69-8609TTK Typhoon SRI//TRD RSB/FTSB/Exhaust//LED Footbay Lights//2500K Fog lights//Mike T's Upper Grill
j_dizzo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 pm

TIRED OF TROTTLE LAG?
Buy another car.
Jimmm
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:24 pm

jimmm wrote:TIRED OF TROTTLE LAG?
Buy another car.
Jimmm

Ok - I did. No more lag (but I won't win any races either!) ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby 213ninja » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 pm

PXLpainter wrote:
Buy another car.
Jimmm

ok...what did you get...???
213ninja
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:22 pm

213ninja wrote:
PXLpainter wrote:
Buy another car.
Jimmm

ok...what did you get...???

Bye-Bye Solara... http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=46337 :)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby MrMikeL » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:54 pm

For those of you to whom this applies (older Gen 2's), you should have had the TSB applied - it does make a huge difference. Now I'm not petrified when I move into the acceleration lane with a 20 ton semi coming up fast behind me. Another thing I have not seen mentioned here is to disconnect your battery for 30 minutes. This has the affect of wiping out the memory of your driving habits, and forcing the car to re-learn. That too can make a difference with the lag.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crazygreek » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am

PXLpainter wrote:If you got an '04 then you're lucky, but the ECU was totally redesigned in '05 and there's nothing that can be done about it unless you can bypass it completely and I haven't found anyone yet who can resolve this with aftermarket solutions and tunings. Toyota Engineering has this on record and the complaints have piled in but they have never issued a new TSB on a car they've been planning to discontinue for the past 2 years.

My '04 Solara bought in September of 03 (The first in my town) has always had this throttle lag issue. I take it to the dealership every six months since I've owned it and complained about it. They have done all the upgrades, flashs and fixes nothing has worked. Flashed engine cpu and transmission CPU with no fix. I have noticed that after they flash everything seems to be ok for about a week. Then it starts acting up again and gets worse as the day goes on. It is by far the most frustrating thing I have had to deal with. Only thing I can say is the lag only happens from a stop or a slow roll to mild or full throttle acceleration. If I'm moving at 70 and punch it were ok. I've read these posts on this web site up and down. Everybody has been very helpful but the bottom line is there is no fix for this problem.

I love my car but I am getting to the point of saying good bye to it soon. I am find myself driving it less and less just to not deal with the throttle lag.

Sorry for venting it just totaly sucks.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PXLpainter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:33 pm

crazygreek wrote:
PXLpainter wrote:If you got an '04 then you're lucky, but the ECU was totally redesigned in '05 and there's nothing that can be done about it unless you can bypass it completely and I haven't found anyone yet who can resolve this with aftermarket solutions and tunings. Toyota Engineering has this on record and the complaints have piled in but they have never issued a new TSB on a car they've been planning to discontinue for the past 2 years.

My '04 Solara bought in September of 03 (The first in my town) has always had this throttle lag issue. I take it to the dealership every six months since I've owned it and complained about it. They have done all the upgrades, flashs and fixes nothing has worked. Flashed engine cpu and transmission CPU with no fix. I have noticed that after they flash everything seems to be ok for about a week. Then it starts acting up again and gets worse as the day goes on. It is by far the most frustrating thing I have had to deal with. Only thing I can say is the lag only happens from a stop or a slow roll to mild or full throttle acceleration. If I'm moving at 70 and punch it were ok. I've read these posts on this web site up and down. Everybody has been very helpful but the bottom line is there is no fix for this problem.

I love my car but I am getting to the point of saying good bye to it soon. I am find myself driving it less and less just to not deal with the throttle lag.

Sorry for venting it just totaly sucks.

Amen. I've "almost" forgotten what it was like now. :drinking: :angel: :evilbat:
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby crazygreek » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:36 am

Another throttle lag. Oh well. Guess another call to Toyota......Again.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5